Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any uk trained midwives working in the U.S?

Any uk trained midwives working in the U.S?

Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Samanthafenn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any uk trained midwives working in the U.S?

He has worked for a digital media company for the last 5 and a half years and has just got a new job which is not a permanent contract for the first 6 months but will more than likely be made permanent after 6 months. So we wouldn't be able to do anything until we knew for definite he had a permanent job and the company he's going to be working for will transfer to Orlando
Old Apr 6th 2016, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would he not want to find out now or look for an employer who will?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a midwife but I echo the other poster. Births are doctor led here. I did not encounter one midwife in the two births if my kids here in California. They have lab or and delivery nurses here who help you through the birth....doctor pops up at the end. What I will say is as a uk teacher I have had to take many exams to convert my credential. I still have three sets of big exams to go....till then I csn only substitute teach. Badly paid compared to the UK.
Oh and we already have green cards. I would try and find a state that has a need for labor and delivery nurses. I do know nurses get paid well here. 60 to 80 k in major cities in California....so a little more than nurses in the UK. I did meet two lovely British nurses trained in the UK who were lactation consultants, when I had my daughter.They came out on husband's jobs , got green cards after some time here and then found those roles ...maybe required less retraining ....I am guessing on that though. Anecdotal but hope it helps.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Cherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond reputeCherrysoda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cherrysoda
I am not a midwife but I echo the other poster. Births are doctor led here. I did not encounter one midwife in the two births if my kids here in California. They have lab or and delivery nurses here who help you through the birth....doctor pops up at the end. What I will say is as a uk teacher I have had to take many exams to convert my credential. I still have three sets of big exams to go....till then I csn only substitute teach. Badly paid compared to the UK.
Oh and we already have green cards. I would try and find a state that has a need for labor and delivery nurses. I do know nurses get paid well here. 60 to 80 k in major cities in California....so a little more than nurses in the UK. I did meet two lovely British nurses trained in the UK who were lactation consultants, when I had my daughter.They came out on husband's jobs , got green cards after some time here and then found those roles ...maybe required less retraining ....I am guessing on that though. Anecdotal but hope it helps.
Having said all that...we do love living here mostly and feel our quality of life is higher than it was in London so if you can find a way to make it happen, I think it is worth it. It has been for us.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

MImiMG...I have moved your posts into a new thread here...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/nurse.../#post12097064