Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any Reason not to give SSN to bank?

Any Reason not to give SSN to bank?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Reason not to give SSN to bank?

We have applied for a Credit Card from Bank of America.. They have asked for us verify our SSN.. and a copy of utility bill etc... I thought they already had our SSN...? Maybe not... Anyway is there any reason NOT to give them it... My sister (USC) has frightened the life outta me, telling me to give it to no-one noway!!...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:52 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Reason not to give SSN to bank?

Originally Posted by sambapink
We have applied for a Credit Card from Bank of America.. They have asked for us verify our SSN.. and a copy of utility bill etc... I thought they already had our SSN...? Maybe not... Anyway is there any reason NOT to give them it... My sister (USC) has frightened the life outta me, telling me to give it to no-one noway!!...
You are required to give it to them. I see nothing wrong as long as you do it in person and see exactly how your paperwork is being handled. It's the only way they have to positively report to the Feds in case hanky panky goes down with your account. Plus it's one extra step they use to identify you. Imagine me going into a bank with just your name and address and forged drivers license, licenses that no longer display SSN's. It would be so easy for me. So take solace in this extra measure. Checking your credit report once a year will help you with fraudulent activity such as identity theft. Not withholding your SSN from an institution such as Bank of America.

Last edited by ugacrew; Jul 23rd 2008 at 2:55 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You are required to give it to them. I see nothing wrong as long as you do it in person and see exactly how your paperwork is being handled. It's the only way they have to positively report to the Feds in case hanky panky goes down with your checking account. Plus it's one extra step they use to identify you. Imagine me going into a bank with just your name and address and forged drivers license, licenses that no longer display SSN's. It would be so easy for me. So take solace in this extra measure. Checking your credit report once a year will help you with fraudulent activity such as identity theft. Not withholding your SSN from any and everyone, especially an institution such as Bank of America.
Ohhhh so no hanky panky then...

We have to send a copy of OH's SSN card... is that ok too...??
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:02 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhhh so no hanky panky then...

We have to send a copy of OH's SSN card... is that ok too...??
I'm kinda iffy on the electronic transmission of such information outside of secure channels. Is there a way you can have your documents processed at a branch? I do find it odd that they need an actual copy of the card. I've never been asked for mine, however this could be a new level of protection added for the consumer.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:03 am
Riding on silver wings

They've asked for my SSN but not my card. I need to clarify that.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:03 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

You are required to give it to them. .
Yep. They are required to report interest income to the IRS.

If someone phones you up claiming to be from a bank and requests it, then be suspicious and don't give it to them. But if you are dealing directly with the bank and you know that the person with whom you are dealing is legitimate (i.e. you're sitting there in the branch dealing with them), then yes, you should provide it.

In light of recent events, do keep in mind the insured limit on accounts is $100,000. If you have cash, divide it up among different banks so that you stay under the limit.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

I'll get OH to call and clarify what they actually need... and to see if we can do this in-branch.. would feel better about that...

thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:34 am
Not a desperate housewife

EnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really nice

I'll get OH to call and clarify what they actually need... and to see if we can do this in-branch.. would feel better about that...

thanks
and there was me thinking this was a secret credit card.... not one that the OH should know about!!!!

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by EnglishRose84
and there was me thinking this was a secret credit card.... not one that the OH should know about!!!!

Shhhhhhhh.. Thats another one...
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:44 am
Not a desperate housewife

EnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really nice

Shhhhhhhh.. Thats another one...
LOL I need some tips off you!!

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

So what happens if you dont have a SSN? Cos you can still open an account without one.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
So what happens if you dont have a SSN? Cos you can still open an account without one.
Yeah we have accounts with them.. have done for a year... this is for a credit card... seems a bit strange.. and infact the bank has our SSN's anyway(we think). The letter was obviously generated from another department/system.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You are required to give it to them.
No you aren't ...

... but then again they aren't required to open an account for you.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 5:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
The Patriot (Paranoid) Act states that if you have a SSN, you must provide it. If you don't have one, you must prove your identity.

If it's a savings account and you don't provide either an SSN or ITIN, the bank will withhold tax on the interest. Some banks will simply decline to open an interest paying account without a number.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The Patriot (Paranoid) Act states that if you have a SSN, you must provide it. If you don't have one, you must prove your identity.

If it's a savings account and you don't provide either an SSN or ITIN, the bank will withhold tax on the interest. Some banks will simply decline to open an interest paying account without a number.
Thanks FB

I was curious - I applied for my SSN on Monday.....apparently I'll soon be able to obtain recognition that I am a live person!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.