any POE?!

Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

hoosier wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any POE?!

Hiya Folks,

i have just a quick question....... im having a 'brain fart' moment.......

Im just curious as to my POE. I am planning on leaving the country as soon as i get my k1 visa. I have the chance of flying from Manchester (UK) to France and then onto Cinncinatti, Ohio (USA). AS Cinnci is a small ariport i was wondering if i should maybe go via Chicago/Philly/Newark/JFK or even Atlanta....... im guessing those are major airports and i know they ALL will fly me to Cinnci.

Does it matter?! Thats my question!!!!!!!!! and on the same note, does it matter if i get a round trip ticket or a one way ticket?! Id prefer to get the cheaper one but hey anything will do!

Cheers!

Shaun
Old Apr 22nd 2003, 11:55 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default why not Cin?

I am not from Cincy, but I do know the airport well. Is there a specific reason for wanting to go thru Chicago/other? Cincy has a very good airport- small is not a bad thing these days. My fiancee has gone thru there on a visa waiver, with no problems... I also fly thru there from time to time, and always had a good experience. If this is for reasons of the EAD- I know there is a website detailing people's experiences from all over the country... I just cant find it now. I know there were a few places where people almost always got the EAD, and others where it was never given. In our experiences, Newark and Atlanta were the worst- as far as secondary screening and general hassles by the INS Agents...Philly and Cinn were no problem- but that is only one couples unique experience.

Also- from a Hoosier (living in Georgia) welcome to Indiana!!!!

Last edited by ironporer; Apr 22nd 2003 at 11:58 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Hiya

My reason for going trhough Cinnci is becuase it is the closest airport to where my fiance lives. Im just worried that i need to go through a 'major' airport with my k1 visa an all. Does it matter or should i try Manchester > Philly > Cinnci as a better way of entering the country? I like Cinnci, small is GREAt to me...... less area to get lost in. LOL.

Shaun
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 12:08 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute
Default don't know...

I really dont think it matter's where you enter- all Int'l, like airports should be equipped to process K-1 entrants. Philly treated us well... but we chose it on a cost basis- US Air had the cheapest flights to Spain. It was only after entering thru Cin that we had (she had I should say) problems at Newark and Atlanta.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 12:14 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any POE?!

Originally posted by hoosier wannabe
Hiya Folks,

i have just a quick question....... im having a 'brain fart' moment.......

Im just curious as to my POE. I am planning on leaving the country as soon as i get my k1 visa. I have the chance of flying from Manchester (UK) to France and then onto Cinncinatti, Ohio (USA). AS Cinnci is a small ariport i was wondering if i should maybe go via Chicago/Philly/Newark/JFK or even Atlanta....... im guessing those are major airports and i know they ALL will fly me to Cinnci.

Does it matter?! Thats my question!!!!!!!!! and on the same note, does it matter if i get a round trip ticket or a one way ticket?! Id prefer to get the cheaper one but hey anything will do!

Cheers!

Shaun
If Cinncinatti accepts international flights, they'll take you and your immigration paperwork (and the horse you rode in on?). Is it cheaper to fly through France? I recall seeing some cheap Man tickets at the Cheap Flights Discussion on eurotrip.com...

As for R/T or O/W: buy the least expensive one & happy travels!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 12:30 am
Mrtravel

hoosier wannabe wrote:
    >
    > Does it matter?! Thats my question!!!!!!!!! and on the same note, does
    > it matter if i get a round trip ticket or a one way ticket?! Id prefer
    > to get the cheaper one but hey anything will do!

Pick whatever airline, airport, schedules, or ticket type you want. It
doesn't matter to INS.

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

brianheart is an unknown quantity at this point

hello, i'm awaiting for my fiance's petition to be approved from nebraska and i live in cincinnati. cvg is absolutely capable of handling your k-1. i've also read on some other site about k-1s that other fiance visa holders have entered through cincinnati. you shouldnt have anything to worry about, but i will tell ya my experience upon returning from austria, the immigration officers were real d__ck heads if ya know what i mean. even to a usc. but i think we all know they got a job with power cuz they have no self esteem or they were bullied in high school. but just be positive and yes sir no sir what ever and you'll be fine. just remember how long you waited to get to the poe and the future you'll have. good luck
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 1:30 am
Chesurcat

>Philly and Cinn were no problem- but that is only one couples
    >unique experience.

I can add another couple's experience at Cincinnati (where I live). Last fall,
my then-boyfriend came in on the flight from Paris (he's from Germany). The
INS guy was stamping his passport and said, "I see you're visiting here a lot."
Achim said something about visiting a friend in Cincinnati. The agent went
on, "If you two decide to get married, here's what you do," and helpfully
proceeded to describe the K1 visa.

We've not had any problems in Cincinnati. Now keep your fingers crossed for
Friday when Achim comes for a visit (even with the K1 pending, and, yes, he's
got his evidence he's returning)!

LORI, Cincy, & Achim, Germany
1st NOA Jan. 16, 2003

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 3:58 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya

My reason for going trhough Cinnci is becuase it is the closest airport to where my fiance lives. Im just worried that i need to go through a 'major' airport with my k1 visa an all. Does it matter or should i try Manchester > Philly > Cinnci as a better way of entering the country? I like Cinnci, small is GREAt to me...... less area to get lost in. LOL.

Shaun
Cincy or CVG does qualify as an international airport. The only POE that I have heard of giving stamps for the EAD in the last six months is JFK (I hate JFK). I've flown in and out of all of the major airports on the eastern seaboard (and CVG) for transatlantic flights during the last 20 years. As was stated earlier, small is not bad, especially in this day and age........
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Default Cheers!

Thanks guys n gals........ i really appreciate your input. I think Cincy is defiantley the way to go. Brianheart....... thanks for the sound advice, im a little uneasy at the thought of insecure guys with guns giving me the third degree but hey, im british, i can take a good beating

Thanks again!

Shaun
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brianheart <snip>the immigration officers were real d__ck heads if ya know what i mean. even to a usc. but i think we all know they got a job with power cuz they have no self esteem or they were bullied in high school. but just be positive and yes sir no sir what ever and you'll be fine. just remember how long you waited to get to the poe and the future you'll have. good luck
You know, when I first read this, I had a problem with it. You've made charactarizations of people not based on fact, you stated it was 'based on your experience' but did not give any details and I personally think that's irresponsible. My opinion, right? Look at the fallout as I read further:

hoosier wannabe wrote: <snip>Brianheart....... thanks for the sound advice, im a little uneasy at the thought of insecure guys with guns giving me the third degree but hey, im british, i can take a good beating

Thanks again!
Shaun
We should all keep in mind that Americans have a different relationship with armed officers than people from other countries, particularly Brits. The thought of a trained, Federal officer wearing a sidearm does not affect me in terms of fear for my safety. On the other hand, my lack of daily experience with 17 year-old conscripts carrying automatic rifles tended to make me more nervous when traveling in Mexico and C. America, until I got more acclimated to *that*.

Shaun, insecure or not, armed or not, the POE officiers are not going to give you the "third degree". Entering with a K1 is a legitimate activity, and if you are not running drugs or smuggling cash, you have very little, if anything to be concerned with other than finding your way around the airport.

I realize this is pretty OT, but I just don't think that stereotypes should be promoted here. (I am also, for the record, not a gun owner or 2nd Ammendment freak and am married to a UKC) BCIS personnel are not the ones responsible for their system being a bit wonky. They are professionals doing their jobs. Treat them professionally and you will be treated professionally. Actually, you'll probably be treated that way even if you act like a d__k yourself.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

I have to disagree with one of your points...not all these officers are professional in thier job in my experience, when I was detained for 2 and half hours and interviewed four times by three different officers, taken into a room, intimidated and seperated from my USC husband who was absolutely appalled at my treatment at the hands of the Immigration officers and the first immigration officer was also appalled, when he realised I was still there after he had already interviewed me and given me a green card to fill in, which happened to be in French and which subsequently sucked me back into the nightmare interviews i was then subjected to. I remained polite and courteuos the whole time even though I was not allowed to go to the bathroom and being a woman i desperatley needed to. The brute of an immigration officer who came right up into my face when i asked a question and said "listen lady I am doing you a favour here so I suggest you keep your mouth shut" was still smirking when we returned 40 minutes later to get my driving licence and plane tickets which were not given back to us when finally we were told to we could leave and which we left behind in the relief off being finally able to get out that place.
Sterotype or not...there were three officers (one guy and two females) at the border of ****** and ****** that day, who used their power of their posiiton to play with me and one really stern, professional man who did his job properly.
I was treated with disrespect, contempt and intimidated at the hands of these individuals and there was nothing I could do about it but endure it. They had nothing on me to stop me entering the US so they were making it up as they went along.
After the first professional offficer took the guy to one side and had a quiet word in his ear we were then allowed a green card (in english) and my ordeal was over. My husband (USC) felt sick and for a really long while he felt ashamed to be American.

Last edited by northspoon; Apr 24th 2003 at 1:28 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing that unpleasant experience with us northspoon, im sorry that even happened but it kind of confirms my fear of entering into America......... Yes i will have a visa and yes i wont be illegal or doing anything that might cause me to be HOWEVER the POE Officers scare me to death. For one, im from England, ive NEVER seen a cop with a gun at an English airport and for two I understand and respect their position although they dont need to be unfriendly or unhelpful!

The last time i entered the USA i almost got clubbed to death by a POE officer all because my my big toe had crossed the waiting line. I mean come on........The officers in England helped me get on the plane with my crutches!

I didnt mean to offend ya meauxna! Sorry! Im just voicing my nerves and doing it badly!

Shaun
ps Northspoon, where in Yorkshire are you from?!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

northspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nicenorthspoon is just really nice

Hi Hoosier
guess what??I am from Hull also!!!!!
Let me please try and put your mind at rest...but first i must tell you about my"FIRST" POE experience...I think it was mostly down to naivety...when i visited the US with my children for the first time in my entire life i was full of hope and innocence. The guy asked me..."who was i visiting" I said " a friend" he said "how did you meet him?" I said " on the internet.
He took me and my children aside...seperated me from my children...searched my luggage...rang my "boyfriend" and confirmed stuff and said that he didn't think i was a bad person but had to follow through and determine whether he thought i might be trying to stay illegally or not....he said he would give me the benefit of the doubt and endorse my passport...that experience was enough to deter anyone coming to the US.... I spoke to people after this experince and they said i fit into a catogory "single attractive female,visiting an unattched US male"
I was quite happy to fit into the "attractive" part but still scared next time i visited.
however...my second try, culminated in the experience i described earlier, which i had dealt with and did not anticipate.........
I did not expect the treatment i got on my second visit but i think i was a victim of circumstance and i would hate to put people off because i know for sure, if i had had the "english" form in the first place, I would not have anything to write about now.
What got up the nose of the lady officer, was the fact that i asked her, in a very polite way, to pass me an "english form"
she said "lady, im busy....very busy" and it went downhill from there......
what I asked this woman, was in no way anything that should have lead to the treatment that I recieved at the hands of the officers at the POE but sadly for me it did.
I want to stress that my experience does not necessarliy have to be repeated for anyone....I just needed to reiterate a previous post....it seems that in a number of cases that the POE officers abuse thier position as immigration officers....hence the sterotype that POE officers can be seen as unprofessional dickheads!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing that unpleasant experience with us northspoon, im sorry that even happened but it kind of confirms my fear of entering into America......... Yes i will have a visa and yes i wont be illegal or doing anything that might cause me to be HOWEVER the POE Officers scare me to death. For one, im from England, ive NEVER seen a cop with a gun at an English airport and for two I understand and respect their position although they dont need to be unfriendly or unhelpful!

The last time i entered the USA i almost got clubbed to death by a POE officer all because my my big toe had crossed the waiting line. I mean come on........The officers in England helped me get on the plane with my crutches!

I didnt mean to offend ya meauxna! Sorry! Im just voicing my nerves and doing it badly!

Shaun
ps Northspoon, where in Yorkshire are you from?!
Hi there bud
just one last thing to add...please take the guns out of the equation...they are just part of another culture but somewhat irrelavant to your future status in the USA.

You will have a visa when you enter the USA and that will make aLLLLLLL the difference...please dont be scared...i have every optomism that you will be fine, just like the thousands that have gone before you...i may have been unlucky and treat like S**t but that doesnt mean (and i am sure it wont) that this will happen to you....i was just supporting a previous post regarding POE officials as being dickheads and steretypically so......and i stand firm on my convictions!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.