Any last minute POE advice?

Old Jun 30th 2003, 9:18 am
Life is good!

Tbone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any last minute POE advice?

Hi everyone!

Well, the time has nearly come: I've got my CR-1 visa, I've got a one-way ticket and, on Sunday, I'll be arriving at LAX to start a new life with the girl of my dreams.

Does anyone have any last minute advice for me? I'm thinking of things such as how to negotiate the POE minefield, things you did (or wish you'd done) before you left, etc. Also, does anyone have any experience with this new system of automatically assigning a SSN to CR-1 holders? Does it work? They say it shouldn't take more than 3 weeks, but we all know how inaccurate timelines can be!

I know I shouldn't be worrying, but we've come so far - I don't want to screw it up now.

Aaarrrgghhh, I CAN'T WAIT!!

Anthony
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

hoosier wannabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey!

Dont stress! Stay calm, breath and relax! Its really not that bad!

I went through Newark as my poe and it went well. Just dont forget that you need ALL your paperwork in your hand luggage..... they may require to see any kind of document so be prepared. I had my visa file in my bag so i knew if they asked for anything, i would have it!

If there was one last thing to tell you........ bring as much of your country with you! Flags, food, pictures, music etc etc! And enjoy your last few days with your family!

Stress not my friend soon you will be in the arms of your eternal partner FOR GOOD!

Good luck and god speed
Shaun

ps i dont the answers tto the rest of your post, im hoping someone will though!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 10:39 am
Life is good!

Thanks Shaun, I needed to hear that.

As far as bringing my country with me goes, I'm trying to see this as an opportunity to get rid of a lot of stuff that I've been hanging onto for years. I even took a big box of clothes to the charity store today!

It's strange, I feel as though I'm already leaving my old life behind.

Anthony

Originally posted by hoosier wannabe
Hey!

Dont stress! Stay calm, breath and relax! Its really not that bad!

I went through Newark as my poe and it went well. Just dont forget that you need ALL your paperwork in your hand luggage..... they may require to see any kind of document so be prepared. I had my visa file in my bag so i knew if they asked for anything, i would have it!

If there was one last thing to tell you........ bring as much of your country with you! Flags, food, pictures, music etc etc! And enjoy your last few days with your family!

Stress not my friend soon you will be in the arms of your eternal partner FOR GOOD!

Good luck and god speed
Shaun

ps i dont the answers tto the rest of your post, im hoping someone will though!
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:40 pm
ScarlettHill

My POE advice: relax, smile and enjoy the ride. You're already a resident and should have no problems.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Jul 1st 2003, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

desusa is an unknown quantity at this point

You are so close now!!

You'll be fine, basically once you get there they will take over and IMO the best thing to do is to look meek and mild with a smile! I look at it as, speak when you are spoken to and make sure you listen to them!!

Make sure you check everything they write, try to keep an eye on what they are doing, as you want your correct A# written on everything. I could see the consular officer mess up my A# on one of my forms and ensured that he noticed and corrected it hoping to avoid any problems later!

Make sure you ask any questions you have before you leave the immigration area, but I would wait until after they do the paperwork so as not to confuse them while they are concentrating. If they are anything like mine, they will be happy to explain it before you leave anyway.

Best of luck Anthony, and best wishes for your reunion! Keep in touch
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

surfsbabe will become famous soon enough

Hi Anthony, cant tell you anything about what you should expect at LAX, but don't forget to take with you the following essentials: vegemite, tim tams, anzac biscuits and the recipe so you can make more, minties, violet crumbles, and cherry ripes.

Good luck!!!!

Kate
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:15 am
Life is good!

Originally posted by surfsbabe
Hi Anthony, cant tell you anything about what you should expect at LAX, but don't forget to take with you the following essentials: vegemite, tim tams, anzac biscuits and the recipe so you can make more, minties, violet crumbles, and cherry ripes.

Good luck!!!!

Kate
It's funny you should mention that. When Emma was last here (for our wedding and DCF interview ) she fell in love with Caramello Koalas! So there'll be a few packets of those in my bag.

Again, I want to thank everyone for all your support and advice. I can't believe the wait is nearly over!

Anthony
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

You are flying out this Sunday? If so, WOOHOO! only a few more days! Best of luck to you, you'll be fine
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Remember, at the LA POE you MUST stand on your left foot the entire time, otherwise they send you right back.............

Originally posted by NevAnna
You are flying out this Sunday? If so, WOOHOO! only a few more days! Best of luck to you, you'll be fine
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 11:46 am
Life is good!

Originally posted by DCMark
Remember, at the LA POE you MUST stand on your left foot the entire time, otherwise they send you right back.............
That's OK, we've been "jumping through hoops" for months - a little while standing on one foot shouldn't be a problem!

Anthony
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 1:14 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My advice............don't hold your breath with excitement on the flight!!!!!
Have a great journey, and think about not having to get on a plane without your loved one ever again!!!! All the best!
Kate. xxxxx
Old Jul 3rd 2003, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DCMark
I see that you guys haven't been to LAX's Bradley Terminal for a while.

The Hokey Pokey is now required. Especially the turn-yourself-around part. It's very important for you to have just the right amount of disorientation if you're going to fit into LA.

Good luck and have a safe flight home, Anthony!