Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any good Head hunters IT/Logistics

Any good Head hunters IT/Logistics

Old Oct 19th 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any good Head hunters IT/Logistics

Can anybody who has been head hunted before suggest what is the right way to approach the head hunters. Are there any good HH that you would recommend.

I am looking for something in the IT or Supply chain arena.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any good Head hunters IT/Logistics

Originally Posted by sudha
Can anybody who has been head hunted before suggest what is the right way to approach the head hunters.
My wife was head hunted. It's very simple... you don't approach head hunters. They approach you. End of story.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My wife was head hunted. It's very simple... you don't approach head hunters. They approach you. End of story.

Ian
Thats nice to know, Good for you. The thing I am looking for is, how to make yourself visible to be head hunted. Lets say in UK we put our CV on couple of jobsites, Similarly do we put our CV on Monster and Dice and hope for the best. Is this the only approach or are there any other things that we can do to be visibile.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I am looking for is, how to make yourself visible to be head hunted.
That's a lot different than the "right way to approach the head hunters".

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The thing I am looking for is, how to make yourself visible to be head hunted.
Do something in your industry that gets you noticed. If your name is known to a bunch of people in your industry and connected to something specific (and impressive) then somebody will ask a head hunter to go and get you. You want a recruitment agency not a head hunter, it's big difference and not much use to you if you are looking for visa sponsorship.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Can anybody who has been head hunted before suggest what is the right way to approach the head hunters. Are there any good HH that you would recommend.

Try joining a networking website, like LinkedIn.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thats nice to know, Good for you. The thing I am looking for is, how to make yourself visible to be head hunted. Lets say in UK we put our CV on couple of jobsites, Similarly do we put our CV on Monster and Dice and hope for the best. Is this the only approach or are there any other things that we can do to be visibile.
That's how a recruitment agency, rather than headhunter, would find you. Two very different things.

A recruitment agency is more general and will contact you on a speculative basis having seen you on Monster etc, but a headhunter will just contact you out of the blue (for a specific role) having tracked you down on request from a potential employer.

My husband is not on any of those websites (or even Linkedin), but he's headhunted on a weekly basis because he's well known in his industry and he's being targetted for his specific skills and achievements.

You shouldn't need to make yourself 'visible' to a headhunter - that's the whole point of them! They'll find you anyway if you're good enough to be known.

Old Oct 19th 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

crosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud ofcrosscountryrider has much to be proud of

You can load your resume onto www.dice.com .Also monster.com

is a good address.Monster.com is more popular in the US
than in UK.

Where are you based ? I know a headhunter and can refer you .

But need to know what your doing and what your focus area is .

Also as hint there are a lot of Gold digger agencies out there.Be careful

with whom you liaise and call them first before doing anything.You can
easily burn your resume .

It's a little bit like UK 8 years ago.

BTW you can also send me a private message with your job details if you don't want to do this in a public forum.

Kind Regards
CCR

Last edited by crosscountryrider; Oct 19th 2009 at 4:34 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
That's how a recruitment agency, rather than headhunter, would find you. Two very different things.
My impression is that headhunters also do recruiting, i.e. they aren't necessarily asked by the prospective employer to get a specific person. I have sometimes received phone calls from people who ask me if I'm interested in a position. The only way I know that they aren't ordinary recruiters is that 1) they call me at work, and 2) they have to ask me for my mobile phone number or personal email address (which they would know if they'd seen my CV). I have no idea how they find me. Perhaps I was recommended to them by a former colleague or client.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

1. Create some very clever and useful technical software.

2. Create and host a website from which it can be downloaded from free. Make sure to make the website detailed and helpful, and appropriately designed to maximize Google exposure.

3. Wait for large US corporation to discover your work (could take a few years - patience required).

4. Get recruited when said corporation decides you are the messiah that can solve all their technical problems.

Easy!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by caleyjag
1. Create some very clever and useful technical software.

2. Create and host a website from which it can be downloaded from free. Make sure to make the website detailed and helpful, and appropriately designed to maximize Google exposure.

3. Wait for large US corporation to discover your work (could take a few years - patience required).

4. Get recruited when said corporation decides you are the messiah that can solve all their technical problems.

Easy!
Easy it is...

I totally agree with all the comments above. But.... you guys are talking about the 0.01% of the people who have done some really extra ordinary things that give them so much exposure they will be head hunted (of course). Need for such a talent is there in the industry, but no company will expect to hire a lot of them, as I said they are a scarce resource.

I am not from the 0.01% and its absolutely out of my reach, but I would easily be in the 5% of the people who are needed by good companies to strengthen their core business.

I have known bunch of people(Head hunters) back in days, who used to work with several companies to understand their needs for recruiting and help them out with hiring.. (yes I know this closely relates to recruiting..) but there is a difference.

Also, everyone who has gone through this forum on H1 wouldn't have been head hunted in the manner it was described above, some may have had some good references which helped them to obtain a sponsorship of H1.

I am just trying to look at several options that can help me match some prospective employer in US, who would really need me

So if you guys are still awake after the long post.. what I was saying was.. do you know any good head hunters.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I would easily be in the 5% of the people who are needed by good companies to strengthen their core business.
Really? Think about that for a minute. You are competing with every IT professional in the US that can start immediately, every IT professional in the US who can start within a couple of weeks and then every IT professional in the world who would need visa sponsorship like you. If you are in the top 5% of that then you will be known by people. Just to give you an idea of the numbers involved. A while ago I interviewed at a very large insurance company via an inside referral. The guy told me that they keep resumes for 90 days and for the IT jobs they have always have around 15,000 local candidates and about 250,000 national ones that have said they can relocate and start within 3 weeks.

Ask yourself honestly, do you really think you are so good that you would interest a company to pay several thousand dollars and wait a reasonable amount of time for you to start compared to the candidates that can start pretty much immediately and at no cost to the company?
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

You need a head hunter hunter
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Really? Think about that for a minute. You are competing with every IT professional in the US that can start immediately, every IT professional in the US who can start within a couple of weeks and then every IT professional in the world who would need visa sponsorship like you. If you are in the top 5% of that then you will be known by people. Just to give you an idea of the numbers involved. A while ago I interviewed at a very large insurance company via an inside referral. The guy told me that they keep resumes for 90 days and for the IT jobs they have always have around 15,000 local candidates and about 250,000 national ones that have said they can relocate and start within 3 weeks.

Ask yourself honestly, do you really think you are so good that you would interest a company to pay several thousand dollars and wait a reasonable amount of time for you to start compared to the candidates that can start pretty much immediately and at no cost to the company?

Yes I am that good (Not really...)

I have worked before for fortune 50, and know how things do work. You are right about the numbers. But in my experience, its not that you need to be the best of the best to land a job, You should know the right people, be in right place at right time. And there are a lot of different things that hiring managers look for, you may be able to tick all boxes for some one (power of positive thinking.)

Lets look at your situation, you said you were interviewed by a top insurance company, do you think you were the best person for the job in the local area and the national area, may be not (may be too no disrespect intended. just hypothetical situation.). According to me you were lucky to know somebody who was able to refer you, and you would have ticked all the boxes that the company was looking for... So, my point is, you dont need to be best of the best to be hired by anyone anywhere, you need good connections, know your stuff well, willing to work hard. that should do...
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You need a head hunter hunter
...thats where I put BE to work for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.