Any advice when calling USCIS

Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

johannas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice when calling USCIS

I am still waiting for my biometrics letter - after filling family-based change in status (130, 485, 765, and 131) on September 2 and receipt notice September 13. Does anyone have any advice on what I should ask for when I call - that will get me further along in the process? thanks, Johanna
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice when calling USCIS

You are in the system.. you are waiting your turn. Nothing is required of you at this time.

What city/Local Office region do you live in? Some offices are simply busier than others and it may be too soon for you to be expecting your biometrics appointment letter?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 12:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
You are in the system.. you are waiting your turn. Nothing is required of you at this time.

What city/Local Office region do you live in? Some offices are simply busier than others and it may be too soon for you to be expecting your biometrics appointment letter?
Hi meauxna - I live in Washington DC but filed through Chicago since I sent the paperwork registered post. Some of the forms state I am being processed by the national centre - others are not linked to a location. thank you.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:33 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johannas
Hi meauxna - I live in Washington DC but filed through Chicago since I sent the paperwork registered post. Some of the forms state I am being processed by the national centre - others are not linked to a location. thank you.
OK, your District Office/Local Office (two names for the same thing) is the office you need to know about. That is your case 'home' and that is where your I-485 will be adjudicated. Their schedule dictates your schedule. Your future I-751 and eventual naturalization applications will go through that office.. make a relationship.
You can go to uscis.gov and put your zip code in to get the correct office and ASC office you'll use.

Everyone mails their applications to Chicago, that is nothing to do with the ultimate processing. Everything in your case is dependent on the I-485, so that is the main case to chase. I know from your past posts that you are concerned because you want to go back to work; unfortunately, you just live in a busier part of the country, immigrant wise.

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 17th 2010 at 1:36 am.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
OK, your District Office/Local Office (two names for the same thing) is the office you need to know about. That is your case 'home' and that is where your I-485 will be adjudicated. Their schedule dictates your schedule. Your future I-751 and eventual naturalization applications will go through that office.. make a relationship.
You can go to uscis.gov and put your zip code in to get the correct office and ASC office you'll use.

Everyone mails their applications to Chicago, that is nothing to do with the ultimate processing. Everything in your case is dependent on the I-485, so that is the main case to chase. I know from your past posts that you are concerned because you want to go back to work; unfortunately, you just live in a busier part of the country, immigrant wise.
ok, got it - thank you!
My local office is Alexandria, VA. I actually received a letter today stating that my information is in the system for a biometrics appointment (and my application is in suspense until that time) and that I will receive one on a first come first served basis... so I guess I just have to wait.
I also got an H approval today (extension of the past 6 years) and it is very probably that I have to go to England to get it stamped in my passport. Three questions:
1) Re the change of status, what happens if my biometrics appointment is scheduled for while I am in England, can I reschedule it or walk-in after the date with the original appointment letter?
2) Am I able to travel back to the UK and re-enter on the H without it impacting my current GC application
3) Is there anyway to expedite the visa approval and get the passport from the Embassy (in the UK) back faster than the average 5 days?

Thanks all,
Johanna
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johannas
1) Re the change of status, what happens if my biometrics appointment is scheduled for while I am in England, can I reschedule it or walk-in after the date with the original appointment letter?
As long as you have the letter, you can go in afterwards. If you get the letter before you leave, you can go in early.

2) Am I able to travel back to the UK and re-enter on the H without it impacting my current GC application
Yes.

3) Is there anyway to expedite the visa approval and get the passport from the Embassy (in the UK) back faster than the average 5 days?
Not likely, no. I will note that your H visa has already been approved... all you're getting from the Consulate is proof of that approval. Indeed, you may not need to go to Britain (unless you really want to)... you only need to appear at a US Consulate, and Canada has several.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2010, 1:13 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Easy don't!

They haven't got a clue for the most part.