Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Any advice for Teachers want to work and live in the USA

Any advice for Teachers want to work and live in the USA

Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

dickstar1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice for Teachers want to work and live in the USA

Hi all

My names Tom, I am new to the forum and keen to explore the option of working in the USA and living there (with my wife)

We are British citizens, both with first degrees, my wife works in Marketing and I work in Further Education as a senior manager running a Faculty (Media and Creative Arts) of around 2000 students and 180 staff at one of the UK's largest FE and HE colleges.

I already have a B1? (business visa) which was originally for 12 years from 2001 when I went traveling.

Does anyone have an advice on if there are any sites or companies seek British teachers etc to work in the US?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Tom
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice for Teachers want to work and live in the USA

A B1 visa will not let you make a permanent move to the US. Start with reading the wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If you don't fit in any of the categories listed, then it is unlikely you will be moving to the US.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

B Visa'a are 10 years max.

And not relevant anyway.

You need to consider other options, Teaching is not a good way, especially at the moment.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

dickstar1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
B Visa'a are 10 years max.

And not relevant anyway.

You need to consider other options, Teaching is not a good way, especially at the moment.
Thanks chaps, just read the really useful link. Sigh
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dickstar1977
Thanks chaps, just read the really useful link. Sigh
There's a lot of teacher info in this very recent thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634104
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

So hang on a minute here. Are you a teacher or an academic? Because that makes a difference.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
So hang on a minute here. Are you a teacher or an academic? Because that makes a difference.
Running a place sounds like neither.

The missus in marketing, if for anywhere large that might have a US presence could be an option for a transfer but slim pickings these days.