Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Visa website, what do you think?

Another Visa website, what do you think?

Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:16 am
Jerry Liu

Default Re: Another Visa website, what do you think?

mcjimbo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Obviously discussion forums are a huge
    > feature and would be integrated also, in fact i've picked out all the
    > software to use and I think everyone will like the benefits. I would
    > also look into whether I can link these forums up to the Usenet just
    > like Britishexpat's currently do (not sure how this is done though).

The software that BritishExpats uses, vBulletin, has a NNTP gateway
mod. So when you set up the site, be sure and pick a BBS package that
has such a feature. Not all of them do.

Jerry

Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:40 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Obviously discussion forums are a huge feature and would be integrated also, in fact i've picked out all the software to use and I think everyone will like the benefits. I would also look into whether I can link these forums up to the Usenet just like Britishexpat's currently do (not sure how this is done though).
Be careful, discussion forums are the playground of those who want to practice law without a license (Net-Tarios). Believe it or not, many states have laws on the books making this a "crime" (UPL). As you are not a U.S. citizen, you might want to be careful about rendering legal advice yourself, and facilitating others in the commission of that crime.

You are going to be filing forms for AOS and Naturalization some day (perhaps your will want to Naturalize some day) that require you to list all crimes committed for which you have not been arrested, and other questions like assisting others to violate immigration law (and there might be some that tell others, under your name and banner, how to violate U.S. laws that deal with entry into the U.S., for example).

Caution might be warranted (especially if you earn "income" from facilitating others in committing this crime.... like Ex-Pats does).

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Mar 30th 2004 at 1:47 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:07 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Be careful, discussion forums are the playground of those who want to practice law without a license (Net-Tarios). Believe it or not, many states have laws on the books making this a "crime" (UPL). As you are not a U.S. citizen, you might want to be careful about rendering legal advice yourself, and facilitating others in the commission of that crime.

You are going to be filing forms for AOS and Naturalization some day (perhaps your will want to Naturalize some day) that require you to list all crimes committed for which you have not been arrested, and other questions like assisting others to violate immigration law (and there might be some that tell others, under your name and banner, how to violate U.S. laws that deal with entry into the U.S., for example).

Caution might be warranted (especially if you earn "income" from facilitating others in committing this crime.... like Ex-Pats does).
Matt,

Thanks for your concern. Well I have now ditched my idea to setup a "Another Visa Website" and decided to throw my weight behind Steves at www.visajourney.com. He is open and willing to improve Visajourney and is open to new ideas . We've already worked on one project together, the K1 Flowchart - http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=k1flow

I understand the legal ramifications of a non US citizen providing advice, but don't you also think a visa website would benefit from the opinion/influence of someone else whos on the other end of the process? I know myself running a website by yourself is a massive undertaking, so I think having a few extra hands on board will definately help Visajourney.

Last edited by mcjimbo; Mar 31st 2004 at 12:21 am.