Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Visa website, what do you think?

Another Visa website, what do you think?

Old Mar 20th 2004, 5:42 am
Just Joined

kentucky kidd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Visa website, what do you think?

call it "Jimbo's Place"
Old Mar 20th 2004, 8:07 am
Mtravelkay

pablo ronaldo wrote:

> Here is a list of trolls you can delete from your new forum
    >
    > DCMARK-no wife no business here
    > ray6- sad lonely old man in underwear
    > Nevanna- alcoholic troll
    > Rete- super troll acting as moderator--husband left her long ago--now a
    > bitter old crow
    > secret garden- high priestess of the dark world
    > MrTravel- rogue cisco employee and shadow figure in the flesh market
    >

What do you mean by "shadow figure in the flesh market"?
I want to know this before I take the legal steps to get your name and
address form Comcast

Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

IndyGreg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the idea of you and Steve partnering up is an excellent idea James.

I also think it would be a great way to spend some idle time so that you aren't thinking about missing Angie so much!

as for a name, how about www.jimbosvisaloveshack.com ?

J/K of course. Thanks for the initiative! I would possbily be interested in helping to moderate. My web development skills end with knowing a bit about front page and dream weaver!
Old Mar 20th 2004, 9:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean by "shadow figure in the flesh market"?
I want to know this before I take the legal steps to get your name and address form Comcast
As if we don't know who it is....
Old Mar 20th 2004, 10:00 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by IndyGreg
I think the idea of you and Steve partnering up is an excellent idea James.

I also think it would be a great way to spend some idle time so that you aren't thinking about missing Angie so much!

as for a name, how about www.jimbosvisaloveshack.com ?

J/K of course. Thanks for the initiative! I would possbily be interested in helping to moderate. My web development skills end with knowing a bit about front page and dream weaver!
Thats the spirit IndyGreg Glad to see your willing to pitch in and help out. For instance with your skills you could help to moderate/add content on the site. Anyway we've got to come to some agreement on whats the best way forward here. So when i know more i'll post up whats going on.

Yeah doing this is definately a way i can use my spare time productively.
Old Mar 20th 2004, 2:27 pm
L D Jones

mcjimbo wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by ironporer
    > > My only comment would be
    > that it seems that there are many sites began with such intentions, and
    > go well for 6 months- only to begin to die later due to many
    > reasons...lack of intrest after the founder has their visa, lack of
    > participation by members, too many sites already etc.
    > >
    > > Good luck if
    > you do go ahead with it!!
    >
    > Here comes my sales pitch . The
    > great thing about the website structure I propose is that it shouldn't
    > suffer the same problem as these other sites as its a completely dynamic
    > website vs static.

How does this prevent the site from becoming stale? If there are not
regular updates then it seems to me it won't matter whether the site is
dynamic or not

Old Mar 21st 2004, 10:05 pm

Other useful links we used but no longer available:

Alvena's web site
Jonathan's web site
I've got Jonathan's website now which is great. But does anyone have any contact details for Alvena? I would like to get in contact with her about the possibility of resurecting some of her website, or using some of the content.

It would be a pity to see all of her hard work go to waste.

Cheers

James
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcjimbo
I've got Jonathan's website now which is great. But does anyone have any contact details for Alvena? I would like to get in contact with her about the possibility of resurecting some of her website, or using some of the content.

It would be a pity to see all of her hard work go to waste.

Cheers

James
Didn't she already give it to Steve? The info from DocSteen's site isn't cited, but I'm sure at least the comparison chart (and poss example forms) are from that site.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:20 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Matt,
Glad to see your enthusiam......
It's not an issue of enthusiasm; it's an issue of potential liability. I already volunteer a couple of hours per day in this group (sometimes more), and I've been doing so for years now, but I do try to limit my participation to the sharing of general information that is not available to the group from other sources. I generally try not to give case specific advice to posters for the obvious reasons; I'm not their attorney.

Likewise, I would not want to volunteer as an overseer of a site that facilitates the rendering of legal advice by "others" not licensed to do so. I'm not willing to throw my license and career away for that, sorry.

I only used my legal advise section as an example, and it probably was a bad one. The legal section I invisaged wasn't going to be a Q and A type thing, more information, like your website written by attorneys who know there stuff.
OK, I accept that. It's one thing for me to post information on "my" site as I have control over the content of my site and can update or change it as I see fit. Also on my site, there are no other people contributing information so I don't have to worry about editing their information or getting their permission to change or modify their information. Things in the immigration world change from time to time, and what might hold true today might not hold true tomorrow.

It's also great to see that you and Rete think the worse of me when it comes to gathering content for this website. Damn and here I was thinking all I would need to do copy and paste all the information, thanks for bringing copyright issues to my attention!
I did not make any "bad" assumptions about what you are planning to do, but rather just pointing out the concept of "plagiarism" which has more to do with paraphrasing someone else's work, not cutting and pasting their work (which would then be a copyright issue).

I used to put copyright language on my posts, but I took so much heat for that I finally stopped doing so (although my posts are still protected by copyright whether or not I put that language on them… and so are your posts). The reason I first started doing this was due to an interaction I once had with Mike, the one time FAQ guy.

In an old post, I mentioned the name of the attorney I once worked with, and in that post I specifically asked Mike to not republish my posting in his FAQ page as I did not know whether or not that other attorney would want her name republished in the FAQ. Mike replied that he did not plan on republishing my posting in the FAQ, but then he said, "but if I did….". This led me to believe that Mike thought he had every right to republish my work in his FAQ, so I started putting copyright language on my posts to discourage him from doing that.

I don't have control over what "other" people do with their websites. I might not even know it if someone republished my work on another site. And as things change in the immigration world, I of course would not be able to edit or modify any of my old work on these other sites. Having old out of date information posted is a danger to the immigration community (and if it has my name on it, and I can't change it, than it brings additional danger to me).
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 7:28 am
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the content on that site was her "tourist adjustment" page whereby she posted tips (and specific lies to tell) about how to successfully lie to our officers at the POE and fool them as to the persons "immigrant intent" when entering with a nonimmigrant option. Not too long ago, one of the primary functions of "this" very news group (IMHO) was telling those outside the U.S. how to do this, and back then, posters would just say with a wink and a nod, "go read Alvena's tourist adjustment page" (and they would post a link to that page or tell someone how to find it). Her site also contained old, out of date USCIS filing fee information, 7 months after those fees changed (and she only changed that after being hounded about it). Her site also perpetuated the 30/60 day rule myth.

She did however have some good information on that site, and I even authored a few items (general information) that ended up on her site.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 8:11 am

Matthew,

If we created a section, in which you were overseeing, you and only you would have the rights to add, edit, change and delete content. Also just because hyperthetically speaking you or someone else had access to edit one section of the website, doesn't mean they would have access to edit another. There would be security and permissions for each content editor.

Perhaps when we get this going I will give a few people, if interested access to see how it all works. Then people won't be as sceptic.

James

Last edited by mcjimbo; Mar 22nd 2004 at 8:18 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by meauxna
Didn't she already give it to Steve? The info from DocSteen's site isn't cited, but I'm sure at least the comparison chart (and poss example forms) are from that site.
I have been able to ressurect several of the "useful" bits from the site. As Matthew Udall stated, there were also several pages that should not be ressurected at all -- specifically the pages related to telling people how to do a tourist adjustment (and showing them how to beat the system -- or to try to). I will not put that info online.

The comparison chart was based on the one from that site. It was however re-written in some areas to remove info that lead people into thinking that tourist AOS was acceptable when it should not be under most situations (entering the US with the intent to marry and file for AOS). It was also updated with more current info.

The example forms on Visajourney are completely new and were written (only a 2 months ago from scratch) and proofed by several members on this board and Visajourney. The example forms are thus completely up to date (newest forms) while the old ones were, again, quite dated.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

pkmk is on a distinguished road

GREAT IDEA ..ALL THE BEST

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but want to find out from the community first, and the people who's opinions I value whether or not its worth doing.

As we know there are a quite a few U.S. visa help sites. My favourites has to be www.visajourney.com and www.britishexpats.com. However there are some features that I think could be added to both of these sites to make them even better, and i'm an impatient sole so waiting for others or asking for this and that gets old after a little while.

I guess what I would like to do is merge the information / features from a lot of sites including the ones mentioned and above and others into one all singing and dancing website.

The difference about the structure i'm looking at vs whats currently available is that I would invite community members to be directly involved in the design / development / content of the website from the outset and after.

The site would be a portal based design that is completely database driven, and have a content management system that could be accessed by authenticated users. So for instance if there was a legal advise section on this site I could hand over management of content and structure for that section over to say M**t U***l or F*******inla or whoever.

Obviously each person would have to be vetted, but I think in light of all these RFE's a site where the content is controlled by the community and kept up to date makes perfect sense.

There are also lots of features I would like to implement like my K1, K3 flowcharts, member homepages, how to avoid an RFE, Zac's K1 calculator, relevant news feeds from the USCIS and other US visa community websites, dynamic K1/K3 FAQ maintained by the community and all of the features/information that already exists out there.

Obviously discussion forums are a huge feature and would be integrated also, in fact i've picked out all the software to use and I think everyone will like the benefits. I would also look into whether I can link these forums up to the Usenet just like Britishexpat's currently do (not sure how this is done though).

I am not wanting to create this site challenge Britishexpats or Visajourney, more just wanting to offer people an alternative site with a structure that I think would work and be embraced by the community. Its also a great project for me to undertake and test out some of my skills, and would give me the opportunity to help out and give something back to the community thats helped me so much.

Please let me know what you think, and also recommendations for a relevant name? i.e. www.visaworld.com or something like that

Cheers

James
Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:06 am
Jerry Liu

Totally agree about the comments about making it dynamic to make it
effortless to maintain. I know with k1K3 that we went through these
periods when (during the long wait) there was a ton of time to work on
the site, and then when the visa gets issued, you're swamped with
Real-Life(tm)...

I am wondering what you had in mind in terms of a CMS system. Aren't
the timeline databases and the message boards pretty self-maintaining
in terms of having the members contribute the content? Or did you have
something else in mind?

An idea for you for this web site you're thinking of starting is to
think about some statistical or visualization tools to make sense of
the timeline data that's being collected by the various sites. That's
the primary need I see that's not really being addressed right now...

Jerry

mcjimbo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Here comes my sales pitch . The
    > great thing about the website structure I propose is that it shouldn't
    > suffer the same problem as these other sites as its a completely dynamic
    > website vs static.
    >
    > Without being to geeky here, static sites are much
    > harder to maintain and update where as dynamic sites aren't. Lets say
    > even if a particular member or members lose interest who maintain the
    > site it wouldn't be hard to find an enthusiastic replacement.
    >
    > The idea
    > is the whole website content would be editable to authenticated users
    > through there web browser. Content Management or CMS is the future of
    > websites, and thatâ??s what Iâ??m proposing building this site around.
    >
    >
    > There are also plenty of other web developers or people with those
    > types of skills out there going through this process, so i'd encourage
    > them to become contributors to the site to. This is the core idea behind
    > a community portal, everyone pulls together to make the site.

Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:10 am
Jerry Liu

First feedback I've seen on how people like or dislike the search
feature on it. :-) Like the typical engineer after I get the search
stuff working I just deployed it without any documentation. I've
gotten some e-mails asking what the columns meant, but never anyone
asking how the search filtering works. And I thought working the
filters was the tricky part...

Rene and I have wanted to expand the timelines to cover post-visa
activities and most of it is pretty much finished. Just never got
around to announcing it, believe it or not. We'll get some things
cleaned up and pushing out in a week or so...

Jerry

kud <member17000@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by KimJ
    > > I like this idea - my input
    > is that I think it would be nice to have a site that includes timelines
    > for I-130 processing beyond NOA2. All sites I have been able to find for
    > K3's stop at K3 approval.
    >
    > Check http://k1k3.com.
    > He stops at I-130 approval and he is thinking about expanding it. I
    > also like the way the searches work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.