Another new US Citizen

Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Another new US Citizen

Today I became a US Citizen after 28 months of waiting since filing the N-400 in June 2006 (former FBI namecheck victim).
I'll post the full story later but for now, I'm kicking back with a beer or 3 and reflecting on my long journey over 12+ yrs to get to this point
Hang on in there namecheck victims, the wait is almost over.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new US Citizen

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Today I became a US Citizen...
Congratulations!

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:39 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

(former FBI namecheck victim).

Hang on in there namecheck victims, the wait is almost over.
Wozzat? I've never heard of that before.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:57 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

From one Seppo to another - congratulations. Be sure to register to vote. Gonna be tight (timescale-wise).
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:57 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to hearing the story.
Congrats on reaching the end of the journey. Damn Yank!!
I will be one too, sooner or later, so I am just messin' with ya.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, you made it
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Another new US Citizen

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
From one Seppo to another - congratulations. Be sure to register to vote. Gonna be tight (timescale-wise).
Unfortunately here in SC it's a 30 day advance deadline so I'm screwed already LOL. Oh well, I'll be ready for it in another 4yrs time.

*hic*
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gingerert
Wozzat? I've never heard of that before.
Oh there are still some out there who are FBI namecheck victims still. (000's of delays caused by lack of resources). I think all 5 of us today (4 guys, one gal) were all former NCV's.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ok, here's the full story:

The interview was conducted in Charleston, SC, about a 2hr drive from me at 8:20am. The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes.

She went through the form, asking all the questions again, ticking off each answer. I did have an arrest and caution from years ago (1989) which was disclosed and dealt with back during the AOS interview in 2001. I was unsure how this would play out now but it wasn't a problem. The main thing they want to see is how honest you are. I also had disclosed a parking ticket and speeding ticket on the N-400 form. I started to tell her about another traffic ticket from December last year but she wasn't interested in it.

She spent most of the time arranging, re-arranging and flipping back and forward through my file, reading relevant sections. I have to say I didn't like her manner. She was the same woman that did my I-751 interview nearly 3yrs ago. She was rude and offhand back then and nothing had changed! I shall probably write to the Office and complain about her. if anyone has an interview in Charleston and you happen to get her, initials "KW", beware.

She then got me to write a sentence and read one back to her. Here's an example of her rudeness. She said I was supposed to include a copy of the Green Card and photos with the N-400. Well even now re-reading through the instructions, I don't see that anywhere. I had included the photos with the application though. Luckily I did another set just in case although it says on the interview letter it's not required. I told her i didn't have a copy of the GC to which she rolled her eyes and went to take a photocopy of it.

During the interview, another DAO entered the room wanting a copy of a form he didn't have, as he did, she glanced towards him and said in a terse manner "yes?" She's obviously like this to everyone. Doesn't make it right though, especially in a Natz interview which are usually more relaxed and friendly by most people's assessment. I can't say I was particularly relaxed at all thoughout.

I was asked 10 US civics and history questions, I got 8 out of 10 right.
As I recall, the questions asked were:

What do we celebrate on July 4th?
Who is the Vice President of the US today?
How many changes or amendments are there to the Constitution?
What are the 3 branches of our government?
How many voting members are there in the House of Representatives?
Who becomes President if both President & Vice President die?
Whose rights are guaranteed by the Constitution & the Bill of Rights?
In what month do we vote for the President?
What are the 2 major political parties in the US today?
Who was the first president of the United States?

I don't know why I missed 2 of them though. Probably too nervous due to the interviewer's demeanor.

I was relieved when I saw her stamp the "granted" bit on the form and after she approved the application, she asked if I would like to take the Oath ceremony that afternoon at 2pm to which I said YES (said carefully not to piss her off of course) So back to the office at 2pm and after a few minutes waiting, they called all 5 of us (3 guys, 2 girls) into a backroom where we were given our Certificates and asked to check them over and then sign in black ink. I took a cue from Jenney & Mark and made sure it really was black ink first! One of the others did too so he must have read it as well.

One of us, a fellow Brit I think asked about leaving the country before a US passport was issued. She answered don't leave until you have it in hand because you have to turn in the Natz certificate which is returned once the passport is issued. You can get it expedited for a fee. After mentioning about voter registration, she lead us all out back into the waiting room explaining because they had work going on in their usual room, we had to do the Oath there. She cleared out any people in there waiting (hehe), and then the Oath ceremony begun and all 5 of us took the Oath of Allegiance and the Pledge of Allegiance. At the end, she asked if we felt different. I replied "very slighty" ...and that was it. I walked out a US Citizen about 2:30pm.

Unfortunately I won't be able to vote next month as SC requires a 30 day advance registration but I will be able to in future elections. Also my future employment prospects are much helped now as a USC because I'm a pilot and all the non-citizen background checks now required by the TSA (Transportation Security Agency) prior to employment and on-going recurrent training checks are a pain in the you-know-where for all companies.

So that's it. I'm done with the USCIS forever. It doesn't matter how long I'm out of the country now as they can't refuse me entry ever and can't be deported either LOL Wooohoooo!!! I never did find out why I was stuck in the FBI namecheck either

And I got the last laugh. Just before I returned at 2pm, I had to take a slash (as you do!) went into the cubicle, put the copy of the I-652 interview form on the side, turned around, looked back and found it half sitting in the toilet bowl..wet! Luckily I hadn't started yet, if you get what I mean They had no air drier there so I had to blot off the water using paper towels. I kept smiling to myself knowing that the last piece of paper handed over to the USCIS had spent some of it's life down the toilet. A fitting epitaph!

The full timeline:

1st ever US visit in December 1978 (at 13yrs old, family vacation in FL)
M1 visa issued 1989 for flight training in MO
Several VWP entries between 1990 - 1993 (vacations etc)
TDY-A2 visa issued August 1995
J1 visa issued August 1996, started Commercial pilot license training in FL
Returned to UK end of 1998, came back to USA on the TDY-A2 in Feb 1999
Met the former wife during the year and married in Nov 1999
Filed AOS in Feb 2000
AOS Interview Feb 2001
After a few months delay due to renouncing UK Diplomatic status, approved for PR in Sept 2001 (actual date of receiving approval in the mail was 9-11-01) Weird!
Divorced in April 2003, filed I-751 in May 2003. Further delays due to moving address
I-751 Interview Feb 2005, approved.
Applied for N-400 in June 2006, long wait for the FBI namecheck to clear
2nd fingerprints taken last month and N-400 Interview date AND Oath yesterday, October 14th 2008

Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for writing your story. I really enjoy hearing how everyone first came to the US and the varied paths of getting US citizenship

What a grumpy old cow you were interviewed by. Glad you passed, so you didn't have to deal with her again

One question:

You said that she flipped through your application and asked you questions on the stuff you had filled out previously. In the place where it asks you for the trips you took outside of the country during the last 5 years, did you have exact dates for all of that, and did she ask you anything about your travels outwith the US? Just asking because some dates I couldn't quite remember, but did put a good enough guess down for the dates and days/weeks I was gone. Just wondered if this would be a problem. I have my interview coming up in November, so just wanted to be sure about this part.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Thank you so much for writing your story. I really enjoy hearing how everyone first came to the US and the varied paths of getting US citizenship

What a grumpy old cow you were interviewed by. Glad you passed, so you didn't have to deal with her again

One question:

You said that she flipped through your application and asked you questions on the stuff you had filled out previously. In the place where it asks you for the trips you took outside of the country during the last 5 years, did you have exact dates for all of that, and did she ask you anything about your travels outwith the US? Just asking because some dates I couldn't quite remember, but did put a good enough guess down for the dates and days/weeks I was gone. Just wondered if this would be a problem. I have my interview coming up in November, so just wanted to be sure about this part.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Ah yes, she did ask about trips outside the US since the application. I had one to the Philippines a year ago. They do want the exact dates. I had kept the ticket receipt and had to refer to that to give the exact dates.

Good luck with your interview next month. Hope you don't get the grumpy cow-from-hell for yours LOL
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I kept smiling to myself knowing that the last piece of paper handed over to the USCIS had spent some of it's life down the toilet. A fitting epitaph!
That's awesome.. congratulations, Citizen Brit and thank you for the very thorough report!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:34 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Loved reading your report.

The Brits are taking over America one natz cert at a time. Oh wait, no, we have become Americans. Duh!
But if we get enough Brits here we can teach them to speak proper English, right!!

I am a wannabe citizen, waiting to get an interview date. I hope I don't get a grumpy guts like you did!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cool Re: Another new US Citizen

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma

The Brits are taking over America one natz cert at a time. Oh wait, no, we have become Americans. Duh!
But if we get enough Brits here we can teach them to speak proper English, right!!

I am a wannabe citizen, waiting to get an interview date. I hope I don't get a grumpy guts like you did!
Yeah we're reclaiming it one person at a time, a sort of reverse Boston Tea Party
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah yes, she did ask about trips outside the US since the application. I had one to the Philippines a year ago. They do want the exact dates. I had kept the ticket receipt and had to refer to that to give the exact dates.

Good luck with your interview next month. Hope you don't get the grumpy cow-from-hell for yours LOL
I hope not. The people in St. Louis, where I will be going have all been very nice so far ~ let's hope no grumpy old cow-from-hell turns up at work that day.

Thanks for the information, you American you

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma

Here's hoping neither one of us gets a grumpy guts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.