Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Annoyed that the visa helpline mislead me..

Annoyed that the visa helpline mislead me..

Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

TanyaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annoyed that the visa helpline mislead me..

I just wanted to warn people to be very careful about the advice they get through the telephone helpline.

I was specifically told that although both my husband and I live in the UK, I had to file my petition I-130 with the Chicago lockbox. When I explained that the instructions say I can send it to either Chicago or London, she said it was incorrect because all I-130 petitions were forwarded to Chicago.

This was wrong. Now I'm looking at additional application fees, more expensive postage and longer post delays.

I am very frustrated and want to complain, but don't know if that would help.

Typo in thread title :-/ I meant 'misled'.. English is indeed my first language..

Last edited by TanyaB; Apr 26th 2012 at 2:36 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:48 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annoyed that the visa helpline mislead me..

Which "telephone helpline" are you writing about? Whichever, I agree and it's a common caution given by many posters.
Originally Posted by TanyaB
I just wanted to warn people to be very careful about the advice they get through the telephone helpline.
Just a bit curious, but wondering why you were asking a question that you already knew the answer to?
I was specifically told that although both my husband and I live in the UK, I had to file my petition I-130 with the Chicago lockbox. When I explained that the instructions say I can send it to either Chicago or London, she said it was incorrect because all I-130 petitions were forwarded to Chicago.
What are the "additional application fees" you're referring to? The NVC's I-864 processing fee comes to mind, are there others that you have in mind?
Now I'm looking at additional application fees, more expensive postage and longer post delays.
Regards, JEff
Old Apr 26th 2012, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice

I agree Tanya. I have found any advice given on the 090 number very confusing and contradicting so far. The advice I have been given on this forum has been alot more helpful and seems so far to be very correct. Plus its free which is a huge bonus when you are forking so much out on petitions, visa payments and trips to London.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Annoyed that the visa helpline misled me..

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Just a bit curious, but wondering why you were asking a question that you already knew the answer to?
I'm not sure - I tend to do that. However, I think that the forms had (at the time) expired and the new ones had not yet been published. I only asked about 3 questions.. and I thought confirming where to send it was important!

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
What are the "additional application fees" you're referring to? The NVC's I-864 processing fee comes to mind, are there others that you have in mind?
At the moment it's the I-864 fee and postage (certified mail, etc).. but I will relay anything else I come across.

This has come across as more of a vent (which is certainly thereaputic) but I do just want to offer another warning about the helpline.

Last edited by TanyaB; Apr 26th 2012 at 3:18 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annoyed that the visa helpline misled me..

I'm sorry you got misled. Around here, we call that the "misinformation line".

As an added bonus, government agencies are not held responsible if you act upon their bad advice, and things go wrong in your case.

Rene
Old Apr 26th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Oh well - live and learn, I suppose!