Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Announcement about Linda (Bluefrog) and a question

Announcement about Linda (Bluefrog) and a question

Old Apr 9th 2001, 6:40 pm
Nicolas Steenhout

It is with a heavy heart and great sadness that I must inform you that my wife,
Linda, died this Thursday evening. This was very sudden, and unexpected. We do not
know what caused it to happen, but she went into heart failure, and lost blood flow
to the brain for nearly twenty minutes.

Her body goes on, supported by machines. She is in a vegetative state presently,
with little to no chance of recovery. If you have talked with her about this, you
will know that she feels strongly about not having to deal with more shit than she
was already dealing with. The only reason we have kept her body going at this point
is because she felt just as strongly about donating her kidneys to Shawna, her
youngest daughter. This might not be possible at this point, though we are looking
into issues.

Please know that Linda's last four years were filled with love, laughter, happiness
and contentment. Linda was a wonderful woman who's touched the lives of many. She has
changed my life. Going on right now is beyond painful and difficult.

There will be no official memorial service. Please celebrate Linda in your own way,
whether it is cracking open a bottle of champagne, listening to Mozart's Requiem, or
any other meaningful thing.

Please, do not send flowers. I am asking people to make a donation instead, if you
are so inclined. Send donations to Not Dead Yet, 7521 Madison Street, Forest Park, IL
60130. Not Dead Yet is a grassroot organization that opposes the legalization of
physician assisted suicide (what Kevorkian
did). Linda strongly believed in it.

That being said, I have an immigration related question. What impact will my wife's
death have on my immigration? Briefly, we filed in Early Summer of 98, I got my first
work permit that summer. We had our AOS interview on APril 3, 2000. We finally
received a letter asking me to show up with my passport, the reason given was for
Adjustment of Status.

Linda really was the one keeping track of what's what. I don't know much. I know she
was my sponsor, and obviously can't sponsor me anymore. Does that influence anything?

I admit, I have nothing to go back to Canada to. All my life, our friends, job,
everything is here.

Thank you for any information.

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old Apr 9th 2001, 8:29 pm
Alex J

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to you and your family.

I am sorry I don't have an answer to your immigration questions. I do know that there
are forms for widow/widower on the immigration site.

Alex

Old Apr 9th 2001, 8:47 pm
Rete

Dear Nic

One never knows exactly what to say in a situation such as this. You and Linda and
Jim and I followed each other so closely in this entire process. I watched Linda joke
and kid around about the absurdity of the situation and felt her fears when things
didn't go quite right. I remember her recent post when she told us the good news when
you were approved for your AOS.

Linda will be missed Nic by so many people. She had a great zest for living and was
always upbeat and ready to lend a hand.

I hope you can work out the issue of Linda's kidney being used for her daughter
Shawna. What a wonderful way for her to live on.

God Bless Rita and Jim

Old Apr 9th 2001, 8:55 pm
Dale & Brenda

My condolensces go out to you and your family ...I had talked to Linda many times
regarding our own INS dealings ...I considered her a friend although we had never met
...I wish there was more that I could do or say to make things all better ...I hope
that everything turns out well for you ...

Brenda

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
strongly
    >
not
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
instead,
    >
    >
    >
Kevorkian
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Apr 9th 2001, 10:54 pm
Alvena Ferreira

My heart goes out to you. I know this must be such a difficult time for all of you.
If you already have your green card stamp or 2-year conditional green card, you are
eligible to file for removal of conditons immediately after her death. The form that
you use for this is form I-751:
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...orms/i-751.htm

If you have a 10-year green card, you do not have to do anything, and are eligible
for citizenship 5 years after you became a resident, (I think 5 years, might be 3)

May you find some peace in all of this. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. alvena

Nicolas Steenhout wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Apr 10th 2001, 12:37 am
billypilgrim

I am a relative newcomer to this site, so I didn't get the chance to know Linda, but
my heart goes out to you. I had a close friend lose her beloved husband, so I know
enough to say that I can't even imagine how hard it is.

May you find strength in her memory.

Beth

Old Apr 10th 2001, 2:12 am
Michelle

Our hearts go out to you and your families.

Michelle and Gordon

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
strongly
    >
not
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
your
    >
    >
    >
    >
instead,
    >
    >
    >
Kevorkian
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
on
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Apr 10th 2001, 1:49 pm
Betastar

Nicolas -

I am so sorry to hear this news. I didn't know Linda personally, but I happen to love
frogs, and always looked forward to seeing the Bluefrog name come across my screen.

I wish you strength and security in the knowledge that she surely loved you a lot.

Betastar

Old Apr 10th 2001, 3:27 pm
mj

Nic, Nina and I send our concerned regards, all we can do is keep you in our
thoughts. Linda was a darn good newsgroup community member, and I remember well her
recent request to add material to the FAQ about what to take to the AOS interview in
order to avoid an interview experience like you had. It was like "I have written
about this before, were you not paying attention?" Well..... We hope you can find
your way back to happiness. Mike and Nina Jones

Old Apr 13th 2001, 3:49 am
XtrynytiX

I am so very sorry to hear you sad news. I did not have the pleasure of knowing
Linda. I will remember you both in my prayers. Take care!