Am I eligible for Citizenship?

Old Jul 7th 2001, 12:47 am
AppsDBA

I got my green card through marriage to a U.S. Citizen. My green card says "Resident
since 11/20/98". I filed I-751 for removal of conditional status in September 2000. I
am expecting the process to finish in August/September 2001. I know that I can apply
for citizenship after 3 years of Permanent Resident Status and for me that is anytime
after 11/20/2001. There is one complication though.

In 1992 or 93 (I forgot) I pleaded no contest to a "petty theft infraction" charge in
California for shoplifting. I paid a $50 fine and that was that. No jail time served
and no probation, etc. At my Green Card interview, I was asked to explain it and I
did. INS issued me Permanent Residence. I have been in no trouble ever since or
before that.

I read on numerous sites that INS is very strict when it comes to Citizenship with
issues like this. Some sites say that shoplifting isn't aggravated felony and some
say that INS considers it one now and will deport me if I apply for citizenship.
Obviously I don't want that to happen. I will not apply for citizenship if I might be
deported. What do you folks think? Thanks.

Old Jul 7th 2001, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

pjane1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

What in the world were you thinking when you did that shoplifting! At least you did the right thing, IMHO, by being truthful. You need to start taking the INS seriously. It's not a game (though some would disagree). Maybe some-one with experience can guide you here. Good luck!
Old Jul 7th 2001, 4:00 am
Paul

My guess is that it wont be a problem. It is on record and you have been given
permanent residence. If it was a problem you'd have known it by now.

Oh and deportation for petty theft...well petty in most peoples eyes..sheesh. The
thousands of illegals and thos waiting to be sent back for worse crimes than
that...no..go to sleep and forget it, is my advice.

Paul

>
    >
in
    >
    >
Resident
    >
though.
    >
    >
infraction"
    >
No
    >
asked
    >
no
    >
    >
    >
Citizenship
    >
felony
    >
for
    >
    >

Old Jul 9th 2001, 11:45 am
Andy Platt

You are correct on the dates but you can actually file earlier - 3 months prior to
11/20/01. It's up to you whether you wait until the I-751 has been processed.

As to the conviction I wouldn't worry about it. The rules are basically the same for
getting a GC or getting naturalized so having done one of those, I don't see why the
second shouldn't be a snap!

Now, name the original 13 colonies ...

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
in
    >
    >
Resident
    >
though.
    >
    >
infraction"
    >