Alabama immigration law blocked

Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:00 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alabama immigration law blocked

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14711981

Any thoughts on this?
Old Aug 29th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Alabama immigration law blocked

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
My question always is : If these laws, and other like them, came to pass and were 100% effective in getting rid of each & every illegal ( roughly 11 million as of 2008 ) would people be O.K with the price of services and produce skyrocketing because everyone employed in the place of the illegals would be on the minimum wage ?

I'm of the feeling that the Gov need to be seen to be doing something but realize the implications of doing the above both in $$ terms and in terms of alienating the hispanic segment of the population, come voting time, which currently stands at 15 % but will rise to 25% by 2050.

I am sympathetic to the problem as I feel VERY frustrated at the illegal immigrant situation in the U.K .

Last edited by Englishman43; Aug 29th 2011 at 11:17 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43

I am sympathetic to the problem as I feel VERY frustrated at the illegal immigrant situation in the U.K .
In the UK? It's not that much of a problem, most of them are legal, from the EU...and Brits bugger off and cause havoc else where there too :/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_940808.html Anyway, more on this story, the comments are amusing anyway
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:03 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In the UK? It's not that much of a problem, most of them are legal, from the EU...
I believe that the figure for illegal immigrants in the UK is around 1m. In a population of around 60m I think that is a problem.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

UK has major problems.

And I have never understood the who will do the jobs argument, 10% unemployment, in reality nearer double that number.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
UK has major problems.

And I have never understood the who will do the jobs argument, 10% unemployment, in reality nearer double that number.
I'ts not a zero-sum game. Illegal immigrants bring economic benefits as well as costs.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My feeling is the Americans are entitled to enact what laws they like concerning immigration, legal and illegal, but by that I mean the federal government, not each individual state. It makes a mockery of the federal system for states to enact legislation in this area. Imagine the fuss in the UK if Wales or Scotland tried to enact their own immigration laws!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 3:38 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'ts not a zero-sum game. Illegal immigrants bring economic benefits as well as costs.
Right, if you say so. In my county in GA they have undercut the local black community so now a much higher number are on welfare. Most of these shits drive around in crap, uninsured pickup trucks that no 'red neck' would be seen dead in. However, their 'negotiators' have top of the line, current model SUV's. Throw the bums out! I had to fight like hell to get me and my family legal, because of my age and at no small cost.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not a zero sum game.

Might be nice for those needing cheap labour, but if you are at the bottom of the heap, not so nice.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As with the AZ law it is an emotional solution proposed without fully defining the actual problem.

The problem is much more nuanced than "omg illegals".
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:20 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So you condone the exploitation of people who are illegally in the country? Nice!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

So you condone the exploitation of people who are illegally in the country? Nice!
I didn't say I approved of illegal immigration. In fact, having gone through a lot of pain to go from temporary visa to green card to citizenship, I don't. I am merely pointing out that illegal immigrants bring economic benefits as well as costs. It's simply not a zero sum game.

As for the exploitation, you are so right. A friend's boyfriend is illegal, and his employer gets away with appalling behaviour because he knows this guy has no recourse.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's more of a case of accepting that illegal migrant workers already exist as an essential cog in the economic machine of this country. You can't just eliminate that cog overnight and expect things to carry on as normal.

I don't condone them getting below minimum wages, I don't condone them not getting health benefits, I don't condone them having harsh working conditions. I accept that they exist and work hard day to day.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

Probably still wouldn't get folks doing the jobs, if the pay is making less than the cost of childcare, those same folks would still be better off not working, especially when they are probably able to get food stamps, possibly medical help and other benefits that a slight increase in income would wipe out.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Right, if you say so. In my county in GA they have undercut the local black community so now a much higher number are on welfare. Most of these shits drive around in crap, uninsured pickup trucks that no 'red neck' would be seen dead in. However, their 'negotiators' have top of the line, current model SUV's. Throw the bums out! I had to fight like hell to get me and my family legal, because of my age and at no small cost.
People around here complain about illegal immigrants and use them as cheap labour

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.