Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

After 18 years in California I'm really getting homesick for my family

After 18 years in California I'm really getting homesick for my family

Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:22 am
Just Joined

debDenise is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face After 18 years in California I'm really getting homesick for my family

am I crazy to give this life up here in California??

I have my own home and I live here with my 11 year old son (am divorced for 8 years). I have my own business (which isn't really going that great) for the last year, and no longer have medical insurance and am getting denied because of pre-existing conditions. Luckily I have a good stash of savings (stock options from my 9 years job that I quit with corporate America). However, not a day has gone by (over the 18 years) that I have thought about my parents/grandparents and friends in the UK. Now that my son is older and misses his Nana and Grandpa, his Dad isn't much support and never bothers to check in on his son unless it is his weekend (we've also had a few issues with him and CPS)....SO, I've decided I might have better support back in the UK, at least I'll have my parents around who WANT to help out....

Obviously I will start to work when I get back (may move early next year), but when I look at the jobs there, everything is 7.50 or less an hour....I worked here on 70k/year as an Executive Assistant...am I going to find it really hard to get a substantial paying job???

Any tips on moving back would be great - I think I may rent out my house, but ship a lot of my belongings back to the UK - does that sound reasonable??

Appreciate any comments!
Thanks
Deb
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 18 years in California I'm really getting homesick for my family

Originally Posted by debDenise
am I crazy to give this life up here in California??

I have my own home and I live here with my 11 year old son (am divorced for 8 years). I have my own business (which isn't really going that great) for the last year, and no longer have medical insurance and am getting denied because of pre-existing conditions. Luckily I have a good stash of savings (stock options from my 9 years job that I quit with corporate America). However, not a day has gone by (over the 18 years) that I have thought about my parents/grandparents and friends in the UK. Now that my son is older and misses his Nana and Grandpa, his Dad isn't much support and never bothers to check in on his son unless it is his weekend (we've also had a few issues with him and CPS)....SO, I've decided I might have better support back in the UK, at least I'll have my parents around who WANT to help out....

Obviously I will start to work when I get back (may move early next year), but when I look at the jobs there, everything is 7.50 or less an hour....I worked here on 70k/year as an Executive Assistant...am I going to find it really hard to get a substantial paying job???

Any tips on moving back would be great - I think I may rent out my house, but ship a lot of my belongings back to the UK - does that sound reasonable??
Renting out your house might be a good idea provided that you can find a reliable agent to manage it and that the laws in CA aren't tilted too much in favor of tenants. Usually it's better not to leave your belongings behind in a rented house - check the normal situation where you live but you may find that many rentals are generally unfurnished.

Bear in mind that the U.S. dollar to sterling exchange rate is not particularly good for those moving from America to Britain. And U.K. real estate prices are high.

Your son? Has you obtained for him a British-style birth certificate and a British passport from the British Embassy in Washington DC.

And as for your own status, you really should make sure you have your U.S. citizenship before leaving, if you've not already done so. You don't necessarily want to be stuck in Britain 20 years down the line if your American son moves back to the United States and you have grandchildren there etc.

One very important thing to consider is do you have the legal right to remove your son from California without the other parent's permission?

Once you've resolved these issues, should you move back? Only you can decide. You may find you miss a lot of things about California but then you may gain other things. If you're a U.S. citizen then presumably you know you could sponsor your parents for a green card, but they would have problems with healthcare in the United States.

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 29th 2007 at 3:33 am.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:39 am
Just Joined

debDenise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: After 18 years in California I'm really getting homesick for my family

yes thanks - a lot to consider....

I forgot to mention that our last trip back in September of 2006, I did get my son a British passport, NH card etc...so he's all legit. As for removing him, I've still got to ask the ex (fingers crossed).

I just started the paperwork for citizenship and just thought about that actually. Can I submit and leave or should I stay here until it comes through - do you know?

As for my house, I think renting it would be best, at least it's income coming in for me...as long as I can get a good management company.

Thanks
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debDenise
yes thanks - a lot to consider....

I forgot to mention that our last trip back in September of 2006, I did get my son a British passport, NH card etc...so he's all legit. As for removing him, I've still got to ask the ex (fingers crossed).
You should make sure he has a British birth certificate as well. It will make things easier for him in future, eg in renewing his passport.

Contact the British Embassy for that. There is no time limit so it can still be done, even though he's now aged 11.
http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41016&a=25315

I just started the paperwork for citizenship and just thought about that actually. Can I submit and leave or should I stay here until it comes through - do you know?
Stay until it comes through.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:47 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It's difficult to say what you'd get paid - what is your area of expertise? Could you contact any recruitment agencies in the UK from here? My brother is in IT and every so often a agency will advise him of a suitable job.

Depending on your health problems, they could affect employment.

But then you have to weigh up the pull of family and security - that would be a big factor for me as well.