Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advisory opinion, what are they talking about ??

Advisory opinion, what are they talking about ??

Old Nov 24th 2001, 7:14 am
Zik

Hello, i have received my advisory opinion letter, saying that i am subject to the
two years. here's what it said exactly:

"Based on the documentation provided this Agency has determined that you are subject
to this requirement for the reason(s) indicated:
(x) The Field of specialization is included on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for
your country Group 9, L and N."

So group 9 is for training or studies in finance and those issues... while my
training was in engineering which is group 4, and the subgroup that is included in
the list for my country is I... so it's not even a typing mistake, they put me on a
completely wrong group and subgroup. well i decided not to challenge their decision
anyway, i have already got my no objection issued and sent to them, and i was worried
that if i request a clarification on this they might hold my waiver process until
they decide again on my advisory opinion (may be they don't do that). and also
because i thought to myself, that if i tell them no those are not the groups and
subgroups that apply to my skill, all what they would do is may be come back to me
with a new letter and with the group number changed... i had the feeling that this is
somehow a generic letter, or may be it was on their computers or something and all
they did was change the name and those specific information and they forgot to change
the group numbers. anyway i just thought i wanna share this with the newsgroup, and
see if someone has faced a similar case. thanks

Zik