advise on ds-156

Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:09 am
Just Joined

nigandjules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default advise on ds-156

Hi, I wonder if I could get a little help!
I have an interview on thurs at the london embassy, and I overstayed a visa wavier in 1992, by an extra 15 months. I then tried to return two weeks later through chicago, and was put back on the plane!
I now really want to take my 3 kids to Disneyland. I realise how foolish I was.
I am filling out a ds-156- is this the correct, and only form i need?
I no longer have my passport from 1992- i don't know the dates i entered and left, and I don't remember getting a letter when I was refused entry.
I will take mortgage details, kids passport, etc with- what else can i do?
Also as I don't want to book before I get the visa, I only know when we hope to go, and propose to stay. Should i put those details on the form. Thanks so much for any help!!
Jules
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advise on ds-156

Originally Posted by nigandjules
I have an interview on thurs at the london embassy...
An interview for what?

I overstayed a visa wavier in 1992, by an extra 15 months. I then tried to return two weeks later through chicago, and was put back on the plane!
Not good. You'll definitely need a visa which may or may not be issued, since you've got a prior record of ignoring the rules. I'll note that the 15 month overstay means you have likely incurred a 10-year ban from the US, and I don't believe there is any visa that can overcome that. The ban may be applied retroactively in which case, the 10 years is already complete... but they may not apply it retroactively.

I don't know, sorry.

I no longer have my passport from 1992- i don't know the dates i entered and left, and I don't remember getting a letter when I was refused entry.
I'm pretty sure that CBP has those dates, even if you don't. Take your best guess for now... and eventually you'll find out the exact dates.

Also as I don't want to book before I get the visa, I only know when we hope to go, and propose to stay.
Smart move... never book a flight until you have the visa in your passport. Good luck to you.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

thanks- it's a visa for a holiday for 3 weeks at disneyland, and around Orlando.
Thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if you have your old passport from that time - take it along as it may well have the dates on the stamps inside as well as any relevant notation by immigration (ie specific 'official' reason for deportation)
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

thanks- it's a visa for a holiday for 3 weeks at disneyland, and around Orlando.
Thanks for all your help.
I have found my passport, and although the visa wavier is stamped on arrival, there are no exit stamps, or anything about my refused entry. Does that make any difference? I'm going to tell all anyway!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I'll note that the 15 month overstay means you have likely incurred a 10-year ban from the US, and I don't believe there is any visa that can overcome that. The ban may be applied retroactively in which case, the 10 years is already complete... but they may not apply it retroactively.

Hi Ian:

I've read the OP over and over again and I did not see any indication there that she was even in the United States at any time after April 1, 1998. What makes you think so?

I keep harping on this and I'll do it again -- do not jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
I keep harping on this and I'll do it again -- do not jump to conclusions without knowing the facts.
Okay... so what happened on April 1, 1998 that's so important? At least I made an attempt to answer the question as posted without all the cryptic mumbo-jumbo.

Ian
Old Oct 14th 2008, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Okay... so what happened on April 1, 1998 that's so important? At least I made an attempt to answer the question as posted without all the cryptic mumbo-jumbo.

Ian
Hi:

Mea culpa, I made a typo -- I meant April 1, 1987.

OP mentioned a 14 month overstay back in 1992. 1992 is before 1997. Nonetheless, you are the one who mentioned a possible 10 year bar.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Mea culpa, I made a typo -- I meant April 1, 1987.
Do you mean 1987 or 1997?

I'm guessing it's something to do with the 1996 immigration control legislation.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 12:10 am
Just Joined

nannycara is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I wonder if I could get a little help!
I have an interview on thurs at the london embassy, and I overstayed a visa wavier in 1992, by an extra 15 months. I then tried to return two weeks later through chicago, and was put back on the plane!
I now really want to take my 3 kids to Disneyland. I realise how foolish I was.
I will take mortgage details, kids passport, etc with- what else can i do?
Also as I don't want to book before I get the visa, I only know when we hope to go, and propose to stay. Should i put those details on the form. Thanks so much for any help!!
Jules
If you overstayed our visa and no longer have that passport and it was before the visa waiver fingerprints, I wouldn't worry about it. I know LOADS of friend who overstayed their visa waiver before the the finger prints went in and have never been stopped.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:13 am
Just Joined

I hope I am not going get myself barred, by going to the Embassy tomorrow and casting myself on their mercy. They were very aware of me when I tried to return not long after I overstayed. they said they knew I was on the plane, but couldn't stop me until I had tried to re-enter!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

ajb24 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope I am not going get myself barred, by going to the Embassy tomorrow and casting myself on their mercy. They were very aware of me when I tried to return not long after I overstayed. they said they knew I was on the plane, but couldn't stop me until I had tried to re-enter!
Best of luck, let us know how it goes
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:00 am
Just Joined

nannycara is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but it has been years since you last tried. i hate to say this but since 9/11 unless you are of middle-eastern decent or are muslim, they don't care.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:26 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nannycara
yeah but it has been years since you last tried. i hate to say this but since 9/11 unless you are of middle-eastern decent or are muslim, they don't care.
This is a very strange post and one that I think most forum members will identify as being very far indeed from the truth.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
This is a very strange post and one that I think most forum members will identify as being very far indeed from the truth.
Now I am confused and really worried- what do you mean?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.