Advice on where to start.

Old Oct 7th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

jjd100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on where to start.

Hello all,

I am after some advice. After spending a lot of time in the US I know it is the place I would really love to live and work in. I am realistic and know in order to be able to work there it is a long, costly, involved process and that it is very hard to secure a visa. I want to know that what I'm doing in the UK (job/training etc) is moving me in the right direction for being able to apply to move to the states.

I am 24, I have graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in Economics and Politics and work wise I have worked for the civil service for a year, more of a temp role, and now I work for a record label in London and have been for a year. Suffice to say as it's the music industry my wages are unfortunately not the highest. I guess I would like to do a similar job to one I do now but fear it may not be classed as highly skilled enough so was therefore thinking I may have to change career.

I haven't hastily made the decision that I want to live in the states and I am willing to do anything to be able to. If it means switching careers then so be it as long as it moves me in the right direction for being able to successfully apply to work and allows me a visa. To be honest I just don't know where to start.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.
Many thanks,
James
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on where to start.

Originally Posted by jjd100
I want to know that what I'm doing in the UK (job/training etc) is moving me in the right direction for being able to apply to move to the states.

I am 24, I have graduated uni with a 2:1 degree in Economics and Politics and work wise I have worked for the civil service for a year, more of a temp role, and now I work for a record label in London and have been for a year. Suffice to say as it's the music industry my wages are unfortunately not the highest. I guess I would like to do a similar job to one I do now but fear it may not be classed as highly skilled enough so was therefore thinking I may have to change career.
I don't know a whole lot of details about the work-related visas, but I would say at the moment you are not moving in the right direction towards a work visa to the USA. My guess is that you would have to change careers.

Lately it seems like the "easiest" route to a work visa to the USA is to get a job with a company which has offices in the USA, work for them for a minimum of one year in the right category of job description, and then get transferred to work in the USA office.

Others will be along with their comments.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a job with a company that has office in both locations and then express an interest in moving over. It can be done and its not too hard. The 'highly skilled' thing is bollocks. As long as the company are willing to move you to their American office (after you have been working for them for at least a year) then it's not that hard for them to justify. I moved here when I was 25 (I'm now 26) and I dont even have a degree. If they get a decent immigration lawyer they'll know how to word it. I dont see any reason why a record company with offices in both locations couldnt do it if you have an alright job.

Also, maybe you could check out the mountbatten project? It's a year long internship in NY. I know a couple of people that got hired and were able to stay on, not sure on what kind of visa, but at the very least it'll give you a year to experience it and then try and get your foot in the door somewhere.

The question 'what kind of career should i go for' is just too broad. Most of the people I know who moved here work for banks or hedge funds (i work for a hedge fund)..I know a journalist and have met a couple of other journalists, I met a couple of people that work in marketing and a couple that work in publishing.....the one thing they all had in common? they were all transferred with their existing job. Trying to get an employer to sponsor you directly is so unlikely that it isnt really worth wasting time on. I guess you just have to think of the kind of industries where companies are likely to have global locations and try and get a job with one and then just hope that they are willing to move you at some point.

Where in the US do you want to move to? Saying that you want to move to anywhere in the US is kind of unusual. Remember, the grass is always greener. I think its alright over here but personally I reckon I'll head back to London after a few years. They have all the same problems we have in the UK, so think carefully.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:52 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

IT jobs seem to be a good transfer opportunity too (worked for my husband - he works for a us bank). One way into IT is via the help desk. You can often get entry level jobs in there and then try and build your knowledge/find a role outside that department and work your way up. Wouldnt be quick but Ive seen many people start in IT that way (including my husband many years ago!).
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

jjd100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I really appreciate all your replies, thank you