Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on when to apply for a B-2 visa

Advice on when to apply for a B-2 visa

Old May 23rd 2010, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

paul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nice
Default Advice on when to apply for a B-2 visa

Hello all

I haven't been on here for nearly 2 years no need really because I have yet to go to The States but am hoping to do so in June 2011 (hopefully).

I won't bore you all by going over old ground so I will just write a brief outline.

Up until 2002 I have 9 previous convictions all for petty stuff that resulted in Fines and community penalties but then in 2002 I was arrested and charged with theft from an employer. It was the same punishment just a more serious crime but I kept my nose clean until 2007 when I was accused an charged of burglary from the office of my Brother in laws nightclub. There was mitigation al ot of it as over a 12 month period I had been giving him contributions towards a childrens cancer charity that I found out that he had pocketed.

It didn't occur in the dark of night so to speak, the nightclub was actually open at the time but it was after hours and only staff remained including myself who was self employed there and it was a spur of the moment opportunist chance to recoup my £440. It was silly thing to do I know and I am not trying to justify my actions but the magistrates did understand my reasons and also recognise that at the time that I entered the office there was over £20,000 sitting there so If I was an out and out thief I could have taken alot more than what I had given him.

Anyway to cut a long story short I was charged but only ordered to pay back compensation of the same amount as what I took, there was no other penalty.

In 2008 when I was on here whilst considering a city holiday to the US I asked about the ESTA and was told I would not stand a chance of getting one and I would need a visa so not only did I not apply but I dropped the idea of travelling there altogether.

I recall crg telling me that I would have more of a chance after three years had passed which come October this year that timescale would have elapsed so I am looking at June next year for a 10 day holiday to Chicago, DC and NYC.

Now with regards to applying for a visa I am looking for advice on the timings of doing this as I understand that if granted, it will last 6 months and I want to travel during the last week of June and first week of July 2011 which means that I don't want to be receiving a visa until late January so with that in mind when would the be the best time to apply and how much would it cost.

Finally can anybody confirm that having put off my plans for 3 years as I have mentioned before, that my chances of getting a visa would have improved or is it a case of having 12 convictions, despite only 2 being in the last 9 years come next June, mean that my hopes would have remained very minimul.

Thanks for reading this any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:15 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on when to apply for a B-2 visa

A typical B2 is issued for a validity of 10 years, multiple entry. It's up to the POE officer upon entry to the USA how long to allow you in, but a typical stay of 6 months is allowed. Not sure where you got the idea that the B2 visa will only last 6 months. Immigrant Visas only have a validity of 6 months, maybe you were reading about those.

The ConOff also can issue the visa for as long as she wants...some folks get one with only 1 year validity. There is no way to know in advance how yours will work out, it's up to the ConOff.

I don't think anyone will be able to confirm that waiting 3 years will improve your chances of getting the visa. There's no way to know until you try it.

I believe the cost for a non-immigrant visa is $131, plus a courier fee to deliver your passport back to you (if it works the same way as an immigrant visa).

Rene
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:59 am
Banned

bowenaj37 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry Mexauna it may be none responsive but it is also true He has 12 convictions not one not 2, 12. No chance of single petty offence exception theft is CIMT and I think burglary is too. Plus he stole off his own family and you can't get much lower than that and they won't care why he did it. He is really looking at an uphill battle isn't he?
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

paul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nicepaul1963 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bowenaj37
I am sorry Mexauna it may be none responsive but it is also true He has 12 convictions not one not 2, 12. No chance of single petty offence exception theft is CIMT and I think burglary is too. Plus he stole off his own family and you can't get much lower than that and they won't care why he did it. He is really looking at an uphill battle isn't he?
bowenaj37 look if you want to respond to my question fair enough but please don't judge me, you don't know me so don't tell me how much lower a person can get because yes they can stealing off children with cancer is the lowest of the low and he was my brother in law in name only believe me.

Look if I get in I get in but If it comes to it I will go on vacation elsewhere, somewhere that isn't so up it's own back side and takes itself so seriously, most countries on this planet don't judge you like America does, I have made errors and paid the penalty therefore I don't have to answer to anybody over my mistakes in life least of all an American embassy.

Finally can you explain your comment "He is really looking at an uphill battle isn't he".

How do you know? can you prove that?

Last edited by paul1963; May 23rd 2010 at 9:20 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1963
bowenaj37 look if you want to respond to my question fair enough but please don't judge me, you don't know me so don't tell me how much lower a person can get because yes they can stealing off children with cancer is the lowest of the low and he was my brother in law in name only believe me.

Look if I get in I get in but If it comes to it I will go on vacation elsewhere, somewhere that isn't so up it's own back side and takes itself so seriously, most countries on this planet don't judge you like America does, I have made errors and paid the penalty therefore I don't have to answer to anybody over my mistakes in life least of all an American embassy.

Finally can you explain your comment "He is really looking at an uphill battle isn't he".

<sigh> I was really beginning to feel sorry for you until paragraph 2 and 3
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Yes I agree that is why I edited my post because I felt my comments were inappropiate, let's just call it a very annoyed reaction to previous comments said about me.

I have to say though that America does seem to have a very patronising rule book as it is amongst the worst when it comes down to CIMT carried out by a country's own citizens, but oh well.

Anyway I haven't said that I wanted amybody to feel sorry for me I just wanted some advice which I did until the second person to reply suddenly thought that he/she knew me.
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Uphill battle? Lets see Paul by your own admission you have 12 previous convictions. By admissions in previous threads you travelled on the VWP with 9 convictions that sounds like it could be viewed as lying to U.S immigration a lot of people on here would say that's gets you banned for life from the U.S. So yes you are probably facing an uphill battle
Today 10:21 pm
Bowenaj37, I travelled to the States in 2002, Esta was not in operation then and come on how may people have not ben totally honest on a form that get's filled out on the plane.

So you are saying I am possibly looking at a ban for life. Why? How will they know that I went in 2002?

Surely the way they are acting only serves to encourage people to lie on ESTA forms or a plane form and just take a chance, I have been reading elsewhere about all kinds of people who do this, Not something I would do as I would have my girlfriend with me but I I was going alone I would definitely chance it as I have as much chance as being stopped at immigration as not getting stopped haven't I let's be honest here, but 99.9% of Americans would have you think that as soon as you step foot on US soil you are a marked man as they know everything about you, well they don't do they and who gets through customs and who doesn't really is the luck of the draw.

US customs make people think that they know everything about everyone on each and every in bound plane when the facts of the matter are when everybody has made their way off the plane to the gates, they do not know who the criminals and who the innocents are do they?

At the end of the day, the punishment might be a lifetime ban and instant deportation but you have a better chance of getting into the states by keeping your mouth shut than you have going down the honest route? Sad but true im afraid and people are doing it every day.

Last edited by paul1963; May 23rd 2010 at 9:44 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't know it, and he can't prove it. That poster often writes shit and tries to pass it off as fact - as if he fancies himself a god. He's a troll, and has nothing of value to add to your issue. I suggest you ignore everything he writes - and perhaps complain to the moderators for good measure!

Ian
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:50 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Bowenaj37, I travelled to the States in 2002, Esta was not in operation then and come on how may people have not ben totally honest on a form that get's filled out on the plane.

So you are saying I am possibly looking at a ban for life. Why? How will they know that I went in 2002?
Paul, I just came back to say essentially what Ian just did. This person has demonstrated nothing more than a talent for asking provocative questions that take the discussion sideways.

He doesn't know, and he hasn't shown in his past posts that he has any useful knowledge about US immigration rules.

However, this group will also not support a 'how will they know' approach from you; they know because you are going to tell the truth and the whole truth when you make your electronic or visa application(s).
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou both for your replies, I apologise for coming across as letting off a bit of steam I let myself down on that one.

meauxna, I fully understand what you are saying, the truth is always the best policy but if I thought for one minute that telling them "Look what I did in 2002 was wrong but sentimentality got the better of me (I was desperate to return to Chicago as I lived there for 4 months in 1975 when I was 12 and have always wanted to return one day) would be seen as an honest and understanding explaination I wouldn't hesitate.

If I also thought that they would see that I visited Chicago, DC and NYC on a 10 day trip and posed no threat or caused no problems as a positive aspect of my application then again I would not hesitate, but I fear that telling them would do more harm than good when instead it should be the other way around as I have proved myself as a safe vistor albeit illegally, I hope that makes sense.

So again thankyou, reading that persons threads really put me on a downer, the thought of never being allowed into the US again is a life sentence in itself.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He doesn't know it, and he can't prove it. That poster often writes shit and tries to pass it off as fact - as if he fancies himself a god. He's a troll, and has nothing of value to add to your issue. I suggest you ignore everything he writes - and perhaps complain to the moderators for good measure!

Ian
So in your opnion Ian would he be able to obtain the visa with 12 convictions since maybe 1999? I conceed you know far more about this than I do. He has a virtually zero percent change doesn't he?

Last edited by bowenaj37; May 23rd 2010 at 10:12 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

So in your opnion Ian would he be able to obtain the visa with 12 convictions since maybe 1999? I conceed you know far more about this than I do
Well he obviously does but that might be that because he has read my original thread correctly bowenaj37.

I actually said "Up until 2002 I have 9 previous convictions all for petty stuff that resulted in Fines and community penalties but then in 2002 I was arrested and charged with theft from an employer. It was the same punishment just a more serious crime but I kept my nose clean until 2007 when I was accused an charged of burglary"

By my reckoning that makes it 2 offences since 1999 which will be 2 offences in 12 years come 2011 when I want to travel.

Now I am not saying look what a good boy I have been for the past 12 years in comparison with the previous 3-4 years to that when I was a first class idiot however I do expect people like yourself to read what I have said correctly before attempting to take away all hope of a person in a post that you just cannot back up with facts.

Last edited by paul1963; May 23rd 2010 at 10:21 am.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

So in your opnion Ian would he be able to obtain the visa with 12 convictions since maybe 1999? I conceed you know far more about this than I do. He has a virtually zero percent change doesn't he?
Err! Bowanaj37 im starting to see straight through you my friend as above you start a sentence by saying to Ian " I conceed you know far more about this than I do" Then straight away you are telling Ian that I have a virtually zero percent chance so which one is it?
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:35 am
Banned

Well he obviously does but that might be that because he has read my original thread correctly bowenaj37.

I actually said "Up until 2002 I have 9 previous convictions all for petty stuff that resulted in Fines and community penalties but then in 2002 I was arrested and charged with theft from an employer. It was the same punishment just a more serious crime but I kept my nose clean until 2007 when I was accused an charged of burglary"

By my reckoning that makes it 2 offences since 1999 which will be 2 offences in 12 years come 2011 when I want to travel.

Now I am not saying look what a good boy I have been for the past 12 years in comparison with the previous 3-4 years to that when I was a first class idiot however I do expect people like yourself to read what I have said correctly before attempting to take away all hope of a person in a post that you just cannot back up with facts.
Apply for the visa Paul see what happens either you get it or you don't. If you don't apply you will never know
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:48 am
Banned

Err! Bowanaj37 im starting to see straight through you my friend as above you start a sentence by saying to Ian " I conceed you know far more about this than I do" Then straight away you are telling Ian that I have a virtually zero percent chance so which one is it?
Question B on the ESTA it talks about having been arrested/convicted of cimt You have Burglary and Theft which may or may not be CIMT. or convictions for 2 or more offences for which the total aggregate sentence was 5 years or more. You have theft and burglary am pretty sure the aggregate sentences for those offences is more than 5 years in prision The maximum sentence for Burglary is more than 5 years I believe it is 7 years isn't. Let us not forget Paul that uk rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 does not apply to U.S immigration law. Which means NONE of your convictions are considered spent for U.S immigration purposes. So you are dealing with 12 convictions and issues with the 2 offences for which max jail time was more than 5 years. Based upon those FACTS I would say the odds are stacking up against you their buddy.

Last edited by bowenaj37; May 23rd 2010 at 10:54 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.