Advice on reinstate F1, please

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

boucuop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on reinstate F1, please

Hello,

I am an international student. Due to unexpected financial deficiency, I have withdrawn from the university 2 weeks ago. I thought I had 60 days grace period. But I was wrong.

At this point, what shall I do? Reintate F1 immediately? I have been reading regulations on reintatement since I learned I am out of status. Does unexpected financial deficiency count for out-of-control circumstance? Besides, I am transferring to another program in the same university next semester. Will the fact make the reintatement chance slight?

What is the consequence of reintatement denial? Can I still apply for F1 visa or H4 if I have to come back to my home country?

Thank you for your time and expertise.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on reinstate F1, please

Originally Posted by boucuop
At this point, what shall I do?
You should leave the US.

Does unexpected financial deficiency count for out-of-control circumstance?
No.

I am transferring to another program in the same university next semester.
Come back next semester... if you can afford it.

Can I still apply for F1 visa or H4 if I have to come back to my home country?
You can apply for an F-1 visa, yes. You can't get an H-4 visa unless you're married to someone who has an H-1B visa.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am an international student. Due to unexpected financial deficiency, I have withdrawn from the university 2 weeks ago. I thought I had 60 days grace period. But I was wrong.

At this point, what shall I do? Reintate F1 immediately? I have been reading regulations on reintatement since I learned I am out of status. Does unexpected financial deficiency count for out-of-control circumstance? Besides, I am transferring to another program in the same university next semester. Will the fact make the reintatement chance slight?

What is the consequence of reintatement denial? Can I still apply for F1 visa or H4 if I have to come back to my home country?

Thank you for your time and expertise.
Hi:

I'd consult with Adam Green in Los Angeles. He is THE man on students.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:30 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The DSO "designated school official" is also a good resource.

Here is some other information:

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/

Keep in mind that students who graduate get 60 days, students granted a withdrawal get 15, students terminated get ZERO days to depart.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply.
Will the out-of-status affect my F-1 visa application?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can apply for an F-1 visa, yes.
Ian
My husband is doing his opt, and applied for H1B this April 1.

You can't get an H-4 visa unless you're married to someone who has an H-1B visa.Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by crg14624
The DSO "designated school official" is also a good resource.

Here is some other information:

http://www.ice.gov/sevis/

Keep in mind that students who graduate get 60 days, students granted a withdrawal get 15, students terminated get ZERO days to depart.
Hi:

Unless the individual DSO is a particularly good one, I would not give that as general advice.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg14624
Thank you for the information. I learned that a few days ago.
I am gonna see an advisor in our international student office tomorrow.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Will the out-of-status affect my F-1 visa application?
It could... but I don't think it will.

My husband is doing his opt, and applied for H1B this April 1.
You can go to school with an H4 visa, but you can *not* work... ever. You can't volunteer if you get *any* sort of compensation (money, meals, discounts, lodgings, etc), nor can you work "for free" in a position where someone else would be paid. The H-4 is very restrictive.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:04 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Unless the individual DSO is a particularly good one, I would not give that as general advice.
That's always a caveat. I just wanted to give other options. I thought the OP may not be able to afford the attorney especially considering that he is not in school because of a bad financial situation.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

It could... but I don't think it will.

You can go to school with an H4 visa, but you can *not* work... ever. You can't volunteer if you get *any* sort of compensation (money, meals, discounts, lodgings, etc), nor can you work "for free" in a position where someone else would be paid. The H-4 is very restrictive.

Ian
Thank you, Ian.
Do you think I can apply for H4 visa if my reinstatement gets denied without going back to my country?
- I still want to petition for F1 reinstatement, as the university put charges of $14,000 on March 3rd and charged me late payment immediately due to my laid-off. I had tuition waiver as a staff of the university. I have all the paperwork. We cannot get that amount of money in a short term.
- We have a 2-year-old son. If I go back to my country, I have to take him with me. There would be some complicated paperwork.
Thank you, again.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:12 pm
Account Closed

Hi:

I'm not so sure about that. I recently discovered that F-2's cannot attend school beyond high school. The government justification for this radical change was that national security required it.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

I'm not so sure about that. I recently discovered that F-2's cannot attend school beyond high school. The government justification for this radical change was that national security required it.
Thank you, but most of international students know the fact couple of years ago.

F2 cannot take classes since the event of 911, while H4 is still able to take classes.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

Do you think I can apply for H4 visa if my reinstatement gets denied without going back to my country?
If you have a copy of your marriage certificate and your husband's H-1B visa, then you can change status... but you can't get an actual visa - you'd have to leave the US for that. You can't get a visa while inside the US.

If I go back to my country, I have to take him with me. There would be some complicated paperwork.
Yes... paperwork is always complicated. However, you don't necessarily have to go back to your country... you only have to be outside the US.

Ian
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

If you have a copy of your marriage certificate and your husband's H-1B visa, then you can change status... but you can't get an actual visa - you'd have to leave the US for that. You can't get a visa while inside the US.

Yes... paperwork is always complicated. However, you don't necessarily have to go back to your country... you only have to be outside the US.

Ian
Thank you very much, Ian. You have offered so many useful information on my case. I do appreciate that.

I have talked with the international student advisor. She said I have a good chance to reinstate F1. There are many cases of reinstatement going on in the university each semester, and all of them have got approved so far. It gives me a beam of light in my dark days. So is your expertise. Thank you, again.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

It gives me a beam of light in my dark days.
There is still one problem... money. You'll need to sort out the finances before moving forward. Good luck to you.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.