British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Advice needed URGENT (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/advice-needed-urgent-865508/)

timdog1981 Sep 21st 2015 1:13 pm

Advice needed URGENT

Hi im in a right pickle at the moment weather it be my fault or misunderstanding instructions from the us embassy witch I struggle with due to my dyslexia! Any way at the begging of April I went for a visa interview due to me getting rejected by my esta application. In September 2008 I was involved in a fight I really regret getting involved with where I ended up getting convicted of abh which this has proven to be something I regret for the rest of my life. I was under the impression of the women who took my interview that October would be ok to book due to it being 5 months when my visa waver interview was. So I booked it!! I have called this morning to see if there is an update and to be told there is a delay up to 6months instead of 5:confused::confused::confused::confused: This is confusing as I am flying out in just over 3 weeks and my application is still pending. WHAT CAN I DO my kids are looking forward to Disney and doesn't look like I can get a refund.

BerkshireBugsy Sep 21st 2015 1:48 pm

Re: Advice needed URGENT

I am certainly no expert on this but would like to welcome you to the forum even if it is under difficult circumstances for you and your family.

Have you booked a package holiday and is your partner (if there is one going with you) aware of the situation?

Sadly I think you are right about not being able to get a refund. My suspicion is that the holiday and/or insurance terms and conditions will not cover you for not having valid travel docs.

I imagine this is understandably a very stressful time for you and hindsight is a wonderful thing...be prepared for the answers you may get. I genuinely hope you get the matter resolved.

Sadly I don't think there is anything you can do - you are now in the lap of the visa Gods.

Good luck

Pulaski Sep 21st 2015 2:31 pm

There is nothing you can do to expedite your visa, nothing. It will come when it comes, and to be honest there is absolutely no guarantee that you will even be granted a visa, rejection is certainly a possibility, so you were extremely rash in booking travel to the US before you had your visa "in hand", literally.

I suspect that your family will be taking the trip without you. Sorry. :(

Springy6 Sep 21st 2015 2:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your visa delays. Someone posted in another group I'm a member of that they are still waiting for a visa following an interview in January. Their travel agent has allowed them to move the date (with some costs attached). Is this something yours would let you do? A friend of mine went without his SIL this summer as his visa wasn't processed in time.

Not what you will want to hear, but you might need to start looking at other options.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 21st 2015 2:54 pm

Could somebody else take your spot?

materialcontroller Sep 21st 2015 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by timdog1981 (Post 11754145)
I was under the impression of the women who took my interview that October would be ok to book due to it being 5 months when my visa waver interview was. So I booked it!!

Well that was a bit of a silly thing to do.

This is confusing as I am flying out in just over 3 weeks and my application is still pending.
You won't be flying out in just over 3 weeks. Not to the USA anyway.

WHAT CAN I DO my kids are looking forward to Disney and doesn't look like I can get a refund.
Consider it a hard lesson learned. Maybe take the kids to Disneyland Paris instead.

ian-mstm Sep 21st 2015 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by timdog1981 (Post 11754145)
I was under the impression of the women who took my interview that October would be ok to book due to it being 5 months when my visa waver interview was.

I've very sorry, but she lied to you... probably deliberately so you would have some hope!

I have called this morning to see if there is an update and to be told there is a delay up to 6months instead of 5.
Actually, it's taking between 7-8 months currently.

I am flying out in just over 3 weeks...
No, you're not... and I'm very sorry that you and your family are now in this position - but you absolutely should not have booked any holiday before you had the visa in your passport.

WHAT CAN I DO...
I'm very sorry, but there is nothing you can do - except try to change your holiday.

Ian

NatashaB Sep 21st 2015 7:54 pm

As others have said - it doesn't sound like you'll be going anywhere. I would investigate the costs to change the name on the booking so that your partner can take someone else with them.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 21st 2015 9:03 pm

It was taking about 5 months.