Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice
Default Re: advice needed on moving to US with criminal record..

Originally Posted by civilservant
There isn't. A decision on a visa application (including the need for a waiver) can only be made when an application is made. Indeed any advice they give you can be 1) wrong or 2) misleading and legal precedent is that they hold no responsibility for it.

That said, you could always retain your own US immigration attorney for a 1 time consultation if it settles your nerves.
yeah iv contacted a couple of attorneys, but they wont speak without the $$$ best price I got was $200 for the consultation, guess il pay it after xmas and see what they say,
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
yeah iv contacted a couple of attorneys, but they wont speak without the $$$ best price I got was $200 for the consultation, guess il pay it after xmas and see what they say,
$200 is a tiny drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration, so money worth spending I'd say.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
$200 is a tiny drop in the ocean when it comes to the cost of emigration, so money worth spending I'd say.
Beat me to it! Seriously, OP -- if you are put off by this small expenditure (in the grand scheme of things), then the bottomless pit of expenses that is immigration is not for you.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 5:50 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I'd like to add if you do go through with any sort of application. Admit your previous mistakes, be accountable for them, do not blame anyone else. You've mentioned a couple of times on this thread that it was "self defense" and your "conviction is strong one due to the so called innocent other side being left with 2 broken arms... because he fell on to them.. it doesn't show that he followed me into a toilet in a bar to start a fight because I accidentally bumped shoulders with him". This all sounds like you have no remorse, and that you haven't learnt from your experience. I'm pretty confident that any Consular Officer would reject your application based on your attitude alone if you spoke that way in an interview. 14 months in Prison for Self Defense? Come on dude, there's more to that story surely.

I'm only saying this to help you, not to cause offense. I also spent time in Prison as recently as 2015, traveled on an ESTA afterwards, and at one point blamed everyone else but myself. But, I only had myself to blame, and I 100% deserved time in Prison. I genuinely showed remorse during my Embassy interview, and I believe the Officer who interviewed me had faith in me, when he could have very easily denied my application.

Stay positive, keep exploring different options. It's not impossible, but stay humble, don't alienate people on here who are honestly just trying to give you the best possible advice. Own your convictions! Don't blame anyone but yourself, then you might get somewhere.

Last edited by Jamackabi; Nov 26th 2018 at 5:52 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We know US Immigration read our forums.
You know that and I know that, but the OP doesn't from the amount of identifiable information he has posted.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jamackabi
One thing I'd like to add if you do go through with any sort of application. Admit your previous mistakes, be accountable for them, do not blame anyone else. You've mentioned a couple of times on this thread that it was "self defense" and your "conviction is strong one due to the so called innocent other side being left with 2 broken arms... because he fell on to them.. it doesn't show that he followed me into a toilet in a bar to start a fight because I accidentally bumped shoulders with him". This all sounds like you have no remorse, and that you haven't learnt from your experience. I'm pretty confident that any Consular Officer would reject your application based on your attitude alone if you spoke that way in an interview. 14 months in Prison for Self Defense? Come on dude, there's more to that story surely.

I'm only saying this to help you, not to cause offense. I also spent time in Prison as recently as 2015, traveled on an ESTA afterwards, and at one point blamed everyone else but myself. But, I only had myself to blame, and I 100% deserved time in Prison. I genuinely showed remorse during my Embassy interview, and I believe the Officer who interviewed me had faith in me, when he could have very easily denied my application.

Stay positive, keep exploring different options. It's not impossible, but stay humble, don't alienate people on here who are honestly just trying to give you the best possible advice. Own your convictions! Don't blame anyone but yourself, then you might get somewhere.
don't get me wrong mate, I totally admit my wrong doings, I hold my hands up 100%, I was sent to prison because I lost control, all on cctv, as I said he was the instigator, I just finished the matter but in an over the top way, I pleaded guilty,
at the time I was 26 or 27, I was not the guy I am now, trust when I say I am sorry for my actions, I put my family through a lot of turmoil, and on my release I have turned my life around no end, running my own company now for over 10 years, got myself qualifications from uni, turned my back on binge drinking, and have walked away from many a sketchy situation, the old me would never walk away from such situations..

As said in an earlier post, I am a better person for my stint in prison, sounds cliché? trust me it isn't.

Im not trying alienate anyone, I truly aint, iv learnt more on here in a few days than weeks of googling, something im truly thankful for.

Ifg possible can you shed some light on your experience getting your visa with a record please?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
yes, im definitely gonna get advice from them
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Beat me to it! Seriously, OP -- if you are put off by this small expenditure (in the grand scheme of things), then the bottomless pit of expenses that is immigration is not for you.
im not put off at all, like I said in a previous post I would be willing to pay the employer for any costs of getting me over, however, I would not offer this now due to it being illegal, yesterday I had a few wines with my wife and it seemed a good idea... today not so good an idea lol, but I think you may get that im willing to pay costs to get over to the us, 200 bucks is just a starter, I get that.... even though my chances are very slim at best I will try my best until the door is closed, after xmas I enrol to finish off my studies and get my degree in construction management, another positive box ticked, I AM TRULY MOTIVATED trust me!!

thanks for all your advice...
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
You know that and I know that, but the OP doesn't from the amount of identifiable information he has posted.
im just trying to be honest m8,
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
There isn't. A decision on a visa application (including the need for a waiver) can only be made when an application is made. Indeed any advice they give you can be 1) wrong or 2) misleading and legal precedent is that they hold no responsibility for it.

That said, you could always retain your own US immigration attorney for a 1 time consultation if it settles your nerves.
do you think me reapplying for a waiver but this time ticking yes to the moral turpitude question, then on my denied entry, visit the embassy then try to explain my situation?
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

im just trying to be honest m8,
Credit due that you are. But you said something that makes you and this thread very memorable, and then said you know it's illegal but you will offer to cover your prospective employers costs anyway. You probably have a tough enough chance of a visa as it is without giving them even more doubt.
Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

only with a friend but he lives in Canada, and they have obviously more relaxed laws, he did say he knew some one who the company relocated from Canada to California and they paid not only for his visa but paid his living costs for 1 year until he settled!!! obviously a great company

I know that it's your biggest wish to move to the US - but have you considered going about it in a round about way? You mentioned that the company is huge in Canada and that someone managed to get a transfer .. so is there any way you could get in with them in Canada?? Work for them here for a few years, get your Permanent Residence and then Canadian Citizenship and then see if you can get a transfer to the US!

Old Nov 26th 2018, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I know that it's your biggest wish to move to the US - but have you considered going about it in a round about way? You mentioned that the company is huge in Canada and that someone managed to get a transfer .. so is there any way you could get in with them in Canada?? Work for them here for a few years, get your Permanent Residence and then Canadian Citizenship and then see if you can get a transfer to the US!

thanks for the advice, but its not really an option, I couldn't really move my kids around that much, it just wouldn't be right, if I was single with no kids etc I would definitely try that option...
Old Nov 26th 2018, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Credit due that you are. But you said something that makes you and this thread very memorable, and then said you know it's illegal but you will offer to cover your prospective employers costs anyway. You probably have a tough enough chance of a visa as it is without giving them even more doubt.
its not illegal to offer, its illegal for him or her to accept, however this post was in frustration yesterday as I could not see any light at the end of the tunnel, I retract the comment and have ask the mods to delete, something they cant do, I think it was a mix of frustration and red wine lol,

You ever wanted something so much and you start to slowly learn its beginning to look impossible to achieve? its not nice trust me
Old Nov 26th 2018, 7:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

do you think me reapplying for a waiver but this time ticking yes to the moral turpitude question, then on my denied entry, visit the embassy then try to explain my situation?
Different kind of waiver. You are talking about the Visa Waiver Program for visiting the USA. The post you quoted was talking about a waiver needed for the H1B due to your criminal record.

Are you in fact planning to visit the USA? If so, answer the ESTA questions honestly. If ESTA gets denied, you'll have to apply for a B-2 visa to visit the USA.

I would say right now you have enough on your plate. Just wait to see what happens with these job offers.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 26th 2018 at 7:19 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.