Advice needed

Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hey guys,

I have been looking through the posts and it really gets confusing with all these different sorts of visas and restrictions so was wondering if someone could help.

My girlfriend has applied for a teaching job in Chicago and we are looking to find out what would I have to do to join her there if successful? Would I be able to go on her visa as it stands or would we have to be married. Or would I not be able to go at all?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:31 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed

As I've seen written many times, there is no "shack up with girlfriend/boyfriend" visa. Which visa type has she got/hoping to get?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

I have no idea what type of visa would be offered should an offer be presented. I know it's a permanent job in an international school.

I'm just looking for basically what we would have to do to allow me to go with her?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:52 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

You'd have to be married to be eligible to go with her and that's only if the visa she would get (which will have to be applied for, she won't just be offered one) allows derivatives. There are some very knowledgeable people on here that will give you more detailed advice but don't get your hopes up too much.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddym
I have no idea what type of visa would be offered should an offer be presented. I know it's a permanent job in an international school.

I'm just looking for basically what we would have to do to allow me to go with her?
It would probably be a H-1B which can only be applied for on April 1 due to limited numbers available. So she'd be looking at a 2016 application to start Oct 2016.
You'd have to get married and you wouldn't be able to work
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
It would probably be a H-1B which can only be applied for on April 1 due to limited numbers available. So she'd be looking at a 2016 application to start Oct 2016.
You'd have to get married and you wouldn't be able to work
It will likely be an uncapped educational H-1B, so not subject to the delay in starting. Though that doesn't alter the fact that an accompanying spouse on an H-4 still can't work.

To the OP, I recommend that you take a look as this thread because you appear to be asking very similar questions.
Originally Posted by English88
You'd have to be married to be eligible to go with her ......
That's not actually true, as there is always the B2 "accompanying domestic partner" visa, but that should be about the last possible resort, and in any case you can't work on a B2 ADP visa either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2015 at 6:16 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks for the replies so far. So say it's this uncapped educational visa as it is for a start this August. If we where married would I be able to go with her?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but not able to work.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

For how long?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:15 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

I'm sure I read something about some H-4 visa holders being allowed to apply for EAD later in the year?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

For how long?
Work? .... For as long as you're in the US on an H-4. ..... Unless you can get your own visa (check the two Pulaski wikis in the US section of the Wikis tab above).

Hypothetically if your spouse was sponsored for a green card by her employer, you would "tag along" and get your own green card, and then you could work.
Originally Posted by English88
I'm sure I read something about some H-4 visa holders being allowed to apply for EAD later in the year?
From what I read, it's only a small subset of H-4's that are affected by the change.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2015 at 6:22 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:23 pm

So what would I have to do to be able to work?
Get your own visa ...... I edited/expanded my post above.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you, i know there's a lot of ifs and buts. Basically need a quick marriage, take a leap of faith and hope I get sponsored for a visa when I get there� ����
Old Mar 27th 2015, 6:47 pm

Thank you, i know there's a lot of ifs and buts. Basically need a quick marriage, take a leap of faith and hope I get sponsored for a visa when I get there. .....
Kind of, but what qualifications do you have? US immigration based on employment is very heavily skewed towards people with a degree.

Even if you have qualifications that make you theoretically eligible, what skills do you have that make you attractive to a US employer? Applying for a visa for you (you are prohibited from paying for it yourself), is going to cost an employer $5k+ in visa and lawyer's fees and take several months when there are US citizens who can start work within two weeks and have no associated fees.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 27th 2015 at 6:50 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

I don't have a degree unfortunately. My qualifications are in railway engineering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.