advice on immigration to usa

Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

teamt will become famous soon enough
Default advice on immigration to usa

hiya

me and my family are wanting to immigrate to the usa, my partners mum and dad have lived in usa for 10yrs, his dad is a citizen and has been for 2yrs. we are sending our immigration papers in and according to a usa embassy site i beleive it could take us around 7yrs, i am just wanting to now if anyone knows of any quicker way or another site incase the one i am looking at is rubbish

thank you

leanne
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice on immigration to usa

Check out this link: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and ask yourselves what categories you fit into.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:51 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamt
hiya

me and my family are wanting to immigrate to the usa, my partners mum and dad have lived in usa for 10yrs, his dad is a citizen and has been for 2yrs. we are sending our immigration papers in and according to a usa embassy site i beleive it could take us around 7yrs, i am just wanting to now if anyone knows of any quicker way or another site incase the one i am looking at is rubbish

thank you

leanne
You can learn about the different categories and their current backlog here on the Visa Bulletin.
Note that you will have to be married to benefit from a petition filed by 'his' father. Your partner's marital status will determine which visa category he fits into, and the wait time. I mention it because 'partner' typically has an unmarried connotation in the US.

You should also remember that the Visa Bulletin only gives you a picture of what is happening today. It's impossible to project forward what *your* wait will be. -- you have no idea how many people are in line ahead of you or how many of them will actually use a visa number when their Priority Date is current.

If your partner's mother is also a US citizen, she may be able to petition for him in addition to his father's petition.

You're always able to look for other methods in to the US; this article is a good overview: Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA
Old Jul 30th 2008, 9:59 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teamt
hiya

thank you

leanne
If you look at the current bulletin if married you will be:

Third preference: Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens

so as of today it shows a date of 08 JUN 00
so just over 8 years ...but the nub is is may stay
that date for a long time or jump forward ...you can't tell..

There is no short cut...
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
If you look at the current bulletin if married you will be:

Third preference: Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens

so as of today it shows a date of 08 JUN 00
so just over 8 years ...but the nub is is may stay
that date for a long time or jump forward ...you can't tell..

There is no short cut...
Hi:

Allow me an analogy which I often give for the visa bulletin -- instead of visas, imagine a popular movie. You know how many seats are in the theater. You know the screening schedule. You know the time you got in line. You are given the time "cut-off" for people who are being admitted now. What you do NOT know is the number of people in front of you. Furthermore, the number of people in front of you can change.

Can you truly answer the question of how long will it be before YOU get to see the movie?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Allow me an analogy which I often give for the visa bulletin -- instead of visas, imagine a popular movie. You know how many seats are in the theater. You know the screening schedule. You know the time you got in line. You are given the time "cut-off" for people who are being admitted now. What you do NOT know is the number of people in front of you. Furthermore, the number of people in front of you can change.

Can you truly answer the question of how long will it be before YOU get to see the movie?
And you can see by the archives ..the date has moved forward one month ..since Jan 08

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1770.html
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Dazzy62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi teamt,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm new here myself, so just enjoy.

We went through the F3 category (sponsored by my mother - US citizen), and she applied for us in Mar 2000. We are due to FINALLY emigrate this September, so it has taken just over 8yrs.

BUT, don't give up!! If it is your dream, stick with it!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Partner does not usually mean married in the UK either btw.

Now of course I call it Pardner, where the Bison roam.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a wash bison?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:18 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanR
Is that a wash bison?
What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?

You can't wash your hands in a Buffalo.

boom-boom! I crack me up.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:29 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?
one's an animal, the other is a shithole in upstate New york.