Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on best way to move to the USA

Advice on best way to move to the USA

Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Barcholder will become famous soon enough
Default Advice on best way to move to the USA

Hi everybody

I'm new on this site, though I have regularly followed it for months now. I would like some advice as to how best to move my family to the Usa based on my situation.

I am a chartered accountant with many years experience in Investment Banking in London. I currently work as a contractor through my personal service company, and also run a couple of online businesses. One is a sports betting hedge fund, the other is an online recruitment business which has only recently launched.

In addition, I will shortly be launching an innovative website aimed at university students which I hope will prove a big success.

My question is this - given the above, how easy would it be to apply for the L1-a visa using one of my companies (also including the personal service company?). I will meet the 12 months rule so there are no problems there.

Secondly, would it be better / easier to apply for the E2 visa instead as it gives you an initial 5 year stay, versus the L1-a which gives an initial 12 months.

I'd be grateful for any and all feedback.

Thank you
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on best way to move to the USA

Originally Posted by Barcholder
Secondly, would it be better / easier to apply for the E2 visa instead as it gives you an initial 5 year stay, versus the L1-a which gives an initial 12 months.
Welcome to BE.

What is your long-term goal? Is it to simply work in the US for a while, or are you looking to become a permanent resident (= green card) at some point? If the former, then either visa is likely fine. If the latter, then you should concentrate on the L-1A.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ian

I am looking to relocate the family from the Uk to the states, not merely work here for a couple of years. I understand that its easier to obtain the L1a compared to E2, but my concern is that it only grants an initial 12 months, which, given that I'm coming with my young family, seems really risky. Businesses somethimes take a while to pick up so its impossible to say whether I'd defiately get a renewal straight away.

My other question is, what is the criteria for the business type to qualify for the L1a. Are online businesses eligible? What is the minimum turnover of the UK business etc? I'm trying to work out whether my businesses will qualify.

Many thanks
Old Aug 21st 2010, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian

I am looking to relocate the family from the Uk to the states, not merely work here for a couple of years. I understand that its easier to obtain the L1a compared to E2, but my concern is that it only grants an initial 12 months, which, given that I'm coming with my young family, seems really risky. Businesses somethimes take a while to pick up so its impossible to say whether I'd defiately get a renewal straight away.

My other question is, what is the criteria for the business type to qualify for the L1a. Are online businesses eligible? What is the minimum turnover of the UK business etc? I'm trying to work out whether my businesses will qualify.

Many thanks
How many Employees do you have?

How will the business's continue in your absence?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the E2 is usually issued from London for only a couple of years initially but if all goes well then it can be renewed for a longer length of time.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking to relocate the family from the Uk to the states, not merely work here for a couple of years. I understand that its easier to obtain the L1a compared to E2, but my concern is that it only grants an initial 12 months, which, given that I'm coming with my young family, seems really risky.
I understand your hesitation, but I don't believe there is a direct route to a GC with an E-2 visa, whereas there is for an L-1A. Both visas have pros and cons. One of the E-2 cons is that your children will "age out" and must leave the US once they turn 21.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that the E2 does not lead to a green card, but that said, the L1a is only for a maximum of 7 years, and a GC is not guaranteed. My daughter is 5 years old so I'm not really too worried about ageing out at 21 as it seems such a long time in the future.

To be honest, I'm not really looking more than 5 years ahead at a time as anything can happen. But giving the difficulty in obtaining any visa, I'm struggling to decide the best route giving my circumstances.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
How many Employees do you have?

How will the business's continue in your absence?
I have 1 member of staff - the recruitment business will continue in my absence and I will continue to operate the hedge fund from the states. I trade online so am not limited by location
Old Aug 21st 2010, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 1 member of staff - the recruitment business will continue in my absence and I will continue to operate the hedge fund from the states. I trade online so am not limited by location
That pretty much rules out the L.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't sound like you've got a L1 chance, business needs to keep going and have employees in the UK.

E2 might be easy to get, but it's rather hard to renew, quite a few threads on that.

Also, don't take long term issues lightly, they can be a major hassle to over come.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Doesn't sound like you've got a L1 chance, business needs to keep going and have employees in the UK.

E2 might be easy to get, but it's rather hard to renew, quite a few threads on that.

Also, don't take long term issues lightly, they can be a major hassle to over come.
Thanks for your input. I'm not taking the long term issues lightly at all. I realise there is no direct green card route, but given my wife can work on the visa, it's possible to getbthe green card via that route. My focus right now is to get out of the uk and to the USA where the quality of life is far higher than we currently enjoy.

My understanding is that E2 renewal relies on the continued viability of the business in question. Is there a minimum level of profitability required to maintain the E2 visa?
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input. I'm not taking the long term issues lightly at all.
Just as an aside, we moved to the US when my eldest was your child's age, 10 years ago. If we had to go back to the UK now I think he'd be totally lost (and my DD who's 2 years younger than him)
I'm glad you're thinking of the long term issues as well.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisa67
Just as an aside, we moved to the US when my eldest was your child's age, 10 years ago. If we had to go back to the UK now I think he'd be totally lost (and my DD who's 2 years younger than him)
I'm glad you're thinking of the long term issues as well.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it will be tough for your kids to re-assimilate back in the Uk now. To be honest, they are far better off in the USA as Britain really is not in a great place at the moment. Unfortunately I only see it getting worse.

It looks like my best option is the E2 route, which, though far from ideal, is still a heck of a lot better than staying in London. I'm out in Atlanta at the moment and absolutely love it here. Alpharetta in particular is fabulous.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

porvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really niceporvera is just really nice

Have you considered the EB5 visa route?

OK the investment is quite hefty but you are getting Green Cards (conditional to start with) and after 5 years you could become a citizen.

With a green card you can do what you like (legal) workwise, you are not restricted to location and although your Daughter is only 5 now, the years will pass very quickly.

The turn around time for the visa depends alot on which Regional Centre you go for. Check out Vermont, as a state they are very proactive and impressively quick on getting visa's approved.

Porvera
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by porvera
Have you considered the EB5 visa route?

OK the investment is quite hefty but you are getting Green Cards (conditional to start with) and after 5 years you could become a citizen.

With a green card you can do what you like (legal) workwise, you are not restricted to location and although your Daughter is only 5 now, the years will pass very quickly.

The turn around time for the visa depends alot on which Regional Centre you go for. Check out Vermont, as a state they are very proactive and impressively quick on getting visa's approved.

Porvera
I wish I had the money to go down that route but unfortunately I don't. 500k is an awful lot of money. If I had it that would be my chosen route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.