Advanced Parole

Old Feb 19th 2001, 7:13 pm
Sergei Voronov

Hi, I'm having H-1B, applied for adjustment of status last Sept. together with my wife.
She intends to visit her parents. Is there advantage/disadvantage to file I-131, Advance
Parole, to regular visa procedures at her country or Canada/Mexico? As I see, the advance
parole is faster, does not involve personal visit to a consulate and much cheaper taken in
account the reprocity visa fee.

Thanks, Sergei.

Ingo wrote:

> Advance Parole is a document that allows you to reenter the USA even though you are not
> normally eligible for a visa.
>
> The most common situation is somebody who applied for Adjustment of Status - a green
> card. Since you don't say what your current status is, I can't tell you whether or not
> Advance Parole is right for you.
>
> Ingo

Old Feb 20th 2001, 8:26 pm
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Sergei Voronov wrote:

> I'm having H-1B, applied for adjustment of status last Sept. together with my wife. She
> intends to visit her parents. Is there advantage/disadvantage to file I-131, Advance
> Parole, to regular visa procedures at her country or Canada/Mexico? As I see, the
> advance parole is faster, does not involve personal visit to a consulate and much
> cheaper taken in account the reprocity visa fee.

I think you are right. Your wife has the choice of using advance parole or getting an H
visa stamp. There are no significant disadvantages to using advance parole, and AP would
seem to take less time, effort and money for your wife.

> Ingo wrote:
>
> > Advance Parole is a document that allows you to reenter the USA even though you are
> > not normally eligible for a visa.
> >
> > The most common situation is somebody who applied for Adjustment of Status - a green
> > card. Since you don't say what your current status is, I can't tell you whether or not
> > Advance Parole is right for you.