administratively closed

Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default administratively closed

situation: individual was in removal proceedings. case was administratively closed so they can file to adjust status due to spouse (currently LPR with expired green card, eligible to apply for citizenship).

what happens if nothing is ever filed to adjust status. does administratively closed mean the case is closed forever or there will eventually be a follow up hearing? as long as adjustment of status is never filed then the person will just continue to remain out of status until and unless they are put back in removal proceedings?
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: administratively closed

Originally Posted by cmstrick
situation: individual was in removal proceedings. case was administratively closed so they can file to adjust status due to spouse (currently LPR with expired green card, eligible to apply for citizenship).

what happens if nothing is ever filed to adjust status. does administratively closed mean the case is closed forever or there will eventually be a follow up hearing? as long as adjustment of status is never filed then the person will just continue to remain out of status until and unless they are put back in removal proceedings?
"Administrative closure" takes the case off the court's calendar. It can be placed back on the court's calendar at the request of either party.

It should be noted that an alien cannot adjust while in a removal case which is administratively closed unless they are an "arriving alien." If they are not an "arriving alien" it is necessary for a case to be "terminated" for CIS to obtain jurisdiction.

One may want to read Matter of Yauri, 25 I&N Dec. 103 (BIA 2009). I happen to be quite familiar with the case and the underlying procedural facts are downright weird -- many of which are not set forth in the opinion. Yauri was discussed a bit in the the recent Freire case in the Second Circuit. I am amused that the BIA referred to the way USCIS operates as "whim." The really said that.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

cmstrick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
"Administrative closure" takes the case off the court's calendar. It can be placed back on the court's calendar at the request of either party.

It should be noted that an alien cannot adjust while in a removal case which is administratively closed unless they are an "arriving alien." If they are not an "arriving alien" it is necessary for a case to be "terminated" for CIS to obtain jurisdiction.

One may want to read Matter of Yauri, 25 I&N Dec. 103 (BIA 2009). I happen to be quite familiar with the case and the underlying procedural facts are downright weird -- many of which are not set forth in the opinion. Yauri was discussed a bit in the the recent Freire case in the Second Circuit. I am amused that the BIA referred to the way USCIS operates as "whim." The really said that.
i have been misinformed, then, as this is not an arriving alien situation. what are the possible outcomes of removal proceedings that would give someone the ability to remain without adjusting their status at the termination of the proceedings?

im aware of cancellation of removal
voluntary departure and adjustment of status

will the Ij just close the case and revert control to uscis? doesnt seem plausible, but i dont know .....
Old Aug 9th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it is up to ICE District Counsel. If the TA agrees, the IJ can "terminate" the proceedings. In that case, USCIS will then have jurisdiction over the adjustment. Otherwise, it is the IJ who will have jurisdiction over any relief such as adjustment, asylum, cancellation, etc.

BTW, in most case voluntary departure is worthless. The 1996 amendments made it harder to get and also made it worthless - go figure. However, it remained a habit since 1997 to continue the prior practice of getting it. Many attorneys now consider it downright malpractice to seek and obtain it.