Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of status from B1/2 to R1

Adjustment of status from B1/2 to R1

Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:31 am
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice
Default Re: Adjustment of status from B1/2 to R1

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Another interesting case is Soltane.

Note that this was written by Supreme Court Justice Alito before he was appointed to the Supreme Court. I found the statements on burden of proof because Justice Alito adopted an interpretation I had been asserting for years. [When that case came out, a good friend in Dallas called me laughing "You know that argument that you have been advancing with no success?" She then referred me to Soltane.].
Thank you again for this rich resource. Could you clarify what your interpretation of burden of proof is, which is supported in this case? I think what they say is that the burden of proof to show religious occupation, which falls within the specs. of an R1 application, is on the petitioning organization/applicant but that it should not be unreasonably refused if such proof has been provided. Is this the main point or am I missing it?
sam
Old Feb 17th 2014, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He may be a Lawyer.

He is not your Lawyer, or your prospective Employer's Lawyer.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:39 am
Just Joined

sambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nicesambhodi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
He may be a Lawyer.

He is not your Lawyer, or your prospective Employer's Lawyer.
This is understood. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
Imagine that up until a fee years ago, Canadians could apply for an R at the port of entry much like a TN. They stopped that practice for some odd reason....
News to me: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/in...ing-visas.html

I remember talking to someone from Cardston who had R-1, he didn't have a visa, not sure when he originally got it but I'd say it was less than a few years ago.

Or do you mean they have to file an I-129 first? Okay yes I think they did that.

Last edited by Steve_; Feb 20th 2014 at 6:03 am.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:53 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angel Flower
This is interesting. I am also part of a spiritual organization and would like to apply for B2. What sort of documents do one need to provide?

I would be thankful for for advice. And for R1, what docs do one need to provide? The organization has a status as non profit/ religious situation. Thanks so much.
Read the regulations.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:56 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment: about 10 years back, DHS got very strict on religious workers.
How does this missionary exemption work, that was one of the arguments used against SB1070 in court, i.e. there is an exemption for missionaries but they can work so they could enter Arizona and have no immigration documentation on them to check.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by sambhodi
Thank-you, this is a good way to look at it. In this case the organization is the default and my income a safety net. So yes room and board would be one to emphasis. However, if I was to become a permanent resident under an R1 I think the tax rules kick in for me to pay tax in the States rather than the UK. Do you know if this is correct?
You may be resident for tax purposes on R-1, depends on your length of stay, your intent, whether you claim a tax treaty exemption.

Read this.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:24 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
News to me: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas/in...ing-visas.html

I remember talking to someone from Cardston who had R-1, he didn't have a visa, not sure when he originally got it but I'd say it was less than a few years ago.

Or do you mean they have to file an I-129 first? Okay yes I think they did that.
Yes. In the old days, Canadians could skip the petition and apply at the border. Now they need the approved petition. They are still visa exempt.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 10:32 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

(b) Visitors—
(1) General. Any B-1 visitor for business or B-2 visitor for pleasure may be admitted for not more than one year and may be granted extensions of temporary stay in increments of not more than six months each, except that alien members of a religious denomination coming temporarily and solely to do missionary work in behalf of a religious denomination may be granted extensions of not more than one year each, provided that such work does not involve the selling of articles or the solicitation or acceptance of donations. Those B-1 and B-2 visitors admitted pursuant to the waiver provided at § 212.1(e) of this chapter may be admitted to and stay on Guam for period not to exceed fifteen days and are not eligible for extensions of stay.
I'd read it so many times I hadn't taken it in.

So what does that mean exactly, "missionary work" because it was used as an argument for a facial challenge to SB1070, i.e. a person could enter and have no visa, (presumably by being either Canadian or having an extension granted after their visa expired) and also work, albeit only missionary work, therefore there is no documentation to show a police officer. Thus due process is violated.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:48 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect there are very few missionaries who remain long term by getting extensions.

A person with the approved extension would have an I-797 with an I-94 on it. There is anecdotal evidence that a Canadian B1 or B2 would need to extend status to stay over a year as the max period of initial admission for the B1 or B2 classification is one year even if the arrival was not documented. They may not be removable as an overstay or accrue unlawful presence unless admitted to a specific date, but may potentially be removable for failure to comply per 237(a)(1)(C).

Interestingly enough is that with the phasing out of the I-94 at airports, I suspect a lot of Canadians visitors are being admitted to a specific date with the passport stamp that didn't used to be. I'm curious if a Canadian visitor admitted by air could pull up an electronic I-94 from the web site.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 5:38 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

They just swipe it and hand it back to you. Definitely not stamped and no I-94, electronic or otherwise. Can't even see how the electronic I-94 thing could work with a NEXUS card either. There's no field to enter the information. Odd, because you can be issued an I-94 with just a NEXUS card. Hmm, I wonder how that works.

IATA rules require you to show a passport at check-in, but CBP never look at them at pre-clearance if you have a NEXUS card.

I know if you're granted some other non-immigrant status at the POE you then have to go to the NEXUS office before your next entry so they can update the record, I was told when I got mine you would present the I-94... but would you have one. Good question, I shall ask.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 9:57 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh why did I ask.

Basically, you have to print off the I-94 from the electronic I-94 website and present it at the NEXUS office... problem is that the electronic I-94 website doesn't accept NEXUS information. So... the other option is to present your passport as the NEXUS office... but what if you entered purely with a NEXUS card?

Dunno, I think the only option is to get CBP to do a paper one.

Edit: got hold of someone at CBP who said in this situation they have to issue a paper I-94, this is standard procedure if you enter without a passport. So then you have to take that to the NEXUS office. Wow. So automated...

Last edited by Steve_; Feb 21st 2014 at 10:06 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve_
You may be resident for tax purposes on R-1, depends on your length of stay, your intent, whether you claim a tax treaty exemption.

Read this.
Thanks.