Adherence to H1B Activities

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice
Question Adherence to H1B Activities

I’m a research assistant professor at a University in Georgia. Last week my boss stated that all staff including me would be required to spend half a day doing volunteer work which involves either making sandwiches for homeless people or delivering the sandwiches to their homes. I didn’t go to this (I went to work instead) because

1) I was inundated with deadlines which I felt I wouldn’t be able to honor if I did not spend the time on my work;
2) I was worried about the legal ramifications of doing non H1B tasks in another organization/ off site. My boss is now alleging that my failure to do the "mandatory voluntary work" is insubordination. I’d be grateful for any advice on my rights with regard to this issue.

Is the fact that she was trying to make me carry out non H1B tasks a valid defense against her insubordination allegations?

PS During my tenure in this position I’ve been asked to do several tasks which don’t correspond with the H1B activities outlined in my H1B petition, e.g. addressing envelopes, sending out standard letters, producing minutes for meetings, registration and time keeping duties in relation to events and event planning.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 5:45 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adherence to H1B Activities

Originally Posted by Clare37
I’m a research assistant professor at a University in Georgia. Last week my boss stated that all staff including me would be required to spend half a day doing volunteer work which involves either making sandwiches for homeless people or delivering the sandwiches to their homes. I didn’t go to this (I went to work instead) because

1) I was inundated with deadlines which I felt I wouldn’t be able to honor if I did not spend the time on my work;
2) I was worried about the legal ramifications of doing non H1B tasks in another organization/ off site. My boss is now alleging that my failure to do the "mandatory voluntary work" is insubordination. I’d be grateful for any advice on my rights with regard to this issue.

Is the fact that she was trying to make me carry out non H1B tasks a valid defense against her insubordination allegations?

PS During my tenure in this position I’ve been asked to do several tasks which don’t correspond with the H1B activities outlined in my H1B petition, e.g. addressing envelopes, sending out standard letters, producing minutes for meetings, registration and time keeping duties in relation to events and event planning.

Thanks in advance.
This is the job you hate and can't wait to leave, right?

The 'forced' volunteerism is a new thing at work here. I don't know the 'legalese' answer to your question, but I know that USCs face the same sort of pressure.
I personally don't think it would break the terms of your H-1B but I don't think boss' claim of insubordination is appropriate either. You've put yourself in the 'not a team player' basket though.

All the more reason to get that application going! Hang in there!
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you are taking a needlessly narrow view of what you are allowed to do while on an H1B visa, but I also think that it is ridiculous for any employer to attempt to "require" their staff to participate in volunteer activities.

I also believe that anyone outside of the military who actually seriously uses the term "insubordination" is, by definition, a pompous ass, a jerk, and someone I would not under any circumstances want to work either for or with ...
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:38 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i think you could have handled it differently with hindsight. I would have sent an email or memo stating your deadlines and requesting to be excused from the activity so as to not impact them. I expect she would have disagreed anyway - but at least you could cover yourself against not meeting the deadlines. You could even have asked her which of the deadlines was the one that should slip - so she realises the cost of her request.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago annually has one of those Saturdays where companies get their employees to go out and paint a school. It's one of those events where my company regards their employees attending as mandatory regardless of H1B status. I don't see how doing one day of voluntary work would be considered as outside my H1B I'm not depriving a fellow Chicagoan of work

Hope Georgia isn't one of those "At Will" States you might be finding yourself on a plane back home, I've seen several colleagues get onto the wrong side of their boss

Last edited by dave2702; Jun 24th 2008 at 8:25 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:21 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Clare, I've read your accounts of the saga of you and your boss with interest.

I've concluded that I side with your boss. You sound like the employee from hell.

Have a nice day!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

maxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nicemaxl is just really nice

Well if I was in your position, and my boss asked me to do it, I would just do it. I would feel very lucky and privileged to have an H1B and helping those less fortunate than yourself, during a normal working day is surely a good thing isn't it? Besides it gets you out of the office
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave2702
Chicago annually has one of those Saturdays where companies get their employees to go out and paint a school. It's one of those events where my company regards their employees attending as mandatory regardless of H1B status. I don't see how doing one day of voluntary work would be considered as outside my H1B I'm not depriving a fellow Chicagoan of work

Hope Georgia isn't one of those "At Will" States you might be finding yourself on a plane back home, I've seen several colleagues get onto the wrong side of their boss
yeah, but it depends on the type of voluntary work, soup kitchen would probably be fine, but a day in a salvation army store might not be, sort of thing...

In this case, I'd read the small print of what your duties would include, if it says anything along the lines "...and any other duties inline with the job..." you'd be SOL and should have gotten that scratched from the contract if you didn't want to be doing this sort of thing, or doing minutes etc.

Might be irrelevant if the state is at will, they could just chose to can you, all they'd have to do is provide a ticket home, they wouldn't have to pick the tab to repatriate the rest of your crap though.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:08 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a research assistant professor at a University in Georgia. Last week my boss stated that all staff including me would be required to spend half a day doing volunteer work which involves either making sandwiches for homeless people or delivering the sandwiches to their homes.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Clare, I've read your accounts of the saga of you and your boss with interest.

I've concluded that I side with your boss. You sound like the employee from hell.

Have a nice day!
Dayam - already k'd ya.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Gee, if I adhered strictly to what it said under H1-B tasks, I'd have had my arse kicked back to blighty ages ago!!!

Personally, I think the volunteer work is a good idea, giving back to the community in which you live and work. I'm afraid I have little sympathy, a few hours out of your working day, is hardly an imposition.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:22 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Gee, if I adhered strictly to what it said under H1-B tasks, I'd have had my arse kicked back to blighty ages ago!!!

Personally, I think the volunteer work is a good idea, giving back to the community in which you live and work. I'm afraid I have little sympathy, a few hours out of your working day, is hardly an imposition.
Plus it is generally accepted that assistant profs get all the shit dropped down on them. And they do that crap work with smiles on their faces if they want to get tenured. (Hence I stayed away from that path.) Guess it's time to start a search for a new job.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.. you do sound like a prima donna. I have a "specialty occupation" visa and frequently produce minutes, or send out letters. There's little more annoying than the "that's not my job" whiner at work.