Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Additional US/Dutch-based questions....

Additional US/Dutch-based questions....

Old Jul 31st 2002, 6:20 pm
Kaasman

Default Additional US/Dutch-based questions....

Hi,

All this information has been very helpful and we appreciate your responses. We still
have a few questions. What exactly is a DCF? And I-130 visa? Here is a little more
about our situation if this helps any: Peter is going home anyway at the end of
October because he has to sell his house. So here is hypothetical #1: we marry here
before he goes home, I fly out the week of Thanksgiving (very little holiday time
working in America), so having just that week in Holland, will I be able to just
swing by the embassy to fill out the paperwork, and then return, leaving Peter behind
to wait for his documents? And what exactly will Peter get? I understand it's not a
full blown green card but your responses make it sound like he will arrive in America
ready to work and travel the next day.

Now if we go with the K1, am I correct in understanding that he will then have to
spend time at INS, applying for SSN's, work visas, etc? And if so, how fast can he
get those once we're married?

I've done more research now that I have DSL at work. From what I've read, it seems
a lot of people go to Holland, fill out the papers and then go back to the US
while their spouse waits for the medical/interview. So it sounds like if we have
limited time in HOlland, our best option is to marry here first. Does that make
sense? Thanks,

SF Jen en Peter

Old Jul 31st 2002, 7:20 pm
Eileen

Default Re: Additional US/Dutch-based questions....

> I've done more research now that I have DSL at work. From what I've read, it seems
    > a lot of people go to Holland, fill out the papers and then go back to the US
    > while their spouse waits for the medical/interview. So it sounds like if we have
    > limited time in HOlland, our best option is to marry here first. Does that make
    > sense? Thanks,
    >
    > SF Jen en Peter

yup.......***IF**** he has not overstayed any visas in America You still need to
answer that question for us. Now you are getting it...... You are beginning to see
the process and how you can make it fit into your lives. hmmmm...not getting too much
done at work today???? Eileen

Old Aug 1st 2002, 1:20 am
Kaasman

"Eileen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected] .net>...
    > > I've done more research now that I have DSL at work. From what I've read, it
    > > seems a lot of people go to Holland, fill out the papers and then go back to the
    > > US while their spouse waits for the medical/interview. So it sounds like if we
    > > have limited time in HOlland, our best option is to marry here first. Does that
    > > make sense? Thanks,
    > >
    > > SF Jen en Peter
    >
    > yup.......***IF**** he has not overstayed any visas in America You still need to
    > answer that question for us. Now you are getting it...... You are beginning to see
    > the process and how you can make it fit into your lives. hmmmm...not getting too
    > much done at work today???? Eileen

Yes, we are getting it now. I just downloaded the I130 off the computer and G-325A.
To answer your questions, he has not overstayed any visa (he has a 10 year, multiple
entry visa; he arrived in April and is living in October and got stamped in for six
months, although we are going on vacation in September to Guatemala; but the bottom
line is no, we have been very carefuly about obeying visa limitations); he has no
diseases and no criminal history. A pretty straightforward case, really.

So do you know the answer to this one: if we marry before he goes home, can I fill
out the I130 and have him just drop it off at the embassy or is there more involved?
And if I drop it off the Monday of the week of Thanksgiving and go home at the end of
the week, is it okay for him to sit around waiting for the interview and the medical?
It seems like that is how everyone has done it.

Another thing: does Peter need a birth certificate to get married in America? It
wasn't a productive day at work, that's for sure. Jen

Old Aug 1st 2002, 4:21 am
Eileen

> So do you know the answer to this one: if we marry before he goes home, can I fill
    > out the I130 and have him just drop it off at the embassy or is there more
    > involved?

NO, remember the part about it being the USC(UScitizen) petition and you must be
there (Amsterdam) to present the petition with Peter....then you do not have to
appear for the rest of the process.

>And if I drop it off
You CANNOT drop it off

> is it okay for him to sit around waiting for the interview and the
medical? No, he must help his mother paint the kitchen and fix the clothesline and
the bricks by the front door. He just can't come to America for the 45-46 calendar
days it takes to complete the process of DCF in the Netherlands.

>
    > Another thing: does Peter need a birth certificate to get married in America?
call your city hall for the requirements in California. Each state has their own
regulations.

Just a suggestion, since you said you are going to Guatemala so seems you are not
dead broke. Consider this option: 1-get married in America 2--collect all the
evidence and fill out all the papers 3-stop in Amsterdam and file the petition on the
way to Guatemala.(take the scenic route) Then the petition gets started in September
and you may be able to go home to America together in late November. just a thought.
good luck, Eileen

Old Aug 1st 2002, 10:21 pm
Jennifer

[email protected] (kaasman) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > All this information has been very helpful and we appreciate your responses. We
    > still have a few questions. What exactly is a DCF? And I-130 visa? Here is a little
    > more about our situation if this helps any: Peter is going home anyway at the end
    > of October because he has to sell his house. So here is hypothetical #1: we marry
    > here before he goes home, I fly out the week of Thanksgiving (very little holiday
    > time working in America), so having just that week in Holland, will I be able to
    > just swing by the embassy to fill out the paperwork, and then return, leaving Peter
    > behind to wait for his documents? And what exactly will Peter get? I understand
    > it's not a full blown green card but your responses make it sound like he will
    > arrive in America ready to work and travel the next day.
    >
    > Now if we go with the K1, am I correct in understanding that he will then have to
    > spend time at INS, applying for SSN's, work visas, etc? And if so, how fast can he
    > get those once we're married?
    >
    > I've done more research now that I have DSL at work. From what I've read, it seems
    > a lot of people go to Holland, fill out the papers and then go back to the US
    > while their spouse waits for the medical/interview. So it sounds like if we have
    > limited time in HOlland, our best option is to marry here first. Does that make
    > sense? Thanks,
    >
    > SF Jen en Peter

Hi Jen & Peter, I can't give you advice on the DCF (Direct Consular Filing) or the
I-130. I'll leave that to the experts. But do check out Eileen & Klaus's site:
http://www.usadutch.com.

As for the K1 visa: Yes, you are correct. Peter will have to apply for a SSN, deal
with getting his EAD (employment authorization), and apply for AOS (Adjustment of
Status) with the INS. And there's even more after that...but we're not at that stage
yet, as we are awaiting our AOS interview.

If you want info on the K1 visa, check out this site: http://k1.exit.com/

This site was very helpful to Peter & I when we were going through the K1
process. I also suggest that you do a search on the newsgroup for "Jennifer &
Peter". I was on the newsgroup ALL OF THE TIME when we were going through the K1.
You will see from doing the search...our obstacles, frustrations, and even some
triumphs. Also, read the threads for the awesome advice that we got, especially
from Alvena, Rete & Eileen.

I hope I've been some help. Take care, and good luck to you & Peter.

Jen & Peter (Petrus) US/NL in Portland, OR