ACRO Police Cert panic!

Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

RetroRic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACRO Police Cert panic!

Hi Guys,

Would really appreciate some advice on this one.

I'm going for my B2 VISA interview very soon (7th April) and I was checking through my paperwork to make sure I had everything and I just saw that I've missed the link which tells me that I need to obtain an ACRO Police Cert.

I have to admit, I'm not the most thorough person in the world but the requirement for the ACRO wasn't particularly clear to me on the instructions that were sent after I made payments for the courier and application process etc.

I'm now worried that I wont be able to get the ACRO back to me before I go for my interview as I've got less than 10 working days before my VISA interview and I'm gonna be hard pushed to find someone on the list that has known me for 2 years.

Anyhow, I'm going to be attempting to get the ACRO in time but does anyone know if not having the ACRO will affect my application drastically?

Basically I was arrested and cautioned for abusive language outside a nightclub in 2008, nothing drastic, was not convicted or anything.

I have a CRB check from 2010 which has details of the caution on, I know it's not what I need but I was hoping it might help my situation should I not receive my ACRO in time.

I'm hoping to Travel to the USA in early June, have booked the flights and all that. Should I try and reschedule the appointment interview for a later date when I have the ACRO? my only worry then is that I'll be leaving it too late for my VISA to be approved as I'm guessing a new date for interview might be too close to the time I want to leave.

Any advice would be really helpful and thankyou in advance!
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: ACRO Police Cert panic!

oh sorry, by the way, I just checked my instructions that were sent when I first completed the online part and there is no mention of the ACRO in this first set of instructions. Today I paid for the delivery of documents to a home address and I got the same instructions e-mail accept under the section

General Required Documents - For All Visa Types
There is an additional line of text with a link which says:

If you have been arrested, convicted, or cautioned, have medical ineligibility or have been denied entry, deported or overstayed you must provide additional documents at the time of the visa interview.

For the complete list of additional required documents to bring to the interview:
http://london.usembassy.gov/vcu_interview.html
This wasn't on my first e-mail of instructions that was sent in early February. I'm really annoyed now.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Without the ACRO report they won't give you a decision, CRB isn't worth the paper its written on to the US. Why do you even need a B2? Abusive language does not sound like a CIMT on the face of it.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's £45 for the standard service (10 working days) and £80 for the premium service (2 working days). Fork out the extra £35 and you'll have it back in plenty of time.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 1:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RetroRic
Basically I was arrested and cautioned for abusive language outside a nightclub in 2008, nothing drastic, was not convicted or anything.
I guess it's too late now, but why are you applying for a B-2 visa? Are you not from a VWP eligible country?

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Well I read that if someone has been arrested, even if they are not convicted, they have to apply for a VISA?
Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You misread, or didn't read the question correctly.

The question is 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime involving moral turpitude'

On the very basic information that you gave, your caution may well not be a CIMT.

(And it's a Visa. A VISA is a credit card)
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the correction.

From the London US embassy website:

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp3.html
Travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, those with criminal records, (the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to U.S. visa law), certain serious communicable illnesses, those who have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed on the VWP are not eligible to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.
and

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/add_req.html
Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)

We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested at anytime attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling.
Says nothing about "Moral Turpitude" on these pages, it simply says if you've been arrested, apply for a Visa.

Oh well, thanks for the information anyways, I'm gonna have to try and get this police cert in time, managed to find someone to sign the form, just need to get it sent off so fingers crossed.
Old Mar 27th 2014, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You misread, or didn't read the question correctly.

The question is 'Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime involving moral turpitude'

On the very basic information that you gave, your caution may well not be a CIMT.

(And it's a Visa. A VISA is a credit card)
To be fair, the London US Embassy web site states (or used to at least) that any arrest disqualifies one from using the VWP and that a visa is required, even though that is not the actual law!

I guess the good news for the OP is that it doesn't sound like there's grounds for him to be deemed inadmissable and as he's following the State Department's own guidelines that a visa is required he's unlikely to be denied a visa on the grounds that he is eligible to use the VWP (which he probably is).
Old Mar 27th 2014, 3:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the correction.

From the London US embassy website:

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/vwp3.html

and

http://london.usembassy.gov/niv/add_req.html

Says nothing about "Moral Turpitude" on these pages, it simply says if you've been arrested, apply for a Visa.

Oh well, thanks for the information anyways, I'm gonna have to try and get this police cert in time, managed to find someone to sign the form, just need to get it sent off so fingers crossed.
Yep. Unfortunately, the US Embassy website is wrong. It's the actual question on ESTA which is correct.

Rene
Old Mar 27th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Call me cynical, but whilst I'm sure the State Department would say they're just trying to avoid doubt and being "better safe than sorry" I just can't help but think that those sweet, sweet visa fees have some bearing on their attitude...
Old Mar 27th 2014, 7:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, the web site does not reflect the law - and, in your case, very bad advice has been posted on the web site.

However, you've now followed that bad advice and have applied for a B-2 visa. There are only two possible outcomes from a visa application: approval or denial. Anything that is not an approval, is a denial... anything at all - including you not needing a B-2 because you are eligible for the VWP. If your B-2 is denied, ESTA/VWP travel will also be denied for the next 6-12 months.

Bottom line, if your B-2 is denied, you won't be going on a trip in June. Further, you'll need to declare that denied visa on every subsequent US visa application including ESTA.

Ian
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

So what if I was to cancel my interview and reschedule it for after my trip? Effectively I won't have been denied so I can answer the ESTA questions honestly.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

And for arguments sake, what if I decided to abandon my travel plans? Surely acceptance or denial can't be that black and white? There is no way to cancel an application process?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 4:42 pm

And for arguments sake, what if I decided to abandon my travel plans? Surely acceptance or denial can't be that black and white? There is no way to cancel an application process?
It's pretty black and white. Anything that isn't an approval is considered a denial. However, it might depend what stage you are at in the application process. Have you paid the fee yet?

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.