Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ACRO - No live trace - does this impact approval of I-130

ACRO - No live trace - does this impact approval of I-130

Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ACRO - No live trace - does this impact approval of I-130

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Strictly speaking, the actual facts of what happened do not matter.
So does that mean the back story has no relevance? The OP would be treated the same as somebody that (for example) stole millions in a bank raid and did years in prison because they’re both theft and CIMT’s (assuming BiP is correct above……but I’ve never known him be wrong yet!).

Seems pretty harsh if so.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

mum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Drunk or not, why didn't you ask for one phone call and called your parents to come to the station to pay the driver?
They were in the US themselves at the time and didn’t answer when I called. I had called my brother who was housesitting for them and could have bought me the cash from their house but he was asleep. It was almost midnight by this point. No one left to call. If we had gone to the correct address then we would never have ended up at the police station. The road was Coolgardie Avenue in CHIGWELL. The cab driver went to a Coolgardie Avenue in CHINGFORD. I had told him he was going the wrong way and he said he was following his sat nav. I didn’t question it any further because I didn’t know Coolgardie Avenue in chingford even existed and he was already very angry with me.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

mum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond reputemum2mom23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So does that mean the back story has no relevance? The OP would be treated the same as somebody that (for example) stole millions in a bank raid and did years in prison because they’re both theft and CIMT’s (assuming BiP is correct above……but I’ve never known him be wrong yet!).

Seems pretty harsh if so.
This is what I’m trying to understand. I’ve been told it will be up to the interviewer on the day. They’ll ask me about it and they’ll make a decision. I’m trying to understand/prepare for how much of this is set in stone vs whether it’s a case of me having the opportunity to show them why it’s not a CIMT. I can’t fathom the reasoning of what constitutes this as a CIMT but not drink driving. This was completely and wholly accidental and I tried to fix it, there was no intent or maliciousness at play.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mum2mom23
This is what I’m trying to understand. I’ve been told it will be up to the interviewer on the day. They’ll ask me about it and they’ll make a decision. I’m trying to understand/prepare for how much of this is set in stone vs whether it’s a case of me having the opportunity to show them why it’s not a CIMT. I can’t fathom the reasoning of what constitutes this as a CIMT but not drink driving. This was completely and wholly accidental and I tried to fix it, there was no intent or maliciousness at play.
Just be prepared for not being able to explain, they may not ask you about it at all - if you hunt around the forum you'll find lots of examples of people who've gone ready to explain stuff and not been given the chance. From what I can gather (our interview is in a month so I've been reading up to prepare the kids), the interviews are pretty quick and just at a window usually (like at a bank), you're only taken to a private room if you might need a waiver. So you may get more of a chance to explain there if needed and if you're not taken to the side for that, then that's a good sign.

I don't think there's any grey area, either it comes under one of the CIMT offences or it doesn't, as Mr F has said the reasons for why it happened don't appear to be relevant. So it's just working out if the actual offence comes under a CIMT or not but tbh at this point all you can do is wait and see what the consular officer thinks.

Best of luck, do you have your interview date yet?
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just be prepared for not being able to explain, they may not ask you about it at all - if you hunt around the forum you'll find lots of examples of people who've gone ready to explain stuff and not been given the chance. From what I can gather (our interview is in a month so I've been reading up to prepare the kids), the interviews are pretty quick and just at a window usually (like at a bank), you're only taken to a private room if you might need a waiver. So you may get more of a chance to explain there if needed and if you're not taken to the side for that, then that's a good sign.

I don't think there's any grey area, either it comes under one of the CIMT offences or it doesn't, as Mr F has said the reasons for why it happened don't appear to be relevant. So it's just working out if the actual offence comes under a CIMT or not but tbh at this point all you can do is wait and see what the consular officer thinks.

Best of luck, do you have your interview date yet?
Because they don’t have a like for like charge in the US, I just wonder how they decide if it is CIMT is all. If it said theft it would be simple, but the caution isn’t for theft. It might come under a theft act here but it is not theft. So that’s why it appears to me to be so grey. I can only hope I get the opportunity to explain. The interview is on 26th June. I will accept there won’t be any sleep until then!
Old Jun 14th 2023, 10:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Because they don’t have a like for like charge in the US, I just wonder how they decide if it is CIMT is all. If it said theft it would be simple, but the caution isn’t for theft. It might come under a theft act here but it is not theft. So that’s why it appears to me to be so grey. I can only hope I get the opportunity to explain. The interview is on 26th June. I will accept there won’t be any sleep until then!
At least you've not got long to wait now, best of luck to you.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

They told me the reason I’d have blocked my card with the incorrect pin was because I was too drunk. I believe the disorderly part came from how hysterical I was at the point they told me I was being arrested and cautioned. You have to understand, I thought that was it for me that I would lose my job and then my home etc. I was in a complete state of overwhelm and still trying to give away my belongings to cover the fee of the taxi. I absolutely categorically never intended to make away without payment. I would never dream of it; I have a family member who is also a cab driver and therefore had a lot of respect for our London cabbies. When I was told it would need to go to court if I didn’t accept a caution, and that if I was found guilty in court of making away without payment it could be so much worse, I believed accepting the caution was the right outcome. It really sounds like there should be more to the story but there truly isn’t. It was as someone else put it a complete comedy of errors although one that seems could seriously upturn my family’s life at this point
I think you have misunderstood the intent of my first remark. There is no evidence to support a criminal offense of making off without payment. Simple fact is you made attempts to provide the cabbie with payment. Had you got out of the cab and run down the road, or gone into your flat and not come out again, then yes there would be a making off. But you did nothing to support that. All I can say is I would have dealt with it as a civil debt. Verify your name and address and provided that to the cab driver. With the cab drivers permission I would have given you his name and address and very strongly suggested you post him a cheaque the next day.

Met Police policy was for many years, I don't know if it still is, that if a caution is offered and refused no further action is taken. In court a police officer is considered an expert witness on drunkenness, so very difficult to dispute.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:48 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have the ACRO and subject access report in hand, it may be a good idea to consult with competent immigration counsel. You deserve good information.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think you have misunderstood the intent of my first remark. There is no evidence to support a criminal offense of making off without payment. Simple fact is you made attempts to provide the cabbie with payment. Had you got out of the cab and run down the road, or gone into your flat and not come out again, then yes there would be a making off. But you did nothing to support that. All I can say is I would have dealt with it as a civil debt. Verify your name and address and provided that to the cab driver. With the cab drivers permission I would have given you his name and address and very strongly suggested you post him a cheaque the next day.

Met Police policy was for many years, I don't know if it still is, that if a caution is offered and refused no further action is taken. In court a police officer is considered an expert witness on drunkenness, so very difficult to dispute.
Thank you for this. I wish you were at Leytonstone police station on that fateful evening! I will try to explain your point which is an excellent one if I am given the opportunity at interview
Old Jun 14th 2023, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

Once you have the ACRO and subject access report in hand, it may be a good idea to consult with competent immigration counsel. You deserve good information.
Thank you. I have read a previous post of yours that mentioned something about a petty crime act that negates the CIMT. I have researched the conditions and I do meet those. This crime would have been tried at a magistrates court with less than a 6 month sentence imposed if found guilty. I didn’t serve any time or have any sentencing as it was a caution. So I believe that would be an appropriate avenue, but is the act applicable to immigrant visas, or just non immigrant visas? If so, how do I prove the above. Do I need to take evidence/research explaining the maximum sentencing?
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I have read a previous post of yours that mentioned something about a petty crime act that negates the CIMT. I have researched the conditions and I do meet those. This crime would have been tried at a magistrates court with less than a 6 month sentence imposed if found guilty. I didn’t serve any time or have any sentencing as it was a caution. So I believe that would be an appropriate avenue, but is the act applicable to immigrant visas, or just non immigrant visas? If so, how do I prove the above. Do I need to take evidence/research explaining the maximum sentencing?
The system can be confusing. Also, Lansbury’s post indicates to me that you may not understand what happened in the UK. When I was in practice there were many times when my client’s memory and understanding did not fit with what the paper record showed. Nothing dishonest mind you, just misunderstanding. Hence, get the paperwork and then have it reviewed by competent counsel.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

"no live trace" for purposes of immigration may as well show all details, as that is what you will have to do, we have been there...... its a process!
Old Jun 15th 2023, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karenkaren1
"no live trace" for purposes of immigration may as well show all details, as that is what you will have to do, we have been there...... its a process!
Do you mind sharing your experience and what details you had to show? I have my police certificate and my subject access report from ACRO which both say the same thing - no live trace and then a caution for making away without payment, and it shows my case was disposed of the same day it arose eg no sentence no court case etc.

There is no other paperwork for me to obtain because the local station that dealt with it no longer have any record of it. The subject access report is very basic but says clearly
the caution is for making away without payment and a separate fine (not a caution) for drunk and disorderly. Do you think that is enough?
Old Jun 15th 2023, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

The system can be confusing. Also, Lansbury’s post indicates to me that you may not understand what happened in the UK. When I was in practice there were many times when my client’s memory and understanding did not fit with what the paper record showed. Nothing dishonest mind you, just misunderstanding. Hence, get the paperwork and then have it reviewed by competent counsel.
I have all the paperwork, it says making away without payment as a caution and shows the case was disposed of on the same day. It doesn’t provide any other details and there is nothing further I can obtain
Old Jun 15th 2023, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond reputekarenkaren1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mind sharing your experience and what details you had to show? I have my police certificate and my subject access report from ACRO which both say the same thing - no live trace and then a caution for making away without payment, and it shows my case was disposed of the same day it arose eg no sentence no court case etc.

There is no other paperwork for me to obtain because the local station that dealt with it no longer have any record of it. The subject access report is very basic but says clearly
the caution is for making away without payment and a separate fine (not a caution) for drunk and disorderly. Do you think that is enough?
We had a difficult time as it was a very old Marijuana conviction from when my husband lived in the Channel Islands in the early 90s. He had also erroneously used an esta to travel there and back to the states many times since. We managed to obtain some very vague old court documentation which was basically just a scribbled bit of writing on a piece of paper. You need a VERY good immigration lawyer. with experience in obtaining waivers. We had 1 or 2 who wouldn't represent us as they didn't think my husband had a chance.... 6 years later tho we are very much settled in the USA with green cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.