have still not heard a word from them. What's my next step? Do I go to the
office and ask about it? (what day is best for that)? Do I write my
representative? I'm just getting impatient and want to be done with all
this. I'm worried they've lost it!

Kim

Old Sep 1st 2003, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

Kim we are at the three month mark since our AOS interview... I think we are going to go down to Arlington on Thursday, and if they can't tell us anything hopefully they are willing to process the AP and EAD for my husband ASAP.

Because we are nearly the end of the Gov't fiscal year I can only imagine that there is very little work being done...so I would go sooner than later....
Old Sep 1st 2003, 7:00 pm
Margaret

Default Re: 9mos later - now what?

I have been waiting almost 9 months myself, others are in the same
boat. Kind of ridiculous when others are receiving their stamps
either same day or else within a few months. I went in to BCIS in
June and was told "status still pending, no security checks back yet."
So..........do we keep waiting and for how much longer???

"Kim R." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]. net>...
    > It has been 9 months since I had my AOS status interview at Arlington and I
    > have still not heard a word from them. What's my next step? Do I go to the
    > office and ask about it? (what day is best for that)? Do I write my
    > representative? I'm just getting impatient and want to be done with all
    > this. I'm worried they've lost it!
    >
    > Kim

Old Sep 1st 2003, 9:32 pm
Tormented Soul

maybe you should call them,, you think?

"Kim R." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It has been 9 months since I had my AOS status interview at Arlington and
I
    > have still not heard a word from them. What's my next step? Do I go to
the
    > office and ask about it? (what day is best for that)? Do I write my
    > representative? I'm just getting impatient and want to be done with all
    > this. I'm worried they've lost it!
    > Kim

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 2:56 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the answer to this, but could this wait for security check be a good thing for some couples.....if you have already been married for say 18 months, then the extra 6 months +wait before you get your passport stamped, then you will have been married for over 2 years and go straight to a 10yr green card, as opposed to a conditional 2 year GC, or do they take the date of the interview as the approval date...
Anybody know the answer ?????
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 10:40 am
Kim R.

ray6 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I don't know the answer to this, but could this wait for security check
    > be a good thing for some couples.....if you have already been married
    > for say 18 months, then the extra 6 months +wait before you get your
    > passport stamped, then you will have been married for over 2 years and
    > go straight to a 10yr green card, as opposed to a conditional 2 year GC,
    > or do they take the date of the interview as the approval date...
    > Anybody know the answer ?????

That's my understanding. Our 2nd anniversary was in June, so it's my
understanding that I will go straight to a 10 yr card... which I'm happy
about, but our anniversary was over 2 months ago.

Kim

Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Robert_J is an unknown quantity at this point

Kim,

My wife and I had our AOS interview at Arlington almost 9 months ago. They told us we "passed" and were supposed to wait for an approval letter that was to arrive within 30-120 days, but never did.

We went to the office in April and again in May to try to find out what's going on. They told us it was out of their hands for the time being as they were waiting for background checks to come back.

Others relate similar experiences on the recent thread titled "Interview was fine but.................no stamp " (or something like that).

We know a couple who live in the next town over and who went through the same process through the Baltimore office. He says got his passport stamped within about 3 months of submitting the I-485.

Don't really know what to do......

Originally posted by Kim R.
It has been 9 months since I had my AOS status interview at Arlington and I
have still not heard a word from them. What's my next step? Do I go to the
office and ask about it? (what day is best for that)? Do I write my
representative? I'm just getting impatient and want to be done with all
this. I'm worried they've lost it!

Kim
Old Sep 2nd 2003, 9:42 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Ray,

Whether or not the wait is a good thing may depend on what the ultimate goal is. If the foreign spouse wants to become a citizen, the wait is a bad thing because the waiting time for citizenship eligibility begins when one becomes a PR.

Originally posted by ray6
I don't know the answer to this, but could this wait for security check be a good thing for some couples.....if you have already been married for say 18 months, then the extra 6 months +wait before you get your passport stamped, then you will have been married for over 2 years and go straight to a 10yr green card, as opposed to a conditional 2 year GC, or do they take the date of the interview as the approval date...
Anybody know the answer ?????
Old Sep 4th 2003, 3:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Ray,

Whether or not the wait is a good thing may depend on what the ultimate goal is. If the foreign spouse wants to become a citizen, the wait is a bad thing because the waiting time for citizenship eligibility begins when one becomes a PR.
Yes Jeff you are right!! I had not thought of that bit, although I think a lot of people just look forward to a couple of years of no dealing with BCIS... before they start again...

And are you suggesting all those hot naked ladies that keep emailing me, do not want to befriend me.. (LOL)
Old Sep 4th 2003, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

blenky16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kim,

My understanding was that it was the 2 year anniversary of when you actually received your conditional permanent residency... not your 2 year anniversary of your wedding date. But someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

Sean

Originally posted by Kim R.
ray6 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I don't know the answer to this, but could this wait for security check
    > be a good thing for some couples.....if you have already been married
    > for say 18 months, then the extra 6 months +wait before you get your
    > passport stamped, then you will have been married for over 2 years and
    > go straight to a 10yr green card, as opposed to a conditional 2 year GC,
    > or do they take the date of the interview as the approval date...
    > Anybody know the answer ?????

That's my understanding. Our 2nd anniversary was in June, so it's my
understanding that I will go straight to a 10 yr card... which I'm happy
about, but our anniversary was over 2 months ago.

Kim
Old Sep 4th 2003, 6:11 pm
Ray

Originally posted by blenky16
Kim,

My understanding was that it was the 2 year anniversary of when you actually received your conditional permanent residency... not your 2 year anniversary of your wedding date. But someone else can correct me if I am wrong.

Sean
Hi Sean.. you only get the conditional green card if when you get you passport stamped you have been married less than 2 years... If you have been married more than 2 years at time of stamping your passport you get a 10 year GC ...
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

kjdrga is an unknown quantity at this point

kim,

We went to check on the status of our AOS interview 3 months ago. One agent told me that you should receive notice within 120 days of the interview, that is how much time they are allowed to respond.... but then again everyone has a different answer....

So while we were there we did a walk-in filing of the renewal EAD and AP.

The wait was long over 6 hours (we overslept and arrived in line outside around 7:15am) but in our opinion worth it, because it cut down of mail time and at least didn't get lost in the mail. Now whether it doesn't get lost in the office is a whole other issue which we hope won't happen.

It was really sad to see so many disgruntle people there looking for answers and everyone saying the same thing....that there is really no one place to find an honest answer. You ask three different officers the same question you get three different answers, you call the help line 3 different times you get different answers. They are still continuing to mail people things to their old address even though they received a receipt from BCIS confirming their new address (that was another reason we decided to wait the wait).