Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

46 year old conviction - inadmissible ?

46 year old conviction - inadmissible ?

Old May 1st 2012, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 46 year old conviction - inadmissible ?

Originally Posted by James_Angelo
materialcontroller,this is more useful post, thank you. I will look at what a B2 is.
A B2 visa is a tourist visa.

Your father is inadmissible for travel under the VWP. So if he wants to visit the USA legally, he needs a B2 visa (and almost certainly a waiver of ineligibility too). But much better to do that than continue using the VWP illegally.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

In the United Kingdom, amphetamines are regarded as Class B drugs. The maximum penalty for unauthorized possession is five years in prison and an unlimited fine. The maximum penalty for illegal supply is 14 years in prison and an unlimited fine
Old May 1st 2012, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
In the United Kingdom, amphetamines are regarded as Class B drugs. The maximum penalty for unauthorized possession is five years in prison and an unlimited fine. The maximum penalty for illegal supply is 14 years in prison and an unlimited fine
Pretty serious stuff. But also a long time ago. The illicit VWP activity is likely to be just as (if not more) problematic, depending on how recent it has been.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be shitting myself going through immigration, perhaps a few amphetamines would help calming someone down.
Old May 1st 2012, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

James_Angelo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would be shitting myself going through immigration, perhaps a few amphetamines would help calming someone down.
Seems like you might need a straight jacket in addition to the diaper cos amphetamines give you energy so I have been told

Last edited by James_Angelo; May 1st 2012 at 8:02 pm.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

James_Angelo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Amphetamines (aka Purple Hearts) were the drug of choice back in the sixties and everyone was using them casually. It is currently a Class B drug in the UK, but at the time of the offence Amphetamines were on the US Schedule III, but were moved to Schedule II in 1971 (5 years after the offence). Not sure if it makes much difference.
Old May 1st 2012, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like you might need a straight jacket in addition to the diaper cos amphetamines give you energy so I have been told
I will accept your guidance.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
A B2 visa is a tourist visa.

Your father is inadmissible for travel under the VWP. So if he wants to visit the USA legally, he needs a B2 visa (and almost certainly a waiver of ineligibility too). But much better to do that than continue using the VWP illegally.
Does he really want to open Pandora's Box? It's sitting in the attic covered in dust, and is likely to remain that way should it not be disturbed. Open it and there's no closing it again.
Old May 1st 2012, 9:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Amphetamines (aka Purple Hearts) were the drug of choice back in the sixties and everyone was using them casually. It is currently a Class B drug in the UK, but at the time of the offence Amphetamines were on the US Schedule III, but were moved to Schedule II in 1971 (5 years after the offence). Not sure if it makes much difference.
everybody was not using them casually..just the junkies and the morons
How dare you claim that
Old May 1st 2012, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I would rather give you the benefit of the doubt as you may have took your eye off the speedo for a second.
Well, unless you were there 46 years ago, all you really know for certain is what you've been told. You noted, yourself, that others felt that 21 months (although you said 23 in the beginning) was too long... so perhaps you're not being told the entire story.

People lie... parents especially so! People also minimize!

Number 1. is simplest, cheapest and seems to be working (despite me being demonized for even having the thought of him doing it)
Here's the thing... it's not that you thought of him doing it - it's that he's actually been doing it and not only are you're okay with it, you'd like to encourage it to continue.

That said then, I'm stepping back from this thread. You know what his options are.

Ian
Old May 1st 2012, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

James,

No one on this forum is going to tell you it's OK to lie to immigration officials, or to lie on any immigration forms. You came here asking for advice, you've been given the advice. Whatever your father chooses to do with that advice is up to him.

I think all the options are out there, and the OP knows them, and his father can now decide what to do.

Thread closed.

Rene