Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

4 baking potatoes. Publix: 2.89 + tax. Tesco: 69p.

4 baking potatoes. Publix: 2.89 + tax. Tesco: 69p.

Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default 4 baking potatoes. Publix: 2.89 + tax. Tesco: 69p.

WTH?

Loaf of bread. Closest to British I could find (i.e. doesn't taste like sugar or smell like bleach), Publix: 2.59 + tax. Tesco: 1.07.

Someone back home was telling us that food prices had come down recently in the UK so earlier on I had a quick look on tesco.com and I'd have to say I was plesantly suprised. Anyone else think their food budget is going to significantly shrink when they get home?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:43 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 baking potatoes. Publix: 2.89 + tax. Tesco: 69p.

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
WTH?

Loaf of bread. Closest to British I could find (i.e. doesn't taste like sugar or smell like bleach), Publix: 2.59 + tax. Tesco: 1.07.

Someone back home was telling us that food prices had come down recently in the UK so earlier on I had a quick look on tesco.com and I'd have to say I was plesantly suprised. Anyone else think their food budget is going to significantly shrink when they get home?

I know it will.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:56 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I also know it will. I lived back there for 6mths last year. I know it IS cheaper than here, and far better quality in most things.

This site gives prices for most of the big supermarkets in UK and also allows you to compare.

www.mysupermarket.co.uk
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:26 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

WTH?

Annoying isn't it.
Today I paid $2.89 for a small loaf of bread, cheapest half way decent loaf I could find. Then I got baking potatoes for 49c a pound, those things weight about a pound each.
My Mum is horrified at the food prices on basics here every year when she visits
Old Jan 30th 2009, 2:10 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

The crap that passes for food in texas produce depts is amazing. Prices in the UK over christmas were pleasantly surprising to say the least (and the quality!).
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

I always got snorted at when I tried to explain food shopping in the US was really very expensive compared to the UK - and that's when the xrate was 1.70, must seem appalling by comparison now.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

WTH?

Yes, I was just saying today that I just can't believe how much our shopping bill has gone us in the past year. Today went shopping (trying my hardest to be frugal) and spent $220 for 4 of us. $880 a month is way too much in my opinion and that's being very frugal indeed, nothing special in the shopping trolley just basic needs stuff.

A loaf at Publix in Orlando south cost me $3.59 today. Nuts and rice/pasta has skyrocketed down here in Orlando the past year. Hubby says he's fed up of paying so much for bread will start baking instead.

I too was taking a nosy around tesco website last week comparing and did a pretend shop (a pretend one just adding items to shopping basket) and all came to 65.00 pounds for similar type of food for a week.

I have tried all shops to try to get the costings down but nothing seems to work, all work out the same really.

What a rip off the USA seems to be for food shopping. Is that why most Americans eat out in cheap restaurants each night I wonder. Not for me though, I just love home cooking and tried to do the eating out 6 nights a week lark for a while but didn't like it at all.

I am looking forward to doing a good old shop, that's one thing I used to do when I was in UK, tesco delivery and it was fab! Great way to keep within a budget too. I remember back in 2005 before we came here I used to spend 50.00 pounds a week and that included nappies and baby milk in that total. I guess it's gone up a bit since then but I don't think expedentially like it has here.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What a great idea I'm going to pretend shop on Tesco and add all the things I bought yesterday and see the difference. I'll let you know my price differences when I get done.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
What a great idea I'm going to pretend shop on Tesco and add all the things I bought yesterday and see the difference. I'll let you know my price differences when I get done.

I had my old login details to be able to get in. You can probably sign up if you haven't got a login yet. Good luck and happy shopping
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:30 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

We've done a pretend shop on tesco and it is definately cheaper. Plus here in Oz, you pay more for less. For example, a loaf in the UK is normally 800 grms while here in Oz, it's usually 600 grms. Cunning eh?
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Also, they've got some new searches on there now which weren't on there when I was in the UK.

First one, express shopper. love this. you just type in your list and they bring up all of your shopping list items.

THEN, second one, find CHEAPER ALTERNATIVES. that can really help to slash the prices and find cheaper ones that you may not usually buy. great idea.

Have fun shopping!!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:42 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I found out something very interesting yesterday, using the supermarket website i posted above. I only put in about half of a monthly shop at Tescos as i didnt have time to do everything. Because you have the abilit to compare your same shopping basket with 4 other supermarkets, it lets you know which one would be cheaper to shop at.
I was stunned that my basket was £50 cheaper in Tesco than it was Sainsburys!! In fact Tesco was the cheapest shop out of all of them.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I was also quite surprised back in the UK last week when I went into a supermarket, meat still a bit exxy but other things compare favourably with Aus especially bread.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

LOL I Still have my old log in.
My total came to 78.60 GBP. I spent just over $300 here in CA for pretty much the same groceries. and that was using $20 in coupons and buy one get one free and buying some stuff in bulk, I had to add two and three packs of some stuff to make up, but lots of things were on offer.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Jan 30th 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 10:00 pm
I don't give a damn

LOL I
Is this a secret code?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.