Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

24 year old looking to work in the CA area...prospects??

24 year old looking to work in the CA area...prospects??

Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

George the chemist is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 24 year old looking to work in the CA area...prospects??

hi im a pharmacist in the uk looking to emigrate and the US (CA bay area in particular) has always appealed to me. I im fully qualified and have worked in community and hospital settings and really looking for a change and to gain a few new experiences...generally im just curious to know what my prospects of getting work and affordable housing, and also what actions i would need to take thanks

Georgw
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 24 year old looking to work in the CA area...prospects??

Read the threads in this post first, then come back with specific questions if you see any scenarios that apply to you.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

thanks had a look there and understand i'd need to apply for a H1-a(??), for which, a clearly defined job offer is a necessity. As said above im curious about job prospects in my field has anybody got an mPharm here??? how difficult would it be to gain employment? Also housing is another worry my rent is around £450 for a spacious studio, what could i get in (for example) the CA area for such a fee?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:49 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest a quick google to see if your qualifications are valid in the USA otherwise you may be looking at retraining. On the plus side that would open up the student visa route...
Old Feb 27th 2013, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

already done sir, i would have to pass a conversion exam, but anticipate with 6 months id be qualified if i went ahead
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by George the chemist
thanks had a look there and understand i'd need to apply for a H1-a(??), for which, a clearly defined job offer is a necessity. As said above im curious about job prospects in my field has anybody got an mPharm here??? how difficult would it be to gain employment? Also housing is another worry my rent is around £450 for a spacious studio, what could i get in (for example) the CA area for such a fee?
Not sure H1-A visa exists anymore.

What qualifications do you hold?

Last edited by LinkTen; Feb 27th 2013 at 4:03 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

i hold a masters in pharmacy (mPharm), a proffesional degree enabling me to work as a pharmacist in: community, hospital and or industrial settings in the UK and much of the commonwealth-as posted before i would have to pass a conversion exam to work in the US first though.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

i hold a masters in pharmacy (mPharm), a proffesional degree enabling me to work as a pharmacist in: community, hospital and or industrial settings in the UK and much of the commonwealth-as posted before i would have to pass a conversion exam to work in the US first though.
Sounds like that would be your first step.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Might I suggest you explore job opportunities with some of the bigger retail pharmacies. They might be more familiar with hiring Pharmacists Internationally. I say this because and this is not an insult but it seems every second Pharmacy I visit in Nebraska by the Sea is staffed by a South African Pharmacist:

Try: Target, Vons, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid

I'm sure there are lots more but those come to mind.

They might pay a little less (although I'm not sure about that) but the costs, benefits and training is probably very good.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Might I suggest you explore job opportunities with some of the bigger retail pharmacies. They might be more familiar with hiring Pharmacists Internationally. I say this because and this is not an insult but it seems every second Pharmacy I visit in Nebraska by the Sea is staffed by a South African Pharmacist:

Try: Target, Vons, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid

I'm sure there are lots more but those come to mind.

They might pay a little less (although I'm not sure about that) but the costs, benefits and training is probably very good.
Doesn't walgreens own a chunk of Boots these days?

And could the conversion exam be done in the UK? Without being state certified, chances of finding a job would realistically be slim to none without niche knowledge...well why would a employer spend thousands on a visa and have to wait till October before you could start work when they could have hundreds of qualified people start work tomorrow.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if Happy Harry's is till operating in Delaware, one of those names like Kum and Go that always bring a smile.