2007 Income Taxes

Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2007 Income Taxes

I do ours on my own with TaxCut, I don't think they're are terribly complicated.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Some information that might be relevant/useful for some people:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...xShelters.aspx
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am not going to chance it or neither do I have the patience to read up on it either
I have so much to claim for ie flights,3 cars,moved state,I can claim business travel to the UK and Australia,Computers, car repairs, and thats off the top of my head I will let my buddy do it just to be on the safe side.
Yes, same here - the international travel bit was the main piece I read up on as there is quite a lot that is deductible, at higher rates than domestic.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We have an accountant. What with foreign income and foreign old age pension and US income, we feel it is best to have a professional handle the return.
I fully agree especially on your edit note,there are so many items that you can claim for that I never realised when looking it over myself,plus Turbo Tax is good but not full proof I still have a problem with another state that I lived in, due to information that was filled correctly with Turbo Tax but was not relevant to that state for that year that the information was inputted.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:45 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Not completely true. We cashed out two 401k's as well this year. We opted to have the investment company take out the Federal taxes (at a rate of 20%), so the only thing we will have to worry about is state taxes, assuming your state taxes the income from 401k early cashouts. My aunt is a CPA and she doesn't think they are taxable in our state, but that's probably different everywhere. We also didn't spend all the money from the 401k to help pay any taxes that could come due.

I am doing our taxes with Turbotax. I'm simply entering in all of the W-2's, 1099's and 1098's that we have for the year. So far, despite having cashed out the two 401k's, TT says we are due a fairly sizeable federal refund. The refund from federal will more than likely take care of any state taxes due. FWIW, we also moved to a diff state, bought a house last year and also have student loan interest to write off.

I've used TT ever since it became available around 10-12 years ago and file electronically every year (except for one year where we had to pay). So far, never had a problem (or an audit).
I like TT also...never had any probs but nothing more complicated than yours. I think it is well worth the money.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:47 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We have an accountant. What with foreign income and foreign old age pension and US income, we feel it is best to have a professional handle the return.
I think when DH starts getting his UK retirement, we'll get an accountant also.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Tax preparation cost is tax deductible.
I wonder if this is a line sold by accountants - I think this is only if your job and misc expenses are over 2% of your gross income so for most people this is not the case.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 2:56 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Longy
I wonder if this is a line sold by accountants - I think this is only if your job and misc expenses are over 2% of your gross income so for most people this is not the case.
No. Regular tax filers can deduct. I've always deducted it .....when I had an accountant do it and when I've done my own.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
No. Regular tax filers can deduct. I've always deducted it .....when I had an accountant do it and when I've done my own.
Well I am using Taxact and the tax preperation comes under the Job and Misc expenses section. It states it will deduct if these go over 2% of my gross pay (well it says the amount based on what I entered earlier).

So I can enter the tax prep expenses, but it doesn't deduct anything because they don't come near 2%.

Of course if you had a lot of job expenses then it probably would deduct.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

As I said, for us-ex and I and current spouse with the various factors over the years-military, ex pat o'seas and now foreign spouse it's been worthwhile, plus we pay a nominal fee that covers us if we get audited. If it works out that it's deductible even better.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:26 pm
Queen of my house

Well I am using Taxact and the tax preperation comes under the Job and Misc expenses section. It states it will deduct if these go over 2% of my gross pay (well it says the amount based on what I entered earlier).

So I can enter the tax prep expenses, but it doesn't deduct anything because they don't come near 2%.

Of course if you had a lot of job expenses then it probably would deduct.
You may be correct. I had enough job-related expenses....I paid out the *ss for union dues. Teachers can also deduct up to $250 for unreimbursed expenses. So I just had enough.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:29 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
You may be correct. I had enough job-related expenses....I paid out the *ss for union dues. Teachers can also deduct up to $250 for unreimbursed expenses. So I just had enough.
The guy I've used all these years is right there in Newark, OH.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:43 pm
Pleasant Pheasant Plucker

Dan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant futureDan B has a brilliant future

I do it by hand myself. I do several iterations to see which claims where get me the most back.

It sucked being on a J-1 because you had to file 1040NR which didn't get you any deductions, but on H1-B getting that money back it sweet... ironically, it costs about the same as not paying SS and medicare

I claimed 0 and 0 this year on the paychecks, so with a little back from the student loan deduction, I should be getting $1.5k back... and a little from the State too.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 3:54 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Dan B
I do it by hand myself. I do several iterations to see which claims where get me the most back.

It sucked being on a J-1 because you had to file 1040NR which didn't get you any deductions, but on H1-B getting that money back it sweet... ironically, it costs about the same as not paying SS and medicare

I claimed 0 and 0 this year on the paychecks, so with a little back from the student loan deduction, I should be getting $1.5k back... and a little from the State too.
We're going to Hilton Head with our refund....can't wait.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Feb 4th 2008 at 5:25 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is - even the downloadable tax prep software you pay for is tax deductible.

ETA: Just read your 2nd post and decided to look it up, you can deduct it if the total misc. deductions subject to the 2% rule exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.... obvious really.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Feb 4th 2008 at 4:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.