Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

2 Oath ceremony letters received - different dates!

2 Oath ceremony letters received - different dates!

Old Jan 24th 2019, 7:27 am
Just Joined

teknodude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 Oath ceremony letters received - different dates!

Hello all,

Just to provide background - a week ago I received notification from USCIS that my N400 application was approved and the oath ceremony notice was being mailed.
The next day, as we all do, I eagerly logged into myaccount.uscis to see my letter so I could know my oath date. The letter was there, and the oath date Feb 8th.
Today, in the mail, comes 2 letters from USCIS. Both oath letters. One saying my oath ceremony is January 25th at 10.30am, and the second saying it is February 8th, at 10.30am.
My online account still only shows February 8th oath ceremony letter.

I’m like - wooooah - oath letters are like london buses! Wait for ever then 2 come at the same time!
Both letters have the same notice date, of January 17th.

So I thought the best thing to do is call and just check with USCIS what’s going on.

Because I had seen the letter uploaded online onto my USCIS account, I assumed that was my date, then booked a business trip this week. I’m now in Honolulu, just getting notice of this second letter and date.
I was in Dallas this am when I got the text from my housekeeper in Miami with a photo of both letters, showing me what was in the mail. I was just boarding a flight to Honolulu. I had time to speak to an agent at USCIS who looked at it, said I have never seen this before, so you need to speak to a T2 officer to confirm. Sadly the wait was 130 mins and my 8 hour flight was about to take off. So i plan to call again tomorrow - alarm set for 3am to call!! - and hopefully get an answer.

My last thought is - is it realistic for USCIS to send a Oath notification 2 days before the oath, which gives you no time to mail back and say you can’t go? If I mailed back immediately it would arrive the morning of the oath, which is 10.30am, sit in a pile and never get looked at until at least after the oath ceremony had taken place.

Anyway, I’m posting here to see if anyone has ever had this happen before, and if it is just “one of those things” and the latter oath letter is still valid. I don’t want to turn up Feb 8th, and be told - you failed to show to your last one. Revoked.

Sorry for the long post, but I’ve been here a long time and I know the board values as much detail as possible to give helpful answers.
Thanks in advance for any inputs / thoughts.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 11:33 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Oath ceremony letters received - different dates!

I haven't seen this happen before, but you have already done the right thing in calling the misinformation line. Hopefully they'll be able to guide you.

Personally I think the one for a few days is an error since it was never uploaded to the online system, but who knows?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Getting two oath letters is common. I got two - one from the field office and one from the NBC. Only one gets uploaded online on myaccount. In my case though, they both said the same date and time.

The general answer to the issue of getting two dates is to go to the first one, but in this case it's not confirmed whether they have your certificate ready that day, so the L2 officer is the best option, despite the long wait times . They do offer a callback option - have the L1 operator set you up to receive a call from an L2 agent when one's available.
Old Jan 27th 2019, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Getting two oath letters is common. I got two - one from the field office and one from the NBC. Only one gets uploaded online on myaccount. In my case though, they both said the same date and time.

The general answer to the issue of getting two dates is to go to the first one, but in this case it's not confirmed whether they have your certificate ready that day, so the L2 officer is the best option, despite the long wait times . They do offer a callback option - have the L1 operator set you up to receive a call from an L2 agent when one's available.
I also got two letters, for the same date, they arrived in the mailbox the same day, I just assumed it was a cockup. I did think it odd that one was on nice paper and the other was cheap copy paper. Not that it helps the OP.
I presume that the second date should be good if the OP manages to relay the misinformation to the local office...
Old Jan 28th 2019, 4:25 am
Just Joined

teknodude is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I also got two letters, for the same date, they arrived in the mailbox the same day, I just assumed it was a cockup. I did think it odd that one was on nice paper and the other was cheap copy paper. Not that it helps the OP.
I presume that the second date should be good if the OP manages to relay the misinformation to the local office...
Hello all, thanks for taking time to respond. Sorry it took me a while to get back but traveling in Hawaii.

So I got up at 3.30am (8.30 EST) and spoke to a T1 who transferred me to the T2 line where I scheduled the callback.
Fortunately at this time the wait was only 15 min.
The very nice T2 officer seemed genuinely surprised at the 2 different dates, but he went away, looked into it and came back a few mins later to say that my earlier date letter was a “clerical error”, that had been picked up by the system, or someone, I can’t quite remember, and a “your oath ceremony has been unscheduled” letter has been sent out.
He confirmed that my later date is my valid oath ceremony.

So just an error, and nothing too much to worry about.
Again, I appreciate everyone’s input. It’s a relief to have that sorted - they like to keep us on our toes, right to the end!!
Hopefully if it ever comes up again for someone, this thread might help someone. Cheers.