1 year stay, how?

Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:26 am
Just Joined

london family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not sure where to live around SF

hi we are moving to the US for a year to see if we like it and would really like some advice. we are thinking of moving to Palo Alto as it seems really nice with good schools. we have 2 boys of 7 and 10 and are financially well off here so should be able to afford it but do people have any other ideas. we live in west london and would like somewhere less crowded with good schools and low crime. we are self employed and work from home.any ideas
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:34 am
Just Joined

london family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 year stay, how?

he, we are a family with 2 kids 7 and 10 and are looking to taste the US for a year. our situation is that both sets of parents live here, we run a sucessful business, own a house and are very comfortable financially. ive been reading about the b2 visa but that for 6 months right, what do we need to get to get a year. if we go the us embassy what are the chances of getting a year agreed on a tourist basis. we may if we like it in the US try for a e2 visa later, our business is not one that can be carried over there we would have to start again which may be ok. any advice would be great. we go the US every year for a holiday and that has been no problem by the way
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:45 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year stay, how?

Originally Posted by london family
he, we are a family with 2 kids 7 and 10 and are looking to taste the US for a year. our situation is that both sets of parents live here, we run a sucessful business, own a house and are very comfortable financially. ive been reading about the b2 visa but that for 6 months right, what do we need to get to get a year. if we go the us embassy what are the chances of getting a year agreed on a tourist basis. we may if we like it in the US try for a e2 visa later, our business is not one that can be carried over there we would have to start again which may be ok. any advice would be great. we go the US every year for a holiday and that has been no problem by the way
Not happening, I'm afraid. You may well struggle to get even a B2 as they not frequently granted to those who are of working age and qualify for the VWP.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

You should qualify for B2 if you can justify why you need one
it really depends on the consular officer on the day
make sure you bring with you, if applicable, mortgage statements, bills, etc or as many things that show you have enough ties in the UK to return.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london family
ive been reading about the b2 visa but that for 6 months right
Generally, right (see below). Further, you will get a B-2 visa only if you can successfully demonstrate that you are not eligible to use the VWP... and unless you're retired, that isn't likely to happen.

what do we need to get to get a year.
Nothing... it simply isn't going to happen. The decision on how much time you are allowed in the US is at the sole discretion of the officer at the port of entry. Even if you have a B-2 visa, you might get 6 months... or you might get 2 weeks - and there is nothing you can do to alter that decision.

if we go the us embassy what are the chances of getting a year agreed on a tourist basis.
The chances are 0%. That decision is not within the jurisdiction of the US Embassy.

Ian
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not sure where to live around SF

No, you're definitely not moving to the US for a year to see if you like it.

This thread is pointless until you read the replies to your immigration thread, where it's explained that you have zero chance of being granted a 12 month B2 visa.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

It is possible to obtain a B2 visa and then later extend it. However, as others have wrote it is possible for the POE to decide that you can stay in the country for a period of time, less than you were hoping for.

However, what I see is your issue, is that you want to use a B2 visa to try out the US, to see about moving there later. This therefore, to me, and I am not a lawyer, suggests a migratory intent and having migratory intent of any form is a big no, for applying for a non-immigrant visa such as a B2 visa.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:16 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has already started a thread asking about schools in Palo Alto.

I fear this thread may follow the path of so many others in the past...
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:17 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Emily B
It is possible to obtain a B2 visa and then later extend it. However, as others have wrote it is possible for the POE to decide that you can stay in the country for a period of time, less than you were hoping for.

However, what I see is your issue, is that you want to use a B2 visa to try out the US, to see about moving there later. This therefore, to me, and I am not a lawyer, suggests a migratory intent and having migratory intent of any form is a big no, for applying for a non-immigrant visa such as a B2 visa.
He can't get a B2 for any period of time unless there's a reason why he's not eligible for the VWP.

Not to mention the fact that the B2 is for tourists, not for setting up home and sending your kids to school for a year while you "try out" living in the US. There is no visa for living in the US on a trial basis.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Emily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to allEmily B is a name known to all

No, you dont have to be ineligible to use the VWP to obtain a B2 visa.

Off course, being ineligible for using the VWP is a legitimate reason to apply for a B2 visa, but it is not the only reason why an individual can obtain a B2 visa.

It is also perfectly possible to have a B2 visa and after that expires to switch back to using the VWP.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:27 pm
Arrogant ****

No, you dont have to be ineligible to use the VWP to obtain a B2 visa.

Off course, being ineligible for using the VWP is a legitimate reason to apply for a B2 visa, but it is not the only reason why an individual can obtain a B2 visa.

It is also perfectly possible to have a B2 visa and after that expires to switch back to using the VWP.
You're right. I should have said he "won't get a B2" rather than he "can't get a B2" unless he's ineligible for the VWP.

You're not seriously suggesting that you think he'll be given a B2 to go and "try out" living in the US, are you?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:32 pm
Arrogant ****

Wow Emily - I just read your posts about your B2 story. That's an extremely unusual set of circumstances. Amazing to see that you went from a B2 rejection to LPR!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

No, I am not seriously suggesting that they will be given a visa to try out the US for a year. If you look at my comments - post number five I think, I have written:

Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:36 pm
Arrogant ****

No, I am not seriously suggesting that they will be given a visa to try out the US for a year. If you look at my comments - post number five I think, I have written:
You're right - I read the comment but didn't see that it was you who posted it.

The issue with the OP is that he is asking for something that simply doesn't exist - a visa to come and live in the US for a while. There's no way that he can (honestly) explain what he wants to do that US Immigration will find acceptable.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, I agree DBJ.

Personally, I would suggest to the OPs - if they want a year off and to see a bit of the world, that they look , if they want to go beyond the EU, at countries, where they can obtain "guardianship" visas if their children are enrolled in a school in that country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.