Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

[Q]: Difference between consulate visa and within the USA green card

[Q]: Difference between consulate visa and within the USA green card

Old Feb 20th 2001, 12:40 am
Hello All

Hi:

Trying to validate my understanding.....

A friend of mine living in the USA and going through the immigration process says if he
were travel to his home country and appears for an interview, he would get his GC earlier
than continuing to live in the USA and changing from H1 to GC. Is it true? I am also told
that he changed from within the USA option to consulate visa. Is this possible?

Why should one be shorter than the other? If so, why would not every one go for the
shortest route?

Seems interesting. Where could I read some material to understand how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 20th 2001, 4:18 am
Joachim Feise

Hello All wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> Trying to validate my understanding.....
>
> A friend of mine living in the USA and going through the immigration process says if he
> were travel to his home country and appears for an interview, he would get his GC
> earlier than continuing to live in the USA and changing from H1 to GC. Is it true? I am
> also told that he changed from within the USA option to consulate visa. Is this
> possible?

Yes.

> Why should one be shorter than the other?
Because in the US, INS handles the case. The Consular Processing part, on the other hand,
is handled by the Department of State, which is much more efficient and professional.

> If so, why would not every one go for the shortest route?

Beats me. Most people could in fact go for CP, but they may want to avoid the
travel costs.

> Seems interesting. Where could I read some material to understand how this works?

http://www.imminfo.com/Immigrants/Co...rocessing.html

-Joe

Old Mar 5th 2001, 8:50 pm
Navigatore

Speaking to my attornies I got the same impression. The consular processing is apperently
significantly faster then obtaining the visa in the US. Why? Well, seems like that the
consulates are more efficiant then the domestic adminstration. But be careful because I
believe there are als efficiency differences to consider when you look at the different
countries. A co-worker of mine told me that he did not chose the consular processing
because he is from Mexico. Apperently they are not doing a good job down there. Whereas I
had no concern when I went for the consular processing in Germany. That might be one
reason why not everybody pursues the consular processing. One major difference also is
that the concular processing is associated with an interview whereas the domestic process
does not use interviews, unless they believe something is wrong.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >