Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

"Scrap the INS" Could things get any worse?

"Scrap the INS" Could things get any worse?

Old Apr 26th 2002, 2:10 pm
Todd Carney

Default "Scrap the INS" Could things get any worse?

Last night on the news I heard that a bill was introduced on the floor to "scrap" the
INS entirely. In this unbelievablly screwed up and stressful situation could it get
ant worse? Answer YES! What happens to all of those,(including me) who have decisions
pending from INS? What kind of service are we gonna expect in the coming
weeks/months/year. If I wasn't already stressed out this comes along.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 2:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Scrap the INS" Could things get any worse?

Are you a US Citizen? If so, then you must know that nothing governmental happens overnight. The vote to abolish the INS was the House vote. It still needs the Senate vote. And if you honestly think that they will halt all INS visa processing, you aren't thinking clearly.

If you aren't a USC, then you can equate the US Government with your own government. Nothing happens quickly.

They have already stated their restructuring proposal and perhaps this vote will implement the restructuring a little sooner than planned but not by much. If anything, I see that it will postpone the restructuring as new guidelines will have to be developed and then approved and then implemented.

All in all, I'm sure that many Americans, myself as one of them, hope that priority is given to expediting the removal of all aliens who have been issued deportation orders and has chosen to leave voluntarily but have not.

Rete
Old Apr 26th 2002, 2:40 pm
Andy Platt

Jeeze-Louise, I'll be polite and assume the news organizations must have been
reporting this really badly ... for the last time (ha, ha), this is a high-level
split of the INS into two organizations, not a complete removal of immigration!!!!!

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Todd Carney"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Last night on the news I heard that a bill was introduced on the floor to "scrap"
    > the INS entirely. In this unbelievablly screwed up and stressful situation could it
    > get ant worse? Answer YES! What happens to all of those,(including me) who have
    > decisions pending from INS? What kind of service are we gonna expect in the coming
    > weeks/months/year. If I wasn't already stressed out this comes along.

Old Apr 26th 2002, 6:10 pm
Patricia

My husband is worried too, we just sent his MO a few months ago for temp work permit
card again. Benn married since 2/2000-still not a word when our interview is in
Chicago- I sometimes wonder if it would do any good to call and pester. Not that you
ever talk to a soul that looks up anything about your case. Now a national insurance
company can look up your records in 2 minutes flat- but not the INS. The whole
process stinks, its paperwork in triplicate, and the waiting business....Oh well we
will wait some more

Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Inaleda is an unknown quantity at this point

Patricia,
I agree with you. Not only the process but the whole system stinks.INS chicago is a great example.Or as once my husband told his mother" I can`t belive that my own country is doing that to me, just because my wife is a foreigner."
Inaleda
Old Apr 26th 2002, 7:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything Rete said. Except for the conclusion that she draws.

At another level, there's only one time when people spend more of their time worrying, talking, anything but doing their job, then when a restructuring is going on. And that time is when the restructuring is still pending.

Everybody knows that something is going to happen, that much is a certainty. But nobody knows the details yet and how it's going to affect them personally. Every new event creates increased anxiety, and decreased productivity, until the change actually starts to take place and the people can see the future rather than just speculate about what it might be.

I think the original poster's concerns may be valid, and I would not be surprised if timelines gradually increase as the drama over the fate of the INS continues to unfold. The fact that governmental wheels turn very slowly only increases the torture of the INS employees.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete
Are you a US Citizen? If so, then you must know that nothing governmental happens overnight. The vote to abolish the INS was the House vote. It still needs the Senate vote. And if you honestly think that they will halt all INS visa processing, you aren't thinking clearly.

If you aren't a USC, then you can equate the US Government with your own government. Nothing happens quickly.

They have already stated their restructuring proposal and perhaps this vote will implement the restructuring a little sooner than planned but not by much. If anything, I see that it will postpone the restructuring as new guidelines will have to be developed and then approved and then implemented.

All in all, I'm sure that many Americans, myself as one of them, hope that priority is given to expediting the removal of all aliens who have been issued deportation orders and has chosen to leave voluntarily but have not.

Rete
Old Apr 27th 2002, 10:40 am
Michael Voight

Interesting, the vote was 405-9. Two of the no votes were SJ Dems, one even blamed
the INS issue on Bush.

Apparently they haven't been to the local INS office

Old Apr 29th 2002, 5:10 am
Dave Moss

jeffreyhy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > "Every new event creates......decreased productivity...."

THAT is not possible.....

Old Apr 29th 2002, 5:10 pm
Paul

[email protected] (Todd Carney) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Last night on the news I heard that a bill was introduced on the floor to "scrap"
    > the INS entirely. In this unbelievablly screwed up and stressful situation could it
    > get ant worse? Answer YES! What happens to all of those,(including me) who have
    > decisions pending from INS? What kind of service are we gonna expect in the coming
    > weeks/months/year. If I wasn't already stressed out this comes along.

There was a story in the Washington Post the other day stating that however the
current INS is restructured, plans are still moving ahead to bring on 8,500 new
employees in the near future.

Now while I'm sure that many of these new bodies are going to be slated for the
enforcement side of the equation, I can't believe that the processing side will be
neglected. And an infusion of manpower can only help reduce the elephantine
processing times.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 7:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Dave,

Anything is possible when you take it out of context.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Dave Moss
jeffreyhy <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    "Every new event creates......decreased productivity...."

THAT is not possible.....
Old May 2nd 2002, 1:10 am
Dave Moss

jeffreyhy <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<3ccefa45> Dave,
    >
    > Anything is possible when you take it out of context.
    >
    > Regards, JEff

INS = Productivity

Surely, the ultimate in Antonyms. And you my fiend, can put that into any context
you choose.

Peace,

Dave