A year in Melbourne

Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all
Default A year in Melbourne

Well yesterday 29-AUG it was a year since we arrived in Melbourne (couple early thirties) and it was a gorgeous day first day have had to have air-con on in car in ages.

The year has gone incredibly quickly. Our move over here was really easy as I got a job with the company I had worked for previously in the UK and also done some temp work for when over on a working holiday visa, so I already knew people I was working with and knew pretty much exactly what the job was going to be like. (Stuff about first month here in - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484932)

Came over on a 457 but then applied for a 175 as soon as arrived which was granted in January and then we went on holiday to NZ at Easter to get the visa actually in the passport so have been permanent residents since Mar.

We knew when we left the UK that we would be staying in Melbourne for the foreseeable (had lived here 3 months previously) - for some reason feel like Australia is more of a home than the UK (just born in the wrong country I reckon - my mums family emigrated here when she was in her 20's and had just met my dad so she never moved, so who knows my feeling so at home here might have something to do with that)

So once had permanent residency started thinking about buying a place as the market seemed to have levelled off a bit in the areas we were looking (Camberwell, Hawthorn (which is where we are renting)) - spent lots of Saturday's traipsing round open for inspections and losing out at auctions before finally getting sorted with a two bed flat in Camberwell via a private sale (no agents just through a board out front put up by owners). So we now own a flat but don't live in it yet because are renting back to owners till December. It is cool, house hunting was so dull just very happy it is all over.

We love living in Melbourne, is funny we feel so at home here, it seems weird trying to think of what to write (I would never have written updates about a year of life in the UK), but I loved reading other peoples updates before we came so will try. Some of the things love about living here:

We can afford to live close enough to the CBD that can be there in 15 mins and have lots of transport options for getting around train & tram and hardly ever have to use the car. (Would not have been able to afford to be a similar distance from centre of a large city in the UK)

I can take my bicycle on the train and choose to cycle along nice off road paths to work and see parrots and just be out in the fresh air. Find cycling great here

The weather seems more predictable to me, which means you can plan things better, the forecasts seem more reliable. When it rains it seems to really rain which is kind of nice, you are either soaked or dry, and sometimes the rain is over in minutes.

I work out of town so am driving against the traffic and is completely predictable how long the drive will take if I go in the car, never seems to be any hold ups and you can get out of the city quickly (unlike living in Harrow).

People always seem to be doing stuff and inviting you along even if you hardly know them, so always seem to have loads of options of things to do. We knew people from living here 3 months before and so through that and work have met a lot of people.

I love AFL and Rugby League and it is so cheap to go to compared to football games in the UK, so are members of Melbourne Storm and Hawthorn. Boyfriend goes to watch Melbourne Victory with a group of others - mix of Aussies, Kiwis & Poms.

Eating out is affordable especially with the entertainment book and coffee is great.

Christmas was great, I think warm Christmas's suit me much better, we had one friend staying had a BBQ at Albert Park, then coffee in St. Kilda and went to the beach - I didn't miss sitting indoors in front of TV and a turkey dinner at all. To me it seems much better having days off over Christmas when you can get out and do stuff (we went round vineyards, to Wilson's prom, puffing billy etc etc).

What don't we like:

Houses can be very cold in winter our current flat is often colder than it is outside!

No PG tips (that was boyfriends only comment but we are not going to get into habit of buying it from Treats from Home).

What is the same:

Cost of living, overall I reckon cost of living is about the same but for us suits us better as the things we like doing and do more of e.g. eating out, public transport are cheaper and stuff that we don't do much of like buying clothes or furniture or electrical items may be more expensive or about the same.

Work: Work is pretty much the same for us, no real difference.

Thats it really we don't think about it much I suppose just like before you think of leaving the UK you maybe don't think much about what you like and what you dislike it is just life.

Before I got the job in Melbourne we were probably heading for Sydney as have some family there and thought might find work easier (had also lived there for 3 months) - but having moved here and been on a couple of visits to Sydney since am really glad we ended up here, Sydney seems nice for a trip away but just now seems very busy compared to Melbourne.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Re: A year in Melbourne

Good Post, Glad to see you are enjoying what Melbourne has to offer. Hawthorn is a great suburb as well. Good Luck! Wont be long now to the crazy hot days are back
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[[/QUOTE]

Interesting post, pity there is no NRL in W.A - boo hoo

Oldham Roughyeds till I die.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Really interesting read.
K sent
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really niceSean101 is just really nice

A timely post and a good read... we will be heading to Melbourne from Manchester in about 12 hours, so good to hear positive things, and hope we have as good a time as you... all the best!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Homebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant futureHomebird has a brilliant future
Smile Re: A year in Melbourne

Great post, glad you guys are enjoying life in Melbourne x
Old Aug 31st 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi
glad its all going well. We too have been here a year, and brought over a stock of PG tips. Ran out about 2 months ago and have tried so many other brands with no luck.. However, don't know if the tastebuds have adjusted but tried Tetleys All rounder, (more tea in each bag - even than their big cuppa) and its fairly decent. Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 11:06 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Vic in Vic - glad to hear you are settled. Congratulations on the flat - Camberwell is a lovely area, very vibrant but also suburban in its own way (a bit like Ealing???)

Enjoy - its a fabulous city isnt it!

Buzzy
Old Sep 11th 2008, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

vgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to allvgenburgos is a name known to all

Cheers Buzzy - I suppose it could be described a bit like Ealing, although I was never that keen on Ealing always thought it was a bit 'up itself' I preferred Acton. Is funny though, I think some people I work with also think Camberwell is a bit 'up itself' but I just don't see it. All the different opinions are interesting. For us is close to Richmond for all the Storm and Hawks games and is on the right train line for work and all trains stop there, plus is on the tram. You can wander out the door like we did on Saturday with no clear idea where you are going and end up having a wonderful stroll along the Yarra - lunch at Abbotsford convent then continuing till got bored and found a train station at Clifton Hill to come home. When I was younger I lived in a village where apart from school bus was one bus to market a week so when I was about 14 I vowed I would never live anywhere where I was dependent on a car so Camberwell is perfect - although living in a 2 bed flat for the rest of my life as even small houses cost a fortune here, might prove a challenging - we shall see!
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough

good post really useful.. my family and i are waiting for our visa and are going to melbourne, went over last year and stayed in frankson south, loved it. have you looked around patterson lakes?? if so can you tell me anything about there> it looks a nice place.. didnt get the chance to check it out when we were over.. did also like mentone area,
do you have children? any useful info welcome..
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Sof1091 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vgenburgos
Well yesterday 29-AUG it was a year since we arrived in Melbourne (couple early thirties) and it was a gorgeous day first day have had to have air-con on in car in ages.

The year has gone incredibly quickly. Our move over here was really easy as I got a job with the company I had worked for previously in the UK and also done some temp work for when over on a working holiday visa, so I already knew people I was working with and knew pretty much exactly what the job was going to be like. (Stuff about first month here in - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484932)

Came over on a 457 but then applied for a 175 as soon as arrived which was granted in January and then we went on holiday to NZ at Easter to get the visa actually in the passport so have been permanent residents since Mar.

We knew when we left the UK that we would be staying in Melbourne for the foreseeable (had lived here 3 months previously) - for some reason feel like Australia is more of a home than the UK (just born in the wrong country I reckon - my mums family emigrated here when she was in her 20's and had just met my dad so she never moved, so who knows my feeling so at home here might have something to do with that)

So once had permanent residency started thinking about buying a place as the market seemed to have levelled off a bit in the areas we were looking (Camberwell, Hawthorn (which is where we are renting)) - spent lots of Saturday's traipsing round open for inspections and losing out at auctions before finally getting sorted with a two bed flat in Camberwell via a private sale (no agents just through a board out front put up by owners). So we now own a flat but don't live in it yet because are renting back to owners till December. It is cool, house hunting was so dull just very happy it is all over.

We love living in Melbourne, is funny we feel so at home here, it seems weird trying to think of what to write (I would never have written updates about a year of life in the UK), but I loved reading other peoples updates before we came so will try. Some of the things love about living here:

We can afford to live close enough to the CBD that can be there in 15 mins and have lots of transport options for getting around train & tram and hardly ever have to use the car. (Would not have been able to afford to be a similar distance from centre of a large city in the UK)

I can take my bicycle on the train and choose to cycle along nice off road paths to work and see parrots and just be out in the fresh air. Find cycling great here

The weather seems more predictable to me, which means you can plan things better, the forecasts seem more reliable. When it rains it seems to really rain which is kind of nice, you are either soaked or dry, and sometimes the rain is over in minutes.

I work out of town so am driving against the traffic and is completely predictable how long the drive will take if I go in the car, never seems to be any hold ups and you can get out of the city quickly (unlike living in Harrow).

People always seem to be doing stuff and inviting you along even if you hardly know them, so always seem to have loads of options of things to do. We knew people from living here 3 months before and so through that and work have met a lot of people.

I love AFL and Rugby League and it is so cheap to go to compared to football games in the UK, so are members of Melbourne Storm and Hawthorn. Boyfriend goes to watch Melbourne Victory with a group of others - mix of Aussies, Kiwis & Poms.

Eating out is affordable especially with the entertainment book and coffee is great.

Christmas was great, I think warm Christmas's suit me much better, we had one friend staying had a BBQ at Albert Park, then coffee in St. Kilda and went to the beach - I didn't miss sitting indoors in front of TV and a turkey dinner at all. To me it seems much better having days off over Christmas when you can get out and do stuff (we went round vineyards, to Wilson's prom, puffing billy etc etc).

What don't we like:

Houses can be very cold in winter our current flat is often colder than it is outside!

No PG tips (that was boyfriends only comment but we are not going to get into habit of buying it from Treats from Home).

What is the same:

Cost of living, overall I reckon cost of living is about the same but for us suits us better as the things we like doing and do more of e.g. eating out, public transport are cheaper and stuff that we don't do much of like buying clothes or furniture or electrical items may be more expensive or about the same.

Work: Work is pretty much the same for us, no real difference.

Thats it really we don't think about it much I suppose just like before you think of leaving the UK you maybe don't think much about what you like and what you dislike it is just life.

Before I got the job in Melbourne we were probably heading for Sydney as have some family there and thought might find work easier (had also lived there for 3 months) - but having moved here and been on a couple of visits to Sydney since am really glad we ended up here, Sydney seems nice for a trip away but just now seems very busy compared to Melbourne.
thanks loved reading your post, i hope i like Melbourne as much as you do
Old Sep 16th 2008, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
Hi
glad its all going well. We too have been here a year, and brought over a stock of PG tips. Ran out about 2 months ago and have tried so many other brands with no luck.. However, don't know if the tastebuds have adjusted but tried Tetleys All rounder, (more tea in each bag - even than their big cuppa) and its fairly decent. Good luck.
PG tips available in (former Bi-Lo) Coles at Knox City - I bought some on saturday
Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

lynneandwayne;

Paterson Lakes that place is very nice very close to the beach also, however very expensive to live in the area regarding house pricing.

we have been in melbourne now for 11 years and love the place the eating places are fantastic very different cuisine especially Asian (Vietnamese) on Victoria st in the city also very cheap
Old Jan 1st 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

lynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the roughlynneandwayne is a jewel in the rough

hi pleased things are going well, we have just finished all the meds etc so are hoping for a visa any moment. hope to be over there in july/aug. cant wait. Do you feel you are settling in and adjusting?
lynne
Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

lynneandwayne;
June/July here in melbourne is winter time love its bloody cold to say the least Now't like the UK winter but cold is cold.
We have never had a problem in settling from arrival 11 years ago, our daughter was in junior school 1 year in front of the australian system so she stayed in primary for another year due to the same age difference at that age the kids are fine, she made instant friends at school due to the UK accent & have also never looked back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.