Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Where did those 2 years go ??

Where did those 2 years go ??

Old May 11th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where did those 2 years go ??

Thought I would post this “concise” version of our last 2 years, for all those that are interested, enjoy, and if your not well, tough!!

There is a singalong to keep you interested

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I travelled each and ev'ry highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Where do I start, arrived here May 8th 2005, had to validate by the 10th close or what. Had not sold the house, was going to complete soon we were promised. Anyway we rented a car when we first got here as we couldn’t afford to buy we had just enough for our bond.
Stayed with friends the first 2 weeks then found a lovely rental with a pool, how weird is that living on camping chairs and sleeping on the floor.
Anyway after house finally completed on 10th June, we managed to get ourselves our first car, $12000 yippee!
I did an 11 day in post; wow did we get that much done?

Anyway I had a job to come to, call it lucky or just commitment, had to drive to Leeds for video interviews etc. Started the Thursday week after we arrived.

Got my daughter started with a football team, looked in yellow pages, rung around numerous teams and found her one, (she did play for years in the UK and this was a worry before we came.) By the way, this is also a great way for meeting people; we have loads of friends now from the soccer clubs we have been involved with. I spend my life around the football scene now, but wouldn’t swap it, the facilities are a joy to behold even though the organisational skills a little annoying at times.

Went to a meet in the July (very sceptical about it before hand I must add) but met a few people and we have actually stayed great friends with a couple and their 2 great kids to this day, great people you know who you are so no names needed.

Furniture arrived in July, then it was all systems go for the new life

Fast-forward 4 months, I was offered a job closer to the coast, well what an absolute nightmare, horrendous, got assaulted verbally abused etc, and if ever we were going to go home then that was then, all documented previously on a post on the forum

Around the same time my brother and his family arrived for a holiday, how sad & homesick you feel when your first visitors go cannot be described it is like emigrating all over again.

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway

Then Christmas & New Year rolled in we loved every minute of it, spent it with great friends and had probably as stress free time we have ever had. No nonsense about where to spend dinner why did you see them before us etc. etc. but it was still a time to reminisce about the snow we never had and the coal fires we never sat in front of

I started my 3rd job in the January 2006, it is based on the coast for a major Aussie company and I love it and am still there now, I have recently been offered others but this one suits us.

Fast forward another 3 months and my wife’s parents came over for a visit they were here for a month. This was a bit of a milestone to be honest as they left exactly a year after we arrived, spooky, but it was weird because I thought it would be heartbreaking again for my wife and the kids, no they were fine it was a case of bye, as if they were going round the corner. Guess it was a way of saying they were settled & content.

May 2006………..this was the month we had the single most defining moment in our 2 years; guess what?

Yes, you got it:............................................... .................................................. ...we met the “world famous” “everybody’s hero” and all round good egg:.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......The man they call: Soapy

Piss taking apart, this guy does a lot of work for the expat community, whereas a lot of people once they get here and get settled can’t be arsed, and I include myself in this statement. So I take my hat off to him. Keep up the good work m8

Anyway enough pats on backs, where were we? oh yes: We had said to ourselves that we would give it 2 years before we buy a house, well I’d had enough of putting money in someone else’s pockets so we decided to buy, only one drawback we had no money for a deposit!! So we looked into those 100% mortgages, which aren’t by the way, as you need to pay mortgage insurance for anything over 80% so this was achieved on credit, and in the twinkling of an eye we were in debt up to our eyes for this home!!
Now before all you do-gooders and purveyors of great financial wisdom, it was our choice ok! We knew what we were doing as we are consenting adults

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

So we moved into our house needed an uplift in income so my wife started a new job, of an evening which unfortunately means we spend little time together, (Sunday is the only day together now as a family), she had been working part time anyway but that was of a day. Before we knew it, our second Christmas came around which was once again spent with friends., then just after, my wife’s brother & family came over we had a wonderful & weird New Year, I say weird because we spent it partying with a great set of friends at a garage , yep I say garage, the aussies love the garage set up with fridges, bars, even couches they have a lovely community feel about it, where neighbours just stroll over for a beer if they feel like it.

Soon we were into March and my brother arrived here to live, he had never thought about it until he came to visit us, but himself and his family fell in love with it, they have been here 2 months now and alls well so far.

This brings us up to date, well we still have little money, work our arses off, live week to week for the house, which we decided to buy. Would we swap this life, never in a million years, we didn’t have any money in the UK, we don’t have much now but I know where I would sooner be We have heaps of friends all of which we have felt as if we have known for years, and you can’t put a monetary value on that.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

Guess you can say we are content in our Aussie life as we are applying for citizenship this week so all is well.

For those who don’t come with heaps of money it is possible to live here, despite what you hear, you just need a decent outlook, glass half full type attitude and give it a go enjoy what it has too offer, there are bad times, really difficult times believe me, times when you question why you have done it, but all I will say if you go with a gut feeling and listen to what your own head and heart say, you won’t go far wrong.

Singalong if you wish

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has not
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

P.S.

As we are on the 2 year subject, thought I would take time to give big thanks to those from the distant past & the very good present: We will never ever forget the help & pm’s from, Madsad’s, Biggy in the beginning, and finally for the help thru some of our tough times; Floweroscotland family you have been second to none!

Last big thank you to a great family who don’t post on here, they may read the odd post. Anyway they have been thru’ it all from the very beginning with us back in the UK, as I said we stayed with them when we first arrived they are part of our family now.

Sorry to bore the pants off you all, but that’s all folks

Take it easy

Dicko’s Down Under
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
01 My Way.mp3 (5.26 MB, 140 views)
Old May 11th 2007, 10:32 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did those 2 years go ??

Fantasic to read that it's not all rosey, money doesn't grow on trees in Oz, but even if it did, it doesn't buy happiness

Here's to many more happy years

Gill

Originally Posted by Dicko
Thought I would post this “concise” version of our last 2 years, for all those that are interested, enjoy, and if your not well, tough!!

There is a singalong to keep you interested

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I travelled each and ev'ry highway

Where do I start, arrived here May 8th 2005, had to validate by the 10th close or what. Had not sold the house, was going to complete soon we were promised. Anyway we rented a car when we first got here as we couldn’t afford to buy we had just enough for our bond.
Stayed with friends the first 2 weeks then found a lovely rental with a pool, how weird is that living on camping chairs and sleeping on the floor.
Anyway after house finally completed on 10th June, we managed to get ourselves our first car, $12000 yippee!
I did an 11 day in post; wow did we get that much done?

Anyway I had a job to come to, call it lucky or just commitment, had to drive to Leeds for video interviews etc. Started the Thursday week after we arrived.

Got my daughter started with a football team, looked in yellow pages, rung around numerous teams and found her one, (she did play for years in the UK and this was a worry before we came.) By the way, this is also a great way for meeting people; we have loads of friends now from the soccer clubs we have been involved with. I spend my life around the football scene now, but wouldn’t swap it, the facilities are a joy to behold even though the organisational skills a little annoying at times.

Went to a meet in the July (very sceptical about it before hand I must add) but met a few people and we have actually stayed great friends with a couple and their 2 great kids to this day, great people you know who you are so no names needed.

Furniture arrived in July, then it was all systems go for the new life

Fast-forward 4 months, I was offered a job closer to the coast, well what an absolute nightmare, horrendous, got assaulted verbally abused etc, and if ever we were going to go home then that was then, all documented previously on a post on the forum

Around the same time my brother and his family arrived for a holiday, how sad & homesick you feel when your first visitors go cannot be described it is like emigrating all over again.

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway

Then Christmas & New Year rolled in we loved every minute of it, spent it with great friends and had probably as stress free time we have ever had. No nonsense about where to spend dinner why did you see them before us etc. etc. but it was still a time to reminisce about the snow we never had and the coal fires we never sat in front of

I started my 3rd job in the January 2006, it is based on the coast for a major Aussie company and I love it and am still there now, I have recently been offered others but this one suits us.

Fast forward another 3 months and my wife’s parents came over for a visit they were here for a month. This was a bit of a milestone to be honest as they left exactly a year after we arrived, spooky, but it was weird because I thought it would be heartbreaking again for my wife and the kids, no they were fine it was a case of bye, as if they were going round the corner. Guess it was a way of saying they were settled & content.

May 2006………..this was the month we had the single most defining moment in our 2 years; guess what?

Yes, you got it:............................................... .................................................. ...we met the “world famous” “everybody’s hero” and all round good egg:.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......The man they call: Soapy

Piss taking apart, this guy does a lot of work for the expat community, whereas a lot of people once they get here and get settled can’t be arsed, and I include myself in this statement. So I take my hat off to him. Keep up the good work m8

Anyway enough pats on backs, where were we? oh yes: We had said to ourselves that we would give it 2 years before we buy a house, well I’d had enough of putting money in someone else’s pockets so we decided to buy, only one drawback we had no money for a deposit!! So we looked into those 100% mortgages, which aren’t by the way, as you need to pay mortgage insurance for anything over 80% so this was achieved on credit, and in the twinkling of an eye we were in debt up to our eyes for this home!!
Now before all you do-gooders and purveyors of great financial wisdom, it was our choice ok! We knew what we were doing as we are consenting adults

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

So we moved into our house needed an uplift in income so my wife started a new job, of an evening which unfortunately means we spend little time together, (Sunday is the only day together now as a family), she had been working part time anyway but that was of a day. Before we knew it, our second Christmas came around which was once again spent with friends., then just after, my wife’s brother & family came over we had a wonderful & weird New Year, I say weird because we spent it partying with a great set of friends at a garage , yep I say garage, the aussies love the garage set up with fridges, bars, even couches they have a lovely community feel about it, where neighbours just stroll over for a beer if they feel like it.

Soon we were into March and my brother arrived here to live, he had never thought about it until he came to visit us, but himself and his family fell in love with it, they have been here 2 months now and alls well so far.

This brings us up to date, well we still have little money, work our arses off, live week to week for the house, which we decided to buy. Would we swap this life, never in a million years, we didn’t have any money in the UK, we don’t have much now but I know where I would sooner be We have heaps of friends all of which we have felt as if we have known for years, and you can’t put a monetary value on that.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

Guess you can say we are content in our Aussie life as we are applying for citizenship this week so all is well.

For those who don’t come with heaps of money it is possible to live here, despite what you hear, you just need a decent outlook, glass half full type attitude and give it a go enjoy what it has too offer, there are bad times, really difficult times believe me, times when you question why you have done it, but all I will say if you go with a gut feeling and listen to what your own head and heart say, you won’t go far wrong.

Singalong if you wish

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has not
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

P.S.

As we are on the 2 year subject, thought I would take time to give big thanks to those from the distant past & the very good present: We will never ever forget the help & pm’s from, Madsad’s, Biggy in the beginning, and finally for the help thru some of our tough times; Floweroscotland family you have been second to none!

Last big thank you to a great family who don’t post on here, they may read the odd post. Anyway they have been thru’ it all from the very beginning with us back in the UK, as I said we stayed with them when we first arrived they are part of our family now.

Sorry to bore the pants off you all, but that’s all folks

Take it easy

Dicko’s Down Under
Old May 11th 2007, 11:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dicko
Enjoyed your concise round-up - agreed with pretty much everything you've said, particularly the glass half-full thing. Best of luck for the next two years.
Old May 11th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Wow well done.

A great honest and interesting post. Its good to here you have settled and bought a house.

I for one like to read posts about people who have gone over without thousands of pounds as spare change!
You have shown others with a bit of hard graft and determination it can be done.

Great post, congratulations on your 2 years in Aus.

GEMS
(hoping to be in WA in July!)
Old May 11th 2007, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Oh bless, I sang along with you.
My dad sang it to us when we where kids
Lovely honest post,agree with you totally
We have our citizenship ceremony on the 23rd of this month, been here 2 years and 5 months.
Denise
Old May 11th 2007, 12:32 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Superb post. Thanks for that!!!!

Lou
xx
Old May 11th 2007, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

PHEW! really enjoyed reading that

Keep on enjoying your life
Old May 11th 2007, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic post. Well done
Love the song choice.
Karma to you
Old May 11th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant futureJamesfam has a brilliant future

Loved it. Excellent post. Sang along as well!
Old May 11th 2007, 8:36 pm
Dreams can come true :)

Babycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond reputeBabycatcher has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the great post Really excited for you! Well Done!
P.S. Where are you living?
Old May 11th 2007, 8:39 pm
patience is a virtue !!!!

jo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the roughjo andy + 2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi Dicko,
Wot a great positive post, just wot i needed to read as we are flyin out in 31 days. Keep on enjoyin it down under

Jo
Old May 11th 2007, 10:14 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

what a pile of pish!

ha ha ha ha
you did come back with a bang mate and what a bang it was. fantastic post. theres plenty in there for everyone to pick what they want or need.
i looked but i couldnt see the bit about wanting to shoot the wee rental woman up the arse with a shotgun when u left your rental? maybe i just missed that bit

a lot of people will read your post and think it cant be that good, well it can be if they want it that bad and u lot are proof of that!
good luck with the rest of your life in oz and will catch up soon mate
Old May 11th 2007, 10:35 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Great Post - Gonna give you some karma cause I've just learnt how and what it does
Old May 12th 2007, 12:12 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

really good posting, thanks for taking the time
Old May 12th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

i looked but i couldnt see the bit about wanting to shoot the wee rental woman up the arse with a shotgun when u left your rental? maybe i just missed that bit
Nice one m8, I wouldn't give them the satisfaction that I was in any way bitter & twisted, by the way have they had that fire at them offices yet

a lot of people will read your post and think it cant be that good, well it can be if they want it that bad and u lot are proof of that!
Thanks for that m8, I guess as you have said, many times before, the harder you work at something the easier it looks to outsiders.

Take it easy m8, defo catch up soon.

P.S. I did mean to say in the original post, we brought a telly and it didn't f****n work

Last edited by Dicko; May 12th 2007 at 10:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.