Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What - a week and a half!!!???!!!

What - a week and a half!!!???!!!

Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice
Default What - a week and a half!!!???!!!

Well that’s it...........we are at the week and a half point!

The move has been great and we are loving the new start. Daunted – yes but then again it is a move to the other side of the world so who wouldn’t be.
What has happened in the time – loads!

Flew Singapore from Heathrow. Great comfortable flight. Personally I think Emirates was a little better in terms of catering for our little one (toy/snack box etc) but comfort defiantly went to Singapore.

Landed in Perth at 3 in the afternoon and was welcomed by a very emotional family at the airport so that was nice and just what we needed after the emotional farewells of the past few weeks. Got the 3 yr old to run around and play (not hard as the folks had set up a trampoline in the back yard just for him!!) just so that he would tire himself out and it worked – he slept through till 530! A result as the wife and I were awake anyway (I knew I should have had a go on the trampoline!!)

Sunday: Played golf with a couple of mates at 7 am on the Sunday and then had breakfast overlooking the beach at the Blue Duck – what a great start! Jet lag cure of note!

Monday : Registered for the TFN, drivers license (received within 2 days!!), medicare and sorted out a couple of extra bank accounts and a super fund. Also test drove a couple of cars! Excellent productive day. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming (actually everyone of them actually said “welcome to Australia”. It was so nice. Like an utter dork I left my UK license in one of the cars we test drove. No worries, called them up and they drove round and dropped it off!!! Email from my old boss offering me a 4 – 6 week contract assisting them from Perth!

Tuesday: Caught the “rush hour” train into the city from our base in Bibra Lake – ha – after London commutes this is easy!! I even had a seat. Met with several recruitment agencies and set that process rolling.

Wednesday: the wife’s turn to met with agents! I did get to play on the trampoline! Fun day at home and at the lake playing with the boy!

Thursday: Pre-school viewings. Seen a great one and signed the boy up there and then!

Friday: Interview 1 for both wife and I.

Saturday: More golf and breakfast

Sunday: Down to Freemantle for a walk and lazy Sunday lunch. Garlic prawns – so awesome!

Monday: Both wife and I are informed that we have second interviews on Thursday coming! Dropped son at pre-school and kissed the wife and flew to Sydney to meet the team (that I will be working remotely with?!?!). Sydney – pretty nice. Not sure - still working it out personally....

Tuesday: Spot more work. Wife has another interview. 2 hours after interview wife now has job secured and starts in 2 weeks!! Great money 2 months earlier and $10k more than planned!! Score. Beers with a few old work and personal friends in Sydney. Opera House on my right and bridge on my left... beer in the middle – all’s good mate

Wednesday: Head is a little sore today.....not sure why A couple of hours in the office and then flying back to Perth this evening! Ready myself for my 2nd interview tomorrow. Little apprehensive – it is an interview for an excellent job with great prospects from what I can see and unfortunately it is first thing in the morning and the other side of Perth so I will get to try out the rush hour drive (which I am expecting to be worse than the rush hour train!!).

What’s next ..... no idea but things are working out for now. Long may it continue. We love it, we can see it is not for everyone and can understand and appreciate that fact. We are VERY fortunate that things are falling into place for us and we are truly grateful for that.

I wish everyone still preparing and planning every success and for those already here I wish you much happiness and success at what you set out to achieve. Positive thinking!!

All the best,

Dilwyn
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What - a week and a half!!!???!!!

Congrats on securing jobs so quickly.
Hope you continue to enjoy your new life in Perth!
Old Jul 7th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What - a week and a half!!!???!!!

Congratulations and wishing you lots of happiness in your new life