Vash's Update Thread

Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

lynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nicelynn2009 is just really nice
Default Re: Vash's 11-day update

Great post cannot wait to read more.
Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EverydaySunshine
Hi,

I enjoyed your post. We too are flying with Cathay Pacific next week. It's a bit worrying that some of your baby supplies were conviscated! I need to take 10 ready made bottles of formula with me. I don't mind tasting one if asked to but all 10... they will go off and we will be left with a young toddler screaming for his milk. Not looking forward to it I must say! Glad you are settling in okay.

All the best.
When I have travelled to Oz with my little one I have bought a special little tub (think from Baby's R Us or something) that can store measured amounts of formula. You can then just ask the staff to fill the bottle with some boiled water (allow to cool to the acceptable temp). The tub has a twist lid so that you can just dispense the measured formula into the bottle and add the water. I found this the easiest method and then at least it is freshly made. How old is your little one? On a trip when our one was 2 we decided to buy some cheap little books/toys etc and then wrap them up in wrapping paper so that she had something to look forward to for good behaviour every couple of hours. Between that, a sleep, the food and the in seat entertainment she was very good so much so that we had people commenting on how brilliant she was (they were the ones that looked at us with worry when they found out they would be sitting near a 2 year old!)

BTW Vash, love the report on your move. We will be doing the same soon (also Aussie citizens). Not sure how long you lived in the UK (you weren't far from us) but would be interesting to see how you find the adjustment of settling back into the Aussie way of life. We are worried we have become too used to the UK that we may find it almost as difficult as the Brits making the move over.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:03 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Vash's 11-day update

Thanks guys.

I should add a few points about our local medical centre. It is open from 07:00-22:00 7 days a week (including public holidays) and is staffed by 16 doctors. It incorporates a dentistry and is equipped with radiology, x-ray and pathology units.

All of the doctors bulk bill, and no appointments are necessary; you just turn up and wait to be served. If you don't want the next doctor available, you can choose to have a different one. This is a huge step up from the little NHS medical centre that we had in Rushall.

Received a phone call from Bell Total Logistics yesterday, informing us that our air freight has arrived and should be released by Friday. Can't wait for that!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zenshin
BTW Vash, love the report on your move. We will be doing the same soon (also Aussie citizens). Not sure how long you lived in the UK (you weren't far from us) but would be interesting to see how you find the adjustment of settling back into the Aussie way of life. We are worried we have become too used to the UK that we may find it almost as difficult as the Brits making the move over.
I was in the UK for just under 6 years (5 years, 9 months). We visited Australia for 3 weeks in 2006 (see my holiday thread here). I wondered if I might find it difficult to adjust, but it hasn't been any trouble at all.

Everything just feels so right and natural. It is such a relief to be back amongst the lovely big houses, tree-lined avenues, modern buildings, incredibly clean streets, zesty eucalypts and wide, straight, open roads with their sensible "grid" layout. We don't live in an expensive suburb, but it feels like one after our time in Rushall!

I never had a problem with Britain's wet weather and overcast days, but I have noticed that we both find it easier to feel optimistic over here. Perhaps it's the sunshine and fresh air.

Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Great update -welcome (back) to the land down under!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I
Everything just feels so right and natural. It is such a relief to be back amongst the lovely big houses, tree-lined avenues, modern buildings, incredibly clean streets, zesty eucalypts and wide, straight, open roads with their sensible "grid" layout. We don't live in an expensive suburb, but it feels like one after our time in Rushall!

I never had a problem with Britain's wet weather and overcast days, but I have noticed that we both find it easier to feel optimistic over here. Perhaps it's the sunshine and fresh air.

Thanks for that Vash. By the time we leave we will have been here 12 years! We have been back about 6 times though with one of them a 3 month stint to have our daughter so that we could be amongst family. We have found that Oz has changed dramatically in that time and looking at it from our perspective not all the changes have been for the better. It has made us appreciate that there are good things in the Uk that we will miss. I know what you mean about the sunshine and fresh air making you more optimistic though. Gosh I can't wait for that feeling again. Must be good knowing you will be there for a nice hot Christmas!
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

I really enjoyed this update, you write very well. Keep it coming
Old Oct 27th 2009, 9:54 pm
Fighting my corner

Thanks RenShen. My mother is an author, and I like to think that I've learned a thing or two from her.

Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread. I love the house, real character
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Great update, enjoyed reading it very much - hope you post more
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

juliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nicejuliemtaylor is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Great update, enjoyed reading it very much - hope you post more
really enjoyed your update posts.

Good Luck

Julie x
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

By way of comparison, here is our UK house; a 2 bed, 1 bath semi on a block somewhere between 300 & 400 square metres:
Som

And here is our Aussie house; a 3 bed, 1 bath bungalow on an 868 square metre corner block, with an outdoor spa, a private office/study for Mrs Stampede and a nice entertaining area at the side:

We bought the house for $225,000 and our mortgage is $158,000. Our repayments are ~$950 per month.
Some newer Australian blocks are not much bigger than that Vash!

Nice house mate - I'd be happy with that. Sensibly small mortgage too. That will help make your life in Australia a lot easier too.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Some newer Australian blocks are not much bigger than that Vash!
Very true! I've been aghast at the sizes of blocks in the new estates. One of my friends told me that theirs is only 300sqm! (Though of course their house will be quite large; probably 200sqm).

I guess that's what you get for insisting on certain suburbs, but it doesn't have to be that way. We're still a comfortable distance to the CBD, and only 5 minutes away from open farmland (Black Top Road leads us directly into the hills). I can't see the point of paying premium prices for the dubious "luxury" of a new build 10 minutes closer to Adelaide.

Nice house mate - I'd be happy with that. Sensibly small mortgage too. That will help make your life in Australia a lot easier too.
Well, we are not rich people so it had to be a cheap place that we could renovate to suit ourselves. But it's not a "bargain basement" dump either, so I reckon we got a pretty good deal.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 27th 2009 at 10:39 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:40 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Great read Vash, glad you all had a good journey.

We arrived in Adelaide on the 8th October and are glad to see the sun and blue skies.

Cooler
Old Oct 27th 2009, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Very true! I've been aghast at the sizes of blocks in the new estates. One of my friends told me that theirs is only 300sqm! (Though of course their house will be quite large; probably 200sqm).

I guess that's what you get for insisting on certain suburbs, but it doesn't have to be that way. We're still a comfortable distance to the CBD, and only 5 minutes away from open farmland (Black Top Road leads us directly into the hills). I can't see the point of paying premium prices for the dubious "luxury" of a new build 10 minutes closer to Adelaide.

Well, we are not rich people so it had to be a cheap place that we could renovate to suit ourselves. But it's not a "bargain basement" dump either, so I reckon we got a pretty good deal.

It's got a lot of character. The street reminds me of an established avenue from the UK.

Keep us posted!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.