Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Update from our Recce trip

Update from our Recce trip

Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

TartanTam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update from our Recce trip

Wasnt sure if it was ok to post this kinda topic here but darn it, I'm just too excited, so am going to update you wether you like it or not.

Arrived in Melbourne at 7:30am on 2nd December after a marathon 3 flights, Edi-LHR-Hong kong-Mel with Cathay Pacific (magic airline btw, great entertainment and very pleasant staff.....I'm 5'10" and had loads of leg room), then boarded a Quantus flight up to Brisbane.
Picked up hire car, fixed my Nokia N95 phone with tom tom 6 and away we went to the Rendezvous hotel in central brissy.
Top hotel, braw and central and well recommended.
Went for a walk all over CBD, checked out Gilhooleys where we planned to meet up with the regular Brissy CBD drinking squad and went back to the hotel for 40 winks........more like 180 winks as woke up at 9pm headed to Gilhooleys and kinda worked out we probably missed everyone.
Ended up in the pig and whistle where we bumped into another Scottish couple on a recce trip and the lassie had just had an interview for paramedic job.
We ended up completely hammered and its just as well this 24 hour bar only serves beer till 2am or we would probably still be there now.
Wednesday was a bit more sensible, check out hotel, headed to Cleveland to check it out, like what we saw, headed down to wards the gold coast checking out quite a few towns on the way down.
Made it to surfers eventually and checked into the Vibe hotel (cheers for the recommendation ) and realised we were in the middle of some kinda Club 18-18 holiday fest.
Good atmosphere though, you couldnt live there but nice to see.
Thurs spent checking out some more places like Highland Park (well I had to look for the whisky) and Robina (which was nice), then on friday we headed back towards Brissy via cleveland, Raby bay and wellington point.
Friday night absolutely chucked it down in Brissy.
Sat morning and it was back to the airport and back to Melbourne where we were picked up by our friends who moved over 3 years ago.
We went for a picnic in the park where the Grand Prix takes place, a wee tour of CBD in the car and then back to theirs for a BBQ and Beer-can Chicken.
Sunday was an early start as their young lad goes to the kids lifeguard club, and lets just say their was a 'fresh' breeze on the beach at Aspendale, I was glad I too a sweatshirt.
Then it was looking at all the open houses and observing an auction first hand. 40+ people looking at a 2 bed bungalow in need of tlc and a separate 1 bed granny flat out the back....no bidders although the auction guy bid up to $540K himself, but no one took him on. No sale.
All of the 10 houses we visited all looked like they were from the 70's decorwise. Sunday night, visited Staligtites Greek restaurant in Melbourne CBD and it was EXCELLENT!
Ok we were still freezing at this point, which is really strange considering we are from Scotland. I was actually starting to think we should come back again but this time during the SUMMER! lol

Monday we were given a car by our hosts and let loose on greater Melbourne and checked out some new houses and land plots to get an idea of that route.

Tuesday we spent walking about Melbourne CBD, some tram tours and Aquarium and it rained all day.

Tuesday night we said goodbye to our pals and headed back to the warmer climbs of a Scottish winter.

the whole point of the trip was to get a feel for the Aussie way of life, firstly make up our mind IF we wanted to go for it and if we did, where (roughly) would we want to go.

Well, the man from Del monte, he say YES!!!!!!!
We are going to go for it, probably a 175 Skilled independent and we are going for Brissy/Gold Coast, for the heat, the beaches and the cosy wee toons (much to the disappointment of our pals in Melbourne).

So thats step 1 of the ladder, with any luck, maybe finally meet the Brissy CBD Tuesday night drinking squad in 2 years

cheers,
Tam & Ang

Top tip: for long haul flights, get the herbal supplement Jet Eaze to curb any jetlag. worled great both ways.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Update from our Recce trip

Best of luck to you both. We too are heading to Brisbane and done our recce / validation trip October 07 which was great! Wish we were over there now as its absolutely freezing here in dear old Glasgow!

Hoping to be out there soon as we sell our house

Lone Ranger
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:58 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you had a great time. Aw the best for your move when it happens.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good Tam, I'm in Monifieth at the moment on my Xmas hols!

I think you lucked out on the weather in Melbourne...I was there most of November and the weather was 'roastin is it' (as they say in the toon) most of the time. I tell ya, after a year in Brisbane you'll be longing for long light summer evenings like back home!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

fantastic update. glad you shared it with us....

good luck on the long journey ahead.

cheryl
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Sounds good Tam, I'm in Monifieth at the moment on my Xmas hols!

I think you lucked out on the weather in Melbourne...I was there most of November and the weather was 'roastin is it' (as they say in the toon) most of the time. I tell ya, after a year in Brisbane you'll be longing for long light summer evenings like back home!
Small world I've got family in Monifieth!

Enjoy

Ginny