Two years in ...

Old Jul 6th 2008, 4:23 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two years in ...

Two years is seen by many immigrants as a tipping point. For many people who are uncertain if they intend to stay in Oz, it marks the point at which they consider themselves to have given the country a fair go and consequently book return flights back to Blighty. For others it marks the point at which they stop feeling the bad pangs of homesickness and start feeling more at home in Oz. In Catherine's case it marks the point at which she can apply for Australian citizenship (Josh qualified from day one). I have asked the great one if she intends to get her citizenship, but she's keeping me guessing. Being on a spouse visa meant she had PR from day one, so beyond the obvious 'benefit' of being able to vote - she's in no rush to spend her afternoon with the mayor to get her flag and pot plant.

So. Two years on - what's changed?

Me
Well firstly, I have my little computer repair business. The work I'm getting won't make us millionaires by Xmas, but it's useful extra income that enables us to do little things like fill the car up with petrol and buy groceries. Since we quit smoking a couple of months ago we've got considerably more disposable income anyway, which I've been blowing on booze, air compressors and Wii games. In that order.

I started out in the computer repair game because I was offered a free franchise, but I've since extracted myself from that contract and will be operating as a sole trader - in charge of my own destiny again. In hindsight, I was a bloody twat to have signed in the first place - the only instances when I can see a franchise being of any value is for something like McDonalds, Dominos or possibly Jim's Mowing. For the vast majority of franchises, all you're doing is needlessly handing over a tithe to someone who's done little more than lend you the use of their logo. I'm bound to get inundated with emails from people saying how good their franchise is - but I honestly believe now that if your business has succeeded, it has bugger all to do with the franchise you bought into - and everything to do with you.

Anyway - I love my job. I get to drive all over this lovely area, fixing misunderstood PCs. The pay's okay, the travel's fun and, since I'm a geek, the fringe benefits (lots of new techy goodies) are excellent. Thanks to my parents who drove all over Shoalhaven City delivering my flyers, I've got a good client-base, which is growing all the time. I'm looking forward to the coming year and ways in which I can grow the business.

On a personal note, I clocked up my first full year as a surf lifesaver, during which I helped patrol our beach here in Shoalhaven Heads. I'm slowly getting to grips with driving the IRB and hope to take my driver's test some time within the next 12 months. I've quit smoking. Again. I have managed to not put on any more weight - but god only knows I could do with taking some off - that's the plan for 2008/09.

I have still not felt any pangs of homesickness. I have no idea why. I just treat each day as I find it and realise that if something goes wrong, it's just 'life' not a god-like vendetta. If I had to complain about anything then it'd be the TV, the radio and the music scene. All three suck - badly. Terrestrial TV here is so bad it makes Channel 5 looks sophisticated. My solution - don't watch it. Get Austar, or download what you want, or like, leave the house and do something non-passive. Not much I can do about the radio stations, which play endless shite soft rock bollocks, beyond making extensive use of my MP3 player which is filled to bursting with quality 'doof doof'.

Catherine
The missus has been making great efforts to redress her work/life balance - by which I mean she's started taking weekends off. It hasn't been easy because she's the main bread winner and we wouldn't be living where we do, in this house, without the long hours she puts into her business. But she's getting there. She's suffered badly from a long string of bugs and infections and injuries that have meant she hasn't been able to exercise when she wanted to - but fingers crossed we're coming out the other side of that period now and she'll be able to put her jogging shoes on again.

Two years in and she has some solid mates who she can sink a couple of bottles of Chardy with and put the world to rights. She's looking forward to her visitors who'll be here in a couple of months. Her parents are here for a month in September and her sister and niece will be here for a couple of weeks in October. Next year she's said she'd like to fly back to the UK to visit everyone else - which is cool.

Josh
We're reliably informed that you can't tell him apart from his aussie-born classmates now - but his accent sounds just the same to us. He's come out of himself a hell of a lot since we arrived here. He has made some very good friends and, despite getting a much stricter male teacher this year - is thoroughly enjoying his classes. He's discovered a love of dancing which we're encouraging by taking him along to breakdancing classes every Monday. He's also started swimming lessons and will begin learning the piano soon. I asked him the other day where he'd rather live - in England or Australia. After giving it a bit of thought, he said, 'England'. I asked him why and he said because it snowed there. I pointed out that we lived just five hours drive from snowy mountains with proper snow and he asked if he could change his choice. I think we'd all like to drive up to the mountains before the winter's out.

Family
The day to day routine that comes with family life doesn't stop just because you've moved to Oz. You still have to pay the bills, do the shopping, cope with illness and accidents - earn a crust or go to school. But for most of us, who lived the majority of our lives in one place in England - that doesn't matter because the context of the routine has changed and that's enough to make it interesting again.

Instead of driving up over Minchinhampton Common to take my son to school at a small village primary, I drive him down Coolangatta Road to a small village primary. Instead of doing a car boot on a Saturday, we go to a country fair. Instead of taking the dog for a walk along the cycle path, we go for a walk along the beach.. Instead of having a day out in London, we have a day out in Sydney.

Some conclusions ...

The broad brush strokes of life are the same wherever you live on the planet - but there are some things that make life fundamentally better for us here. I genuinely believe that aussies are a friendlier bunch than the equivalent Brits. We moved from small town England to small town Australia and the fact is that after five years in the same town in the Cotswolds, not one shopkeeper knew my name - over here after just two years they all know me, they all happily pass the time of day, they all ask after the family. In the UK talk at parties was always about the car you drove, the profit you'd made on your house, the far-flung destination you were jetting off to on your holidays, the number of extra-curricular activities your children were involved in. Whilst I'm sure that keeping-up-with-the-Jones is alive and well in the cities, down here nobody gives a shit what car you drive or how much cash you've got in the bank.

Nobody's suggesting that the aussies have some perfect society - god only knows it's an over-governed place that's often as backwards as it is enlightened. But you know what - I like it. It's not up itself like where I came from and I remain happy to call this place home.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:57 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two years in ...

Originally Posted by Hutch

Some conclusions ...

The broad brush strokes of life are the same wherever you live on the planet - but there are some things that make life fundamentally better for us here. I genuinely believe that aussies are a friendlier bunch than the equivalent Brits. We moved from small town England to small town Australia and the fact is that after five years in the same town in the Cotswolds, not one shopkeeper knew my name - over here after just two years they all know me, they all happily pass the time of day, they all ask after the family. In the UK talk at parties was always about the car you drove, the profit you'd made on your house, the far-flung destination you were jetting off to on your holidays, the number of extra-curricular activities your children were involved in. Whilst I'm sure that keeping-up-with-the-Jones is alive and well in the cities, down here nobody gives a shit what car you drive or how much cash you've got in the bank.

Nobody's suggesting that the aussies have some perfect society - god only knows it's an over-governed place that's often as backwards as it is enlightened. But you know what - I like it. It's not up itself like where I came from and I remain happy to call this place home.

I like yoru post and glad you are happy, I agree about people, they make such a difference, Every family member who has visited me has noticed the same thing, people are nicer in general.

I think it is not always just the people, just the circumstances around them that make them the way they are.

Good post
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent update. Thanks for telling us your story so far. I hope you and family continue to live a happy and full life.

Tracy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Shanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really niceShanaghy is just really nice

great post hutch really enjoyed reading
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:23 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Matey, you have such a great way of writing about life here. You sound so settled and mellow (OK, except for when you've got your MP3 player on ).

Congrats to the three of you for making the very best of your life here, and here's to many many happy years.

And Catherine - more Chardy, less work
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

cazw1405 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post!

Good for you!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Two years in ...

On a personal note, I clocked up my first full year as a surf lifesaver, during which I helped patrol our beach here in Shoalhaven Heads.
I admire you. Every time I see 71-year old Peter Anderson pulling tourists out of rips from astride his jetski on Surf Patrol, I feel a deep desire to get off my arse and get involved. Good on you for actually having done this.

I have still not felt any pangs of homesickness. I have no idea why. I just treat each day as I find it and realise that if something goes wrong, it's just 'life' not a god-like vendetta.
I conclude these two statements are irrevocably connected. You and I have very similar mind sets.

There are some people who post on BE who emigrate and you almost don't notice they've crossed the world, their life just goes on. Wendy is one that springs to mind, you're another.

Keep up the good work.

Buzzy
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Another fantastic update Are you & Wendy in competition?

A really great read, thanks!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:38 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, cant believe its been 2 years though.
Keep it up, best wishes to all 3 of you . xxxxx
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:49 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
Great update, cant believe its been 2 years though.
Keep it up, best wishes to all 3 of you . xxxxx
Oi oi - still following the cherry and white though - lol
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:00 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

I should think so too!

Oi oi - still following the cherry and white though - lol
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic Hutch, a great well balanced post
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I love reading your posts, Hutch. You and yours seem so settled. Congratulations to Catherine on being eligible for the pot plant and afternoon with the mayor.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 10:52 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

A really good post, mirrors our life as well.

2 years in September. Bring on the pot plant!!

Err ... do you get extradited if you kill it as I'm not good with pot plants ...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
A really good post, mirrors our life as well.

2 years in September. Bring on the pot plant!!

Err ... do you get extradited if you kill it as I'm not good with pot plants ...
Hope not. I can kill a silk plant.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.