Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Time to return to the UK

Time to return to the UK

Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

katherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nicekatherinious is just really nice
Default Time to return to the UK

In a couple of day’s time, we’re leaving Sydney for good and taking a long, slow journey back to the UK. We’ve been in Sydney for almost 2 years now and have had an absolute ball. I just thought I’d take a few minutes to share some details on our experience.

We arrived in June 2006 on a 457. My OH (an Accountant) had managed to secure a job from a couple of phone interviews and within about 8 weeks of getting the job, we had packed up our lives and moved from London to Sydney. It’s not as spontaneous as it sounds as we’d planned a year in advance that we were going to do this, we just needed to get the job that would enable us to move across painlessly.

It took me around 3 months to secure a job, but after a 3 month contract job I managed to get a permanent job working in online marketing for a financial institution. We set up home in Rozelle and have been happy here though were forced to move 3 times in 18 months, but not through choice!

One of the main reasons we came was to travel and as we’d never visited Australia before, we made the most of every weekend, public holiday and annual leave allowance to explore this vast continent. We’ve managed to tick off all of these places… a driving holiday to Victoria (including the GOR), Uluru, Canberra, Gold Coast, Cairns/Port Douglas, Tasmania, an epic 4WD adventure from Darwin to Broome (this included getting stranded in the Kimberley during freakish dry season weather), Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour and loads of places in and around Sydney on both the north and south coasts. And before we leave we’ll be hitting Broken Hill, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island, Perth (thanks to the Indian Pacific Railway) and a west coast adventure (up to Exmouth and back).

We came to Sydney with hardly any expectations (we knew there was an Opera House and a Harbour Bridge and that was about it!) and to say that we’ve had a fantastic time really doesn’t do it justice. It’s an amazing country and I feel really privileged to have been able to come here and to experience so much.

And whilst I’m really sad to be leaving Australia, I’m really ready for the next chapter to begin. We’re travelling on the way home and have plenty of reasons to be excited about going back, least of all because we’re getting married next year. Sydney is a beautiful city and we’d never to say never to coming back again… there’s still so much of the country left to explore, but there’s also a lot of world out there to see too.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:52 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to return to the UK

Excellent post

All the best in your new life and congrats on getting married

I'll watch with interest to see if you head back to Australia in the next year or so
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Sounds like you`ve both had a fabulous time, congrats on the wedding BTW, I bet you`l get bk to OZ in the future sometime!

bluekipper
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:27 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you enjoyed Sydney and Australia in general and congratulations on your engagement.

Best of luck back in blighty & long may your spirit of adventure continue
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:17 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Time to return to the UK

Great stuff! Glad you had a good time Down Under, and wish you all the best for Blighty.

Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great trip back and well done on seeing so much. Many many people are here far longer than you and never manage to get outside their neighbourhood.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by katherinious
And whilst I’m really sad to be leaving Australia, I’m really ready for the next chapter to begin. We’re travelling on the way home and have plenty of reasons to be excited about going back, least of all because we’re getting married next year. Sydney is a beautiful city and we’d never to say never to coming back again… there’s still so much of the country left to explore, but there’s also a lot of world out there to see too.

That's the spirit!!! Thankyou for your positive attitude! It was nice to read your story.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Wow! you have been busy. That was a great post, thanks for sharing it. All the best for your forthcoming wedding and your future - where ever you decide to be.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:25 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Great post. All the best with your future plans.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What a wonderful & positive post!
Glad you are enjoying yourselves.
Enjoy the trip back & keep us updated re the wedding & your next adventures!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:24 pm
East Mids to Vic

Laura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really niceLaura and Tom is just really nice

That was a really lovely post, enjoy the journey back!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Great post.
Good luck with your future!
x
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

arentol is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome post! I love stories like that and wish everyone had your positive outlook on life!

Aren -