so much to take in...

Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:12 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: so much to take in...

Originally Posted by Mummy3
ok, jet lag and a cold, hyper out of routine kids...
but also loving the warmth, yes its warmer in Melbourne than summer in UK!! the sounds of the birds, the friendliness everywhere, it really has been a good couple of days.
just need to think about a rental, a car, medicare forms, getting to grips with new banking, registering to work.

got a mobile sim today, but found my uk was phone was locked, luckily have old phone with us so swapped them over, not using uk phone as costing a fortune, but also a fortune to terminate.
but feeling positive and off to tour potential suburbs tommorow...

and to work out how to shop cheaper... eek!!
Depends who your mobile provider is you can do it online ie google O2 unlock phone, generally brings a page up from O2 to fill in, takes a couple of days but it's free and they don't advertise it. Don't know about other network providers though

Good luck, how the kids adapting?
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Kids are loving it. Lots of new friends, school is exciting. They had a tight knit group at home and school so was worried but the kids here have accepted them no problem.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 9:33 pm
Planning for the future

Emma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of lightEmma_Par is a glorious beacon of light

Kids are loving it. Lots of new friends, school is exciting. They had a tight knit group at home and school so was worried but the kids here have accepted them no problem.
Thats fantastic to hear, that's my biggest worry, aswell as choosing schools!!!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Yeah, kids are fine, school is great, just me struggling to meet people and make friends
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: so much to take in...

Yeah, kids are fine, school is great, just me struggling to meet people and make friends
That bit should be easy if you have kids - have you tried volunteering at the kids school, joining the parents association etc? Or in fact any volunteering at all, normally the local paper has things you can get involved in, you will meet lots of people and one of them could be your new best friend for life!

BB
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, have started to go into school, it's just the parents seem tight in their friendship groups, not unfriendly, just need to be a bit more out there I suppose!!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, have started to go into school, it's just the parents seem tight in their friendship groups, not unfriendly, just need to be a bit more out there I suppose!!
It does not take much to infiltrate those groups, turn up to some school social or volunteering things, such as working bees etc.

BB
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:20 am
Planning for the future

My friend that emmigrated a couple of years ago said to me 'find out who your kids play with at school and introduce yourself to their mums and invite over for coffee n play date after school'
You could try that, good luck, let me know how you get on. I know one of my friends in uk did it when her daughter went secondary school and she said it worked well there too (although hers was a Friday evening nibbles, girls to old for 'play dates' lol)
Keep chin up I'm sure you'll be fine
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Have tried that and had kids over already. Will keep trying
Old Aug 7th 2012, 12:48 pm
Planning for the future

Have tried that and had kids over already. Will keep trying
Have you tried having the parents over at the same time for coffee? PTA are good to get to know parents, what about volunteering at school?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Had the parent over too, but no return invites yet...
Did the whole PTA thing in the UK and well, let's say am in no hurry to repeat the experience!!!
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:43 pm
Planning for the future

Had the parent over too, but no return invites yet...
Did the whole PTA thing in the UK and well, let's say am in no hurry to repeat the experience!!!
Lol I know what you mean with the whole PTA think, however must admit I did it when my daughter started school (let's just say it reminded me of play ground antics when I was at school lol) however 4 years later when my son started I thought I'd give it another go and was pleasantly surprised, the PTA had changed hands, of course you get the occasional clicky people but the majority are lovely. You can only give it a go and take it as it comes.

I'll be taking my own advise end sept and will be glad for any tips you may have too
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am sure in a couple of months I will look back at this and think what was my problem, everything is fine... OH has been working away and on my own, feeling really on my own.
My plan was to do everything mentioned, maybe am not as brave as others!!
But thank you for your advice
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:02 pm
Planning for the future

I am sure in a couple of months I will look back at this and think what was my problem, everything is fine... OH has been working away and on my own, feeling really on my own.
My plan was to do everything mentioned, maybe am not as brave as others!!
But thank you for your advice
It sounds like you are in the same boat as I will be in, 3 kids at home different country while OH is away working. I just keep thinking of the quality time we will have together when he gets home. I know it's gonna be hard, just take each day as it comes, bite size pieces

How old are your little darlings?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

They are 9,7&5.

Ok, took bull by horns and asked a neighbour who is also a school mum for a coffee. Am organising small parties for my kids birthdays next month and hopefully a couple of mums might stay and chat!!
Tommorow there is a grade 2 mums coffee with the principal so will go and be chatty...
Oh and there is PFA next week....
Fingers crossed it works!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.