Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Siderney - 23 DAY Update

Siderney - 23 DAY Update

Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Andy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to all
Default Siderney - 23 DAY Update

Hey folks,

As with many other users and lurkers, I used to enjoy the update posts to see what peoples' perceptions of their new home were like.

So a bit about about us. 38 year old Business/Test Analyst from Edinburgh and my 30 something Accountant missus also from Embra. Landed in Sydney on 24th February......About teatime. Over on a permanent residency 175 Visa. The missus is the primary holder and I've pretty much come as her de-fatco husband.

We haven't been able to sell our Flat in the UK, and have emigrated at a time when the Exchange Rate is at an all time low. It's been an incredibly risky move when we only had about £15000 of savings to fall back on. I've been waiting, I suppose like everybody else for the Pound to show some sort of life and seem to have had to change cash every time there's a new low in exchange rates. There's normally the daily routine of login to the BBC Market Data page and then indulge in some recreational swearing for 10 minutes upon seeing the dollar strengthen every day. In some respects the little amount of capital we have isn't going to be an issue with the exchange rates, a larger amount to transfer may make me think long and hard about the emigration process. Should the flat ever sell, I think we'll keep the dough in the UK and invest it in the hope that at some point down the line, some semblance of normality returns to the currency market.

TFN, Medicare, Drivers License are a doddle. No real need to expand on these.

So, to re-cap: Flat not sold, exchange rate p!sh and not much cash.

Now to the good, the bad and the plain ugly.

The Good: after 2 weeks both the missus and I have jobs, in fact both of us had a choice of employers. The Missus got 100% of the jobs she went for (Well 2 outta 2 anyway) and I got 2 out of 3, so in terms of consistency 66.66666%.

Both of us start on Monday. This has meant the small amount of cash we did have isn't so much of an issue as we're now gonna be earning 'Straylian.

How bad is that? I have the work bit in the "Good" section? Is this what's it's come down to, validating my life only by the fact I can get a job? Jay-sus.

Aussie punters have been incredibly helpfully and friendly to a fault.
Weather has been OK, have seen some rain, In fact have seen a lot of rain, but this week has been immense.
Sydney itself. I'll come clean and say that I do enjoy the odd creature comfort, so the fact I'm sitting in an empty flat with 2 beanbags and Freedom Crockery Box as a table is a killer. Cannae wait for our stuff to arrive at the end of next month. However my point is that the good stuff is next to free, a Ferry to Manly is $12 return and you have an amazing beach for free all day. Take a pic-er-nic and the world's your lobster.

Currently using Vodaphone Mobile Broadband. $79 for the Dongle + 1GB of Download time is a great way to get online quickly and easily when you arrive.

The Bad: Rentals in Sydney. F**k me furiously. That's not an experience I'm keen to repeat again, what a miserable task that is. Trailing around real estate agents, speaking to bawsack after bawsack. Then the pure joy that is an Open Inspection. We went to see one gaff in Glebe. Was a 3 bed town house for $700 per week, inspection was 4:45 - 5:00. 70, count em, 70 punters turned up. The only thing I can tell you about that particular property is that with 70 punters in it, it was a bit small, also there was a sh!tload of water damage, still this didn't stop at least 10 -15 parties putting in applications. On the other hand, the rental we're now in @ Camperdown was only viewed by 2 people, of which the other couple's nipper fell down the stairs so we got it be default. (This bit should be in "Good Part", to be fair).

The Ugly: Cockroaches. Give me the dry boak.

Sooo, In general, it's been really positive for us. You can still emigrate on not a lot of cash, it's gonna be hard but we'll get there eventually.

Andy

PS. Barbecues - Went to Barbecues Galore at Moore Park last week, and I've a sneaking suspicion these cooking behemoths are not marketed at women. What to choose? The Turbo Elite or the Beefmaster? Decisions decisions. Beefmaster.........still makes me laugh.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Siderney - 23 DAY Update

Good update and very amusing to boot!

Hope you enjoy Oz its a bit different to Scotland but thats why I like it.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 6:10 am
Just Joined

Andy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to allAndy1875 is a name known to all

Cheers Mike.

It's been slightly weird, so far, met my Mum and Dad's best man at their wedding from 1969 for a few beers at the Opera Bar yesterday. They are over seeing his wife's brother at the moment. Haven't seen them since I was 11. Had a great day though.

And now for the philosophical bit. The thing I like most about Sydney is that it isn't Scotland, I've the freedom to be a better version of the person i was at home, without anybody putting you down or telling you any different. Why I couldn't do this back in Edinburgh is probably something best left to me and a therapists couch.

Cheers
Andy

And for those of you with a creature aversion.

The count is:
Big f**k off spiders: 0
Snakes: 1, although it was a harmless Green Tree Snake basking in the branches of a bush as we walked up the cliffs in Manly from Shelly Beach
Cockroaches: 2 big Uns, 2 Small Uns and 1 Baby.
Old Mar 19th 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about

Nice avatar Jerry!

Yeah its anyone guess why Edinburgh is such a dull place when it has so much culture and natural beauty but bloody hell life there for me was dull!

Never been to Sydney as yet but it looks not bad on the old postcard, can't wait to pay her a visit. My feeling is that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the UK its more the way of life its hardly conducive to actually living one!

Australia has a free aspect that I seem to be at home with and able to exploit to make life bloody easy really. Like I say the UK or Scotland for us is a good place but it doesn't seem to bring out the best in me or many others.

Enjoy the pretty city

PS Hearts or Hibs?
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Good amusing update, good luck with the rest - remember eating off our microwave box for 2 months, when we brought patio furniture it became 'bedside box' - we felt kinda sad letting it go when our furniture arrived
Old Mar 19th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

The Cabbage........Although the missus is a filthy Jambo.

Hi Wendy, yep the Crockery box has been a useful servant so far. God bless her, and all who use her as an occasional table.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Makes a change to the usual TFN, ABN, bank accounts, mobiles, Medicare and dolphins stories interspersed with 'lovely'.

Nice one. Don't sweat the BBQ. Any one will do - get one with a cover!!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Mar 21st 2010 at 8:25 am.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

The_Foulgers will become famous soon enoughThe_Foulgers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Andy1875
Hey folks,

As with many other users and lurkers, I used to enjoy the update posts to see what peoples' perceptions of their new home were like.

So a bit about about us. 38 year old Business/Test Analyst from Edinburgh and my 30 something Accountant missus also from Embra. Landed in Sydney on 24th February......About teatime. Over on a permanent residency 175 Visa. The missus is the primary holder and I've pretty much come as her de-fatco husband.

We haven't been able to sell our Flat in the UK, and have emigrated at a time when the Exchange Rate is at an all time low. It's been an incredibly risky move when we only had about £15000 of savings to fall back on. I've been waiting, I suppose like everybody else for the Pound to show some sort of life and seem to have had to change cash every time there's a new low in exchange rates. There's normally the daily routine of login to the BBC Market Data page and then indulge in some recreational swearing for 10 minutes upon seeing the dollar strengthen every day. In some respects the little amount of capital we have isn't going to be an issue with the exchange rates, a larger amount to transfer may make me think long and hard about the emigration process. Should the flat ever sell, I think we'll keep the dough in the UK and invest it in the hope that at some point down the line, some semblance of normality returns to the currency market.

TFN, Medicare, Drivers License are a doddle. No real need to expand on these.

So, to re-cap: Flat not sold, exchange rate p!sh and not much cash.

Now to the good, the bad and the plain ugly.

The Good: after 2 weeks both the missus and I have jobs, in fact both of us had a choice of employers. The Missus got 100% of the jobs she went for (Well 2 outta 2 anyway) and I got 2 out of 3, so in terms of consistency 66.66666%.

Both of us start on Monday. This has meant the small amount of cash we did have isn't so much of an issue as we're now gonna be earning 'Straylian.

How bad is that? I have the work bit in the "Good" section? Is this what's it's come down to, validating my life only by the fact I can get a job? Jay-sus.

Aussie punters have been incredibly helpfully and friendly to a fault.
Weather has been OK, have seen some rain, In fact have seen a lot of rain, but this week has been immense.
Sydney itself. I'll come clean and say that I do enjoy the odd creature comfort, so the fact I'm sitting in an empty flat with 2 beanbags and Freedom Crockery Box as a table is a killer. Cannae wait for our stuff to arrive at the end of next month. However my point is that the good stuff is next to free, a Ferry to Manly is $12 return and you have an amazing beach for free all day. Take a pic-er-nic and the world's your lobster.

Currently using Vodaphone Mobile Broadband. $79 for the Dongle + 1GB of Download time is a great way to get online quickly and easily when you arrive.

The Bad: Rentals in Sydney. F**k me furiously. That's not an experience I'm keen to repeat again, what a miserable task that is. Trailing around real estate agents, speaking to bawsack after bawsack. Then the pure joy that is an Open Inspection. We went to see one gaff in Glebe. Was a 3 bed town house for $700 per week, inspection was 4:45 - 5:00. 70, count em, 70 punters turned up. The only thing I can tell you about that particular property is that with 70 punters in it, it was a bit small, also there was a sh!tload of water damage, still this didn't stop at least 10 -15 parties putting in applications. On the other hand, the rental we're now in @ Camperdown was only viewed by 2 people, of which the other couple's nipper fell down the stairs so we got it be default. (This bit should be in "Good Part", to be fair).

The Ugly: Cockroaches. Give me the dry boak.

Sooo, In general, it's been really positive for us. You can still emigrate on not a lot of cash, it's gonna be hard but we'll get there eventually.

Andy

PS. Barbecues - Went to Barbecues Galore at Moore Park last week, and I've a sneaking suspicion these cooking behemoths are not marketed at women. What to choose? The Turbo Elite or the Beefmaster? Decisions decisions. Beefmaster.........still makes me laugh.
Really enjoyed reading your update, we're still in the process of applying for visa's ourselves. I'm a software test analyst myself so pleased to hear that the job market sounds promising. My husband is also in IT, Network and Systems support. I have to say we are heading, hopefully anyway, for the other side of the country, but one of our state options is NSW and Sydney purely because looking at the jobs I get sent from Seek there appeared to be a lot in both our disciplines and have both had good feedback from agencies, but really glad to hear that things genuinely sound good on the job front.
Look forward to hearing more of your updates.